AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
'impact' and 'dynamics' are colorations, not real descriptors of sound. A sound track has impact and dynamics (and many don't). A speaker that always seems to sound dynamic and impactful is simply exaggerating the sound, which is very easy to do. Speakers with peaky midbass often sound 'dynamic' and have lots of 'impact'. Revel Ultimas portray impact, but don't 'have' impact.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14275786

Please discuss.

· Registered
4,854 Posts
Quoting Alimentall now? No thanks.

· Premium Member
5,900 Posts
The term we used to use was "larger than life" and a speaker that exhibited this "quality" usually had a peaky response, and some sounds jumped out at you. The analog of this flaw is a speaker that sits on ALL dynamics and is as exciting as tapioca. I'm not sure which extreme is worse.

· Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/16843906

The term we used to use was "larger than life" and a speaker that exhibited this "quality" usually had a peaky response, and some sounds jumped out at you. The analog of this flaw is a speaker that sits on ALL dynamics and is as exciting as tapioca. I'm not sure which extreme is worse.

Hey, I LIKE Tapioca.

· Registered
4,854 Posts
Me too. But then you went ahead and quoted Alimentall and what he thinks it means.

· Registered
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can someone confirm if dynamics are simply the result of a speaker "boosting" certain frequencies or is it the ability of a speaker to effectively reproduce a quiet moment followed by a loud moment without compressing?

· Registered
4,854 Posts
Matter of definition I suppose. It can be one for someone and the other for someone else. For me, it is the latter.

· Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/16843906

The term we used to use was "larger than life"

Exactly.

Quote:
and a speaker that exhibited this "quality" usually had a peaky response,

Zounds!

Quote:
and some sounds jumped out at you. The analog of this flaw is a speaker that sits on ALL dynamics and is as exciting as tapioca. I'm not sure which extreme is worse.

Tapioca gets my vote for worst.

Per Kain's OP quote:

Impact and/or dynamics don't get my vote. Tonality is the one 1st thing that gets my vote.

But I don't play that loud like you seem to. Meaning that distortion shows up when one plays at louder SPL.

A few thoughts:

Good luck on what you buy.

I mean I'm honestly cheering for you.

Cheers

· Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain /forum/post/16857831

Can someone confirm if dynamics are simply the result of a speaker "boosting" certain frequencies or is it the ability of a speaker to effectively reproduce a quiet moment followed by a loud moment without compressing?

ability to produce that quiet moment with all the nuance it deserces, and the loud moment without distortion

· Premium Member
3,448 Posts
To me a dynamic speaker is simply one that can convey everything it's being presented from quiet to loud while maintaining composure and staying true to the source. There are a lot of variables that come into play from how loud you listen and the size room to the amount of power being fed and the list goes on. Oh and let's not forget if the recorded medium is even of high quality in the first place. With that being said ,a speaker that can only do the less demanding stuff will impart its own coloration as it starts to break up, compress, and distort when it comes time for challenging material. If impact and dynamics are colorations then they are a very welcome addition in my book. Afterall, movie sound effects are an approximation of events. Most of us don't know what a bomb sounds like at close range or what a dinosaur sounds like stomping around but it sure feels right when the wall are shaking from low frequency energy. I went to a concert a few weeks ago and could feel the impact of the drums 20 rows back. Gains up to produce that effect? I'm sure but it sure allowed me to appreciate the band as much as the vocalist. YMMV

· Registered
6,988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain /forum/post/16857831

Hi Kain,

Dynamics are NOT just boosting of frequencies. There are cases where some speakers might sound a bit sharper or similar due to some shape to or peaks in the response, but this is very different from the dynamics experienced in a live event or a great recording.

It is important to acknowledge that most modern popular music has been heavily compressed in recording and production, so expectations should be appropriate based on what you are listening to.

That said, most subwoofers and speakers change their behavior significantly between low and higher playback levels. While we generally have to look at these differences from the perspective of single frequency comparison and reproduction, real program material involves a wide spectrum of sound combined. This means that what we may see as modest changes in one frequency range often affects the entire bandwidth being reproduced.

In more simple terms, if one component of the signal is causing noticeable compression or other problems, that same problem is likely affecting all other frequencies being produced at the same time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.