AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a little shocked to find out that this title is only out in 4:3. The picture quality is fantastic, and the launches are downright speaker eaters, but the 4:3 kills it for me. I was starting to wonder what was going on (my 4805 started it up in 16:9) when the Russian officers' hats looked about three feet wide. When I correctly resized it, much of gee whiz factor was gone from the earth shots.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Yeh, I watched that last week or so. I don't mind the occasional 4x3, particulary for documentatary stuff, and that's the native format of IMAX. It did look quite good, and it's a very interesting watch.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate
I was a little shocked to find out that this title is only out in 4:3. The picture quality is fantastic, and the launches are downright speaker eaters, but the 4:3 kills it for me. I was starting to wonder what was going on (my 4805 started it up in 16:9) when the Russian officers' hats looked about three feet wide. When I correctly resized it, much of gee whiz factor was gone from the earth shots.
Why does it kill for you?

IMAX uses 4:3 format. As you yourself found out cutting the top and the bottom is not a good idea.

So what is the issue? :confused:

Too small of a screen perhaps?

It seems that things come around, first we had fullscreen users complaining about black bars on the bottom and top, now apparently we have widescreen users complaining about blacks bars left and right. :D

Perhaps Walmart can make a version with a sticker saying "No black bars left and right". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
There are a few IMAX DVDs that provide two versions on the DVD: the original 4:3 AR and a 16:9 AR. Super Speedway, The Coral Reef Adventure and Speed come to mind.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I will pick this one up from my rental place next time i go.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Remember one of the great directors of all time Stanley Kubrick preferred 4:3 aspect for his movies . You just need to have a really big screen with constant height variable width ...

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,678 Posts
I don't see the problem. Most of us on this forum demand that movies be released in their OAR. Since the IMAX movies have an OAR of approximately 4:3, how can you complain when they are released in that format? Releasing an IMAX movie in 16:9 is as bad as releasing something like Lawrence of Arabia in 4:3! Well, Lawrence of Arabia is a much better movie, so it would be more of a shame to release it in 4:3 than to release an IMAX movie in 16:9, but you get my point.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4:3 works for me on a two story screen, (is that how big your screens are?) but I prefer widescreen in my theater, thank you, except for the occasional old Bogey movie.

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
Quote:
4:3 works for me on a two story screen, (is that how big your screens are?) but I prefer widescreen in my theater, thank you, except for the occasional old Bogey movie.
You're missing a whole lot of good movies if you stick to widescreen only.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I watch LOTS of old 4:3 B&W movies on a 31" sd tube on TCM and at my local "art house" cinema (I recently saw a refurbished version of "Roman Holiday", and it was absolutely wonderful). I can't wait to watch them in my dedicated theater (in OAR, of course) when TCM HD debuts. TCM is the reason I got D* ten or so years ago ($19.95/mo + $4.95 for DNS!). I just think gee wiz SOTA high tech color modern stuff with multi-channel sound works better in widescreen, like the recent HDNet shuttle launch, vs the 4:3 version of an earlier launch on this disc. There's so much information on these IMAX films that I'm sure they could be, dare I say it, cropped to 16:9 for the DVD release with no loss of resolution apparent on the (non HD) disc. The high end home theater shops around here use the 16:9 IMAX racing DVDs for demos.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
I just think gee wiz SOTA high tech color modern stuff with multi-channel sound works better in widescreen, like the recent HDNet shuttle launch, vs the 4:3 version of an earlier launch on this disc.
Actually a shuttle launch would work better in 4:3 ;)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn
Yes, I would not want to see the shuttle launch that would look better in 16x9 ! :)

Art
Or for that matter see a landing that works better in 4:3. ;)

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
IMAX's AR is 1.44:1 So you're not missing much, even if you don't have overscan. You're losing much more in resolution and impact anyway, and if it's not in 3-d then you're either watching the left or right side which means you're losing half the movie, and another dimension. That's worse than pan&scan!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Think about it, IMAX is intended for panoramic and dome screens. It won't look as its supposed to on any TV or screen for your home. The use of Super Wide Angle

and Fisheye lenses in those films are how they achieve those spectacular shots and fill those massive screens. I'm not sure what the aspect ratio for Titanica and NASCAR are (only two IMAX films in my collection and the only ones I've seen on small screen) I assume 4:3, but if you watch the beginning of the fourth chapter of Titanica you can see the effect that the Fisheye lenses have on straight lines, in this case the horizon. If this were being played on a dome screen the horizon would appear straight. On a small (normal) screen the horizon appears as an arc.

For that reason it will appear radically different in your home than at the local IMAX theatre.

FYI: The term Fisheye lens is a term known for the most part to photographers and cinematographers and is used to describe the widest angle lenses available. Fisheye lenses come in two types "Circular" and "Full Frame". The Circular type produces a, as the name suggests, a circular image that is 180 degrees from side to side and top to bottom. Nikon manufactured one that produced a staggering 220 degrees! The Full Frame type produces a, again as the name suggests, a full frame image. That is 180 degrees from corner to corner. Both types were originally developed for scientific proposes (as in Astronomy) but as with a lot of things they were quickly adapted for artistic uses because of their distorting effects.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
It seems that things come around, first we had fullscreen users complaining about black bars on the bottom and top, now apparently we have widescreen users complaining about blacks bars left and right. :D

:rolleyes:
Thats because black bars anywhere are stink-o. :D

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
ToastedAudiolab, IMAX, IMAX Dome, and Omnimax are different formats. Normal IMAX does not use extreme fisheye lenses. Titanica does have a few of these shots but most of the film has a normal IMAX fov.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Why?

Because it lifts off vetically, therefore having a larger vertical image gives a better perspecitve, and what is off on the sides anyway but emptysky. A 4:3 image can allow the shuttle to fill the frame better

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.