AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

My second post here at AVS...this time with a challenge to you guys. I know YOU know a lot of stuff about these displays and also know that you willing to share: let your imagination fly! Why would you buy one version over the other? Don't mention the price (except if it is a very good deal) you guys can do better than that! Mention those things you've always wanted to say but that you nobody would care about...Keep in mind I'm a home user that will watch movies, sports and some shows (who doesn't??) TH-42PD25U vs. TH-42PW7UY :confused:

So let the games begin!!!....Thanks!:D

· Registered
1,061 Posts
My short answer:

All-in-one feature go with 25U

Just the monitor go with 7UY.

FYI, I went with commercial since didn't need/want speakers built in.

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer iqwertyi!! valid and bold. Actually makes sense...I would hook it up to my HT gear right away...now I kinda like the cablecard thing...

· Registered
1,061 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting a cheaper screen without features makes sense...I'm just not sure if the wife would like a "TV without speakers" (that's the way she'd see it)...:(

· Registered
17 Posts
From what I gather from the plethora of info on this site is that the commercial series offers:

1. 3:2 pulldown

2. 720p native

3. more picture adjustment settings

The consumer dosent offer these features. Does this sound right?

· Banned
10,928 Posts
These features are driving my decision towards the 7UY...

7th generation Plasma

Increased phosphor life... 60,000 hours

Increased protection against burn-in (so Panasonic claims)

Supports native 720p

Will most likely cost $1000's less than the equivalent consumer (ONYX) series. Although I'm not sure if there is another lower priced consumer series to be released supporting native 720p, which if true may change everything.

Personally I don't need the internal NTSC/ATSC tuner or speakers.

A CableCARD option is nice, but I like my HD DVR that supports HDMI & pass-through

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments OPt...BTW what is the ATSC tuner for???...more and more the 7uy sounds like my choice...I saw it at plasma concepts at [MSRP is allowed]!!! I'm getting closer!

· Registered
1,061 Posts
It's basically a tuner built in to the unit. If you happen to be using an outdoor antenna or analog cable.

But if you are using Digital cable (which comes with a box with your subscription) or DirecTV or other satellite, you pretty much do not need it.

· Registered
7,205 Posts
One very important thing before buying a Commercial Displays is to check if there's an Authorized Repair Shop close to where you live. Since Commercial Models come with Carry-In Warrranty, in case of a problem the Display must be shipped at the owner's expense to the repair shop.

For a List click on my signature (Section 20) or use the Panasonic Service Center Locator

· Registered
209 Posts
With all the information you've given us so far I'd suggest the PD25.

It's built more for the average consumer like yourself. It has Cablecard tuner you said you might like and the speakers your wife likes.

Most importantly it has plenty of inputs on the back and front, so you won't have to worry about not having the right plugs on the back or not enough of them.

I'm sure plenty of people will tell you not to listen to me and that the 7UY will be such a better panel.

It will have a better picture, but if your not the type of person who's going to use all those extra harder to use picture controls then it probably won't be that much better. Keep in mind that the 7UY wouldn't even be getting the hype it's getting if previous models didn't blow people away.

Also I'll believe the 60000 hrs when I see it. As good of a TV as panasonic is, they are the worst at exagerating specs. Some people may not know this but the 60000 hr spec at one point was given for the PD25 models on their website if you clicked on the FAQ. Now they've removed it.

In the end the PD25 will give features and ease of use that will make you happier with your purchase.

Also I know you didn't care about price, but keep in mind these sets might run you about the same price once you add in the extra terminal boards and/or RCA-BCN connectors, possibly the base, and shipping( I wouldn't think the tax could be too high in MN)

Hope this helps

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Caltvdude, thanks for a great recap! Twindux, thanks for that link and you are right! they are claiming 60,000 hrs on all plasmas without disclaimer (just the *for factory settings) that makes it more appealing....My wife cut any chance of getting the commercial now (she told me last night that she wants it Silver!!...at least she wants it now, two weeks ago she didn't want to talk about it) because she doesn't like dark TVs....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.