AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.imaxprivatetheater.com/imagine-it-in-imax.html

Saw this as a article from avscience on my facebook page and thought it would be great to post it here again. IMAX is offering a select few to have the IMAX experience at home and build the theater for around a couple of milion bucks. (30ft wide screen 17.5 feet tall
) around 1200 sqft space.

I was wondering if this could be done cheaper? Wish they would just offer the room layout and design for a few thousand bucks, and then the room build can be DIYed( structure, speakers acoustic treatments) at a fraction of the above cost. This would would then leave the only major cost in the build to be the projectors.

Man oh man! that would be a fun project to do! I am sure some one on the forum will take inspiration and build this kind of room in the future..I know i want to!!.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I think Big probably just fell over in his chair at the thought of DIY'ing one of those systems....well beyond the play sand "right of passage" in terms of carrying heavy "stuff"!!

I think it's a nice idea, but how do you get the IMAX content to really make it shine???!!!! I saw Dark Night in IMAX and even in theatrical release there was only less than 10 minutes of footage that was truly in full-on IMAX mode.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was assuming the IMAX home theater concept is not just for watching IMAX content alone. They said its designed to watch everything from regular movies to cable shows. I guess for non IMAX content there are different lens options to fill the whole screen without sacrificing much resolution. Its the whole idea of getting immersed in such a large screen at home which is so tempting.

I am sure Big will take up the project or supervise a crew to do it
a decade or more ago just talking about DIY theaters with 200 inch home theater screens was unrealistic. Now not so much. When I see older theater build threads on AVS and other websites and compare it with the current ones the transition to bigger and better DIY builds looks rapid enough over the years. I don't see why it cant be done with the right motivation and people to take up the challenge

As with all new technologies i hope in the future this will become a common and affordable Project for all homeowners who have the interest and space to do it.

After looking at the article today.. i was telling to myself " Man i never wanted something so bad"..i then told my wife and she gave me that look

·
Registered
4,968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao  /t/1469752/imax-private-theater-for-your-home#post_23240743

I was assuming the IMAX home theater concept is not just for watching IMAX content alone. They said its designed to watch everything from regular movies to cable shows. I guess for non IMAX content there are different lens options to fill the whole screen without sacrificing much resolution. Its the whole idea of getting immersed in such a large screen at home which is so tempting.

Naturally it would be for everyday use. I guess it just depends on how well their interpolation / upscaling algorithms can effectively upconvert native 1080p content. When I was in California a couple of months back I stopped by one of the very few Magnolia Hi-Fi stores that had the new 84" Sony 4K television on display. It was very impressive with native 4K content (the demo material was some lame Taylor Swift video where she is walking around with her friends in thick white pajamas), but when they put on ESPN for a 1080p basketball game and upconverted the signal to 4K it was watchable but certainly not something where I would consider myself blown away. The graphics were really sharp....the players and the action...not so much. If that's Sony's best effort on an 84" diagonal 1.78:1 screen I would hate to see what the upconversion to a 30 ft. wide screen would be. There's probably something to do with the way our eyes perceive resolution reflected off an acoustically transparent screen that compensates, but even still....

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats so true Tim!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1469752/imax-private-theater-for-your-home#post_23241602

Until I win the lottery, I'll sit closer to the screen (poor man's IMAX).

Lol me too!!

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Kinda been waiting to see when this would finally hit the AVS airwaves. Looks like IMAX has finally gone public.
Yes, we are partnered with IMAX...and Vik...it's not as simple as DIY. Lot more involved. Not sure what I can disclose at this time though.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
The IMAX equipment (speakers, amps, projection screen, projection system, etc.) all comes from IMAX and is the same gear, same engineers, same support chain as used in the commercial IMAX theaters. An IMAX private theater will never be a DIY project. While IMAX does not do the construction of the room the fundamental system engineering (acoustics, seating placement, etc.) is all done by IMAX engineers.

In much the same manner, a THX Certified Professional Screening room, is engineered by THX, you use the equipment they suggest for the room and all speaker placements, seating placements, etc. are designed or approved by them (and subsequently they come in and validate and test the Audio and Video to make certain all the specs align with their requirements.

In other words, for both THX and IMAX, if it ain't their stuff, ain't their engineering, and doesn't meet their specifications when completed it ain't IMAX or THX. End of discussion. If you want to build your own Ferrari in your garage, have at it; but, what rolls out will not be a Ferrari.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the point Dennis !
I will have to step up my investment game and also start saving up!
Its awesome your team has partnered with IMAX, looking forward to see some pics of any future build on your website portfolio with more info. What they provided on their website was more like a teaser.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine  /t/1469752/imax-private-theater-for-your-home#post_23243502

The IMAX equipment (speakers, amps, projection screen, projection system, etc.) all comes from IMAX and is the same gear, same engineers, same support chain as used in the commercial IMAX theaters. An IMAX private theater will never be a DIY project. While IMAX does not do the construction of the room the fundamental system engineering (acoustics, seating placement, etc.) is all done by IMAX engineers.

In much the same manner, a THX Certified Professional Screening room, is engineered by THX, you use the equipment they suggest for the room and all speaker placements, seating placements, etc. are designed or approved by them (and subsequently they come in and validate and test the Audio and Video to make certain all the specs align with their requirements.

In other words, for both THX and IMAX, if it ain't their stuff, ain't their engineering, and doesn't meet their specifications when completed it ain't IMAX or THX. End of discussion. If you want to build your own Ferrari in your garage, have at it; but, what rolls out will not be a Ferrari.
Dennis, the private home indoor IMAX theater sounds great. Especially if one has the money for it. How would the IMAX engineers help create a private home outdoor IMAX theater?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Seems overkill to me but if you have wads of cash that you are going to waste on chroming your Fisker Karma (ala Bieber) then an IMAX home theater seems a better way to spend your dough.

I think a 10'-15' screen with 4k projection would be more than satisfactory for 99.99% of people.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine  /t/1469752/imax-private-theater-for-your-home/0_100#post_23243502

So........ when is the Erskine Group building a demo IMAX screening room??

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts

Quote:
How do you project the image all the way down to the floor without people's heads getting in the way? If the projectors are set very high, don't you introduce terrible keystoning into the image?
Ever been in commercial IMAX theater? The same way (including the use of two projectors).

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator  /t/1469752/imax-private-theater-for-your-home/0_40#post_23245849

If the projectors are set very high, don't you introduce terrible keystoning into the image?

Look at the pictures, the projector is not very high in fact it looks to be 15-20% of the screen height down from the top of the image. Lower than most HTs I've built.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts