AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sold a dreamvision cinex one DLP projector (not yet delivered). The salesperson promised me I would not see any black bars on either the sides or top and bottom. Has anybody have experience with this.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
If he said you would never see bars, regardless of projector type, he was fibbing or grossly uneducated about what he was selling and about how projectors work.

I have to claim ignorance to the particular DLP model you're speaking of, but black bars are a factor of both the projector's aspect ratio (DLP projectors are typically 4:3, AKA 1.33) and the screen aspect ratio, which can be just about anything, but commonly 4:3 or 16:9. If you have a 16:9 screen and you show 4:3 material without zooming/stretching (which would mess up the picture geometry), you'll have bars on the sides of the screen. In basic terms, the 16:9 (AKA 1.78) screen is wider than the 4:3 (AKA 1.33) picture.

Likewise, if you watch DVDs, they usually are either 1.85 or 2.35 aspect ratio. Again, if you have a 1.78 screen, you'll have skinny bars on the top and bottom of the screen for 1.85, and taller bars for 2.35 DVDs. In basic terms, the 16:9 screen is not "wide" enough (or, is "too tall") for either the 1.85 or 2.35 picture.

That said, there's NOTHING wrong with having bars--it is simply an indicator that you're viewing the material (be it standard TV or a 2.35 movie) in the state the director intended you to view it. Yes, you can make the black bars disappear, but doing so will mutilate the picture--you're either going to have to stretch it or zoom it, and you'll end up with at best short, fat people or at worst missing about 30-50% of the picture.

Again, about the only time you won't have "empty space" (AKA black bars) on the screen is if the aspect ratio of what you're watching matches the apsect ratio of the screen (e.g., 4:3 video on a 4:3 screen, 16:9 HDTV on a 16:9 screen, 2.35 movie on a 2.35 screen).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.