AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have AnyDVD-HD, I also have PowerDVD Ultra, an HDCP compliant video card and display...


For my situation, is there a reason that I should chose one approach over the other:


1) Enable AnyDVD, use ImgBurn to rip a decrypted ISO. Mount with Daemon tools and play in PowerDVD.


2) Don't use AnyDVD, use ImgBurn to rip an encrypted ISO. Mount with Daemon tools and play in PowerDVD.


Honestly, at first I thought I would have to use AnyDVD because I thought ImgBurn wouldn't be able to read the disc if it was encrypted. But now that I know that is false, or at least seems to be, I'm thinking that #2 should be the most foolproof because it doesn't really rely on defeating any encryption schemes, it just moves data from the disc to the hard drive, and then presents it back to the OS as being on a disc. Am I on the right track there? Is there something else that I should be considering in trying to do this?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
If i understand what you are trying to say is that you want to take a disc movie and put it to hard drive. Then i would recommend Anydvd-hd your on the right tack. Or decrypter or imgburn same author i think. I prefer Any cause it takes off all protection and the update just came out today. I have been using this for about 5 years now with no problems at all. Then you can watch it on whichever software you want. I use power also and sometimes nero or creative. maybe others will give their input. hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff__B /forum/post/12910748


I have AnyDVD-HD, I also have PowerDVD Ultra, an HDCP compliant video card and display...


For my situation, is there a reason that I should chose one approach over the other:


1) Enable AnyDVD, use ImgBurn to rip a decrypted ISO. Mount with Daemon tools and play in PowerDVD.


2) Don't use AnyDVD, use ImgBurn to rip an encrypted ISO. Mount with Daemon tools and play in PowerDVD.


Honestly, at first I thought I would have to use AnyDVD because I thought ImgBurn wouldn't be able to read the disc if it was encrypted. But now that I know that is false, or at least seems to be, I'm thinking that #2 should be the most foolproof because it doesn't really rely on defeating any encryption schemes, it just moves data from the disc to the hard drive, and then presents it back to the OS as being on a disc. Am I on the right track there? Is there something else that I should be considering in trying to do this?


Thanks

I don't see how #2 is more foolproof, things change and you might want to stream your HD content over the network later on -- gotcha



I would go with #1. It is really foolproof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thinking it was more foolproof is because it's closer to having the real disc. It doesn't involve any stripping of copy protection or spoofing of anything, it's just a raw binary copy of the disc.


Here's basically what my question comes down to, and I probably didn't do a great job of asking it the first time... It seems like there are some problems with certain types of discs and slysoft is constantly updating anydvd to keep up with all the schemes (and to their credit, they do an amazing job of getting out updates quickly). But in a situation where somebody has HDCP compliant hardware, is there really any benefit to putting anydvd in the mix? Your point about perhaps wanting to watch it on a non-HDCP display is definitely a good one, but assuming that I wouldn't want to do that don't I gain some level of additional "foolproofing" by just doing a raw binary copy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other thing: I've got blu-ray Rocky Balboa here and I'm trying to rip the disc using imgburn. I get CRC read errors on sectors 14658688 - 14658719. The disc looks perfect to me. I don't see any scratches, dimples, chips, etc. Is it possible that there's actually a manufacturing problem with this disc? Or is this some kind of protection scheme (I'm thinking of bad sectors on floppies from years ago)? Any ideas?


Thanks,

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, and one final thing



Is there any utility to tell me what a given sector number corresponds to in terms of chapter, etc. on the disc? For example, I can rip it and just have it ignore those 30 sectors (out of 22 million total) and perhaps it's part of an extra feature or something that I'll never even notice? On the other hand it might be in the middle of the climax of the movie or something... I'd like to know ahead of time if possible.


Thanks,

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff__B /forum/post/12914470


My thinking it was more foolproof is because it's closer to having the real disc. It doesn't involve any stripping of copy protection or spoofing of anything, it's just a raw binary copy of the disc.


Here's basically what my question comes down to, and I probably didn't do a great job of asking it the first time... It seems like there are some problems with certain types of discs and slysoft is constantly updating anydvd to keep up with all the schemes (and to their credit, they do an amazing job of getting out updates quickly). But in a situation where somebody has HDCP compliant hardware, is there really any benefit to putting anydvd in the mix? Your point about perhaps wanting to watch it on a non-HDCP display is definitely a good one, but assuming that I wouldn't want to do that don't I gain some level of additional "foolproofing" by just doing a raw binary copy?

Here is my thinking -- if you have an option to remove AACS now with AnyDVD then do it (granted you own the disk of course) -- I've come across oh so many posts where people with perfectly good HDCP chain still can't get PowerDVD to play it and have to resort to using AnyDVD. This whole HDCP is such a mess.


Who knows what other idiocracy they are going to come up in the future and AnyDVD may not be around at this time. Just my 2c.


