AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks have been discussing the what they consider the premier blu-ray movies to have and usually on everybodies list is the BBC Planet Earth series. I just recently purchased my first HDTV (Panny 50" 85U) and also have the BD-35 player. So far very happy with what I have seen.

My question is are teh IMAX Blu-ray movies anywhere on par with BBC Planet Earth series?

IMAX Blu-ray

Mother Earth

Blue Planet

Coral Reef Adventure

Ocean Oasis

Alaska - Spirit of the Wild

Cosmic Voyage/ Destination in Space

The Living Sea

and more..

What do you guys think of these? Worth the investment to get?

I am starting my collection of Blu-ray and trying to find definitive quality movies that really show off the plasma/blu-ray experience. I know opinions are subjective and am just curious to your views.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
From the screen grabs I've seen, they haven't been getting very good transfers, worse than most 35mm transfers even. If you want to see IMAX on your HDTV, certain segments of The Dark Knight would be a better choice. Baraka would also be an excellent choice, it was shot on 70mm/5perf, which is a smaller negative than IMAX film but still looks better for some reason

(however I have not seen all of those movies, maybe some of them are better than others)

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
OK, I hate resurrecting an old thread as much as anyone... but this thread is exactly what I was looking for after all the recent Transformers 2 & Dark Knight IMAX discussions.

Has anything changed since this time last year? Aside from the recent blockbuster movies with IMAX scenes... are there any other standout IMAX or similar Blu ray releases?

FYI, I already have Baraka (not IMAX but from an 8K transfer of 70mm)... and am looking for any other good recommendations for super quality video.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Did they ever release the Ultimate IMAX collection on Blu? I might would spring for that if there were enough good vs bad in there.

I know some of the nature-IMAC films are just eye candy without story, but at a "bulk" price I might be enticed into the whole shebang.

Otherwise I'll probably pick one or two based on the recommendations (and check out some reviews) just to have a few for the scenery.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul /forum/post/17402402

How the West Was Won looks as good as any IMAX title on Blu.

I would agree with that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.