I guess it all comes down to: without AACS your solution is as foolproof as it gets now, keep AACS and it is relatively foolproof now, but may bite you later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that makes sense... now, what about BD+ discs? I don't own any so I haven't been able to test anything, but as far as I understand AnyDVD cannot remove BD+ protection, but PowerDVD is still able to play it? Assuming that is correct, does that mean for those discs I would have to rip them without AnyDVD? Or am I confused on the BD+ altogether?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff__B /forum/post/12920143


that makes sense... now, what about BD+ discs? I don't own any so I haven't been able to test anything, but as far as I understand AnyDVD cannot remove BD+ protection, but PowerDVD is still able to play it? Assuming that is correct, does that mean for those discs I would have to rip them without AnyDVD? Or am I confused on the BD+ altogether?


Thanks

BD+ is another level of protection on top of AACS -- AnyDVD removes AACS only for BD+ disks -- leaving you pretty much with same choices: remove or not remove AACS. One image is mounted it can be played with latest version (or better 3319 they say) of PowerDVD. If you have non-HDCP chain then you have no other option other than remove AACS.


I suggest you spend some time on Slysoft forums !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Jeff, can you verify that you can actually play BD images without removing AACS? I made an iso of Harry Potter 5 BD with imgburn, mounted it in DT and it fails to play in PowerDVD with the following error:


"A critical component of the player requires periodic updates. New movies could fail to play if the critical component is not updated promptly. Would you like to update now?"


I click yes, and receive a message saying the update was successful (I do not believe an update actually took place though.) Afterwards, I try again and get the same message.


If I create the iso with AnyDVD running it plays fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twsnnva /forum/post/12923399


Jeff, can you verify that you can actually play BD images without removing AACS? I made an iso of Harry Potter 5 BD with imgburn, mounted it in DT and it fails to play in PowerDVD with the following error:


"A critical component of the player requires periodic updates. New movies could fail to play if the critical component is not updated promptly. Would you like to update now?"


I click yes, and receive a message saying the update was successful (I do not believe an update actually took place though.) Afterwards, I try again and get the same message.


If I create the iso with AnyDVD running it plays fine.

One more reason to get rid of HDCP/AACS mess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by twsnnva /forum/post/12923399


Jeff, can you verify that you can actually play BD images without removing AACS? I made an iso of Harry Potter 5 BD with imgburn, mounted it in DT and it fails to play in PowerDVD with the following error:


"A critical component of the player requires periodic updates. New movies could fail to play if the critical component is not updated promptly. Would you like to update now?"


I click yes, and receive a message saying the update was successful (I do not believe an update actually took place though.) Afterwards, I try again and get the same message.


If I create the iso with AnyDVD running it plays fine.

hmmm.. same exact thing just happened to me with Casino Royale. Guess that pretty much answers my question. Turns out there is no choice after all



I wonder who is dropping the ball here... would seem like either imgburn or d-tools is not adequately reproducing the original... If PDVD can play the disc on hardware X without anydvd, why can't it play the mounted ISO on the same setup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff__B /forum/post/12910748


Honestly, at first I thought I would have to use AnyDVD because I thought ImgBurn wouldn't be able to read the disc if it was encrypted. But now that I know that is false, or at least seems to be, I'm thinking that #2 should be the most foolproof because it doesn't really rely on defeating any encryption schemes, it just moves data from the disc to the hard drive, and then presents it back to the OS as being on a disc. Am I on the right track there? Is there something else that I should be considering in trying to do this?

This subject has been tackled in the AnyDVD HD forum of Slysoft.


IIRC, Slysoft suggest decrypting as part of the imgburn rip, because the disk key (or something) can't always be extracted from an encrypted ISO down the track: so it's better to remove the encryption from the ISO as it's being created. Once this is done, you don't need to run AnyDVD with that ISO again for playback, unless you want to make use of the "magic file replacement" editing capabilities on the .XPL file.


I think this can present a problem with BD+ discs, though, unless the player will accept BD+ without AACS.


Hopefully BD+ will be cracked and ISOs can be re-ripped to remove that too, in the near future.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
40 Posts
I need a little help doing the ImgBurn part. I successfully made/mounted/watched an iso of The Kingdom in PowerDVD [no watching files edition]. However I forgot what I'm doing apparently because I can't duplicate my result with my copy of Eastern Promises.


In ImgBurn I select, build, options: UDF, select the folder "Eastern Promises" that contains two folders (ADV_OBJ and HVDVD_TS), select my destination folder, hit the button, and then "yes" through the "does this represent the root directory...." and auto volume label dialogue boxes and ImgBurn goes to work.


Should I only be using the HVDVD_TS folder as the source? only the biggest .evo file in the HVDVD_TS folder? I am so befuddled because I figured after I had done it once successfully, it would be smooth sailing. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,380 Posts
So.... assuming it can be cracked, is AnyDVD HD the place to remove the BD+ additional encryption?


With the new PowerDVD 3730, it won't play any of my ripped BD+ rips that have AACS removed. Apparently 3730 requires AACS on BD+ discs.


And the new release of ImgBurn won't rip anything that still has AACS on it!


This is so messed up. Thank goodness AnyDVD is still our savior in this mess.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top