AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With only one DBS company (EchoStar) in the US, how will that impact the rate of transition to HDTV implementation? Will Egan be a major force in driving the content providers to offer more HD programming and meet the requests of Hollywood to include a DVI interface in his STBs? In short, is this a win for all HDTV fans?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I think this is a winner for HDTV. Charlie Ergen has said he wants to be the HDTV leader. This merger will give him more satellites and bandwidth. He has constantly stated satellite is in competition with cable. Over the years as the old DirectTV transmission standard is replaced by the Echostar DISH Network standard, there will no longer be duplication of channels freeing up more channels for HDTV.

The new Echostar HDTV receivers coming out next year such as the HDPVR-921 are supposed to have three digital outputs. DVI, IEEE1394 and component analog. Encrypted programs will probable be full HDTV for the DVI and IEEE1394 outputs and down rezed for the analog component outputs.

I think this is a win win situation for HDTV since my cable company in Denver AT&T Broadband has no HDTV at all.

I expect to see DirectTV subscribers get Showtime HD and DISH Network subscribers get HDNet and NFL Sunday Ticket.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I also have positive expectations. Let's not forget that E* was a profitable company, and D* was losing money. Charlie knows how to run a company. I don't believe he will want to drive away customers.

The combined company will be stronger financially and the technical infrastructure will be richer. It will be better able to accommodate must-carry and growth in HD. This is no guarantee of more HD, but impediments are removed.

It certainly boils down to relying on a (hopefully) benevolent dictator: Charlie Ergen.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If the proposal is accepted as it appears there is still the problem of DOJ interference. There will have to be some assurance for rural viewers without cable access otherwise they will be facing a monopoly. Usually DOJ involvement is intended to benefit the consumer but for some reason the end result is the opposite.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi guys ...dont hold ur breath , ya gotta long wait maybe till the fed's ok this one ....it reads MONOPOLY , unless guarantee's and assurances are given , unequivically and specifically by dish to the feds ........PLUS ....we better hope charlie's german bank financing doesnt pull the plug on his money....we'lllll all wait to see how this unfolds ......it will be interesting , at the very least !!!!!....as far as HDTV goes .....we'll see on that one too, when the big get bigger , the little guys and little issues get thrown under the bus ...if charlie/dish doesntt start make any money , real soon , his german bank and whomever else is taking back the paper on this deal will OWN real fast echo/charlie/dish/and directv, ...if it does happen.....Hmmmm how about Deutche-Directv.....OR Deutche-Dish........sorta has a nice ring, sorta like a woman i once knew, lolololol........ ....lolololololololololol

........for those that DONT KNOW.....3 weeks ago , directv corporate pulled the plug on over 4400 dealers nationwide , shut them off on subscriptions , shut them off on programming and their showrooms , and revoked their dealer acct status , WITHOUT ANY REGARD WHATSOEVER NONE ........THATS WHAT HAPPENS , when the big get bigger , and they FORGET about the dealer base that made them #1, numero uno ....!!!!!!.........many inoculous reasons for that , but it all boils down to directv Bigtime B S ....!!!!!......they want the big chains , period. we'll see how charlie reacts in his corporate wisdom , problem is , charlie dont know how to make $$$$$$$, or hasnt up to now .................this shall become very interesting !!!!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
One probable impact of this will be higher cost to consumers. In their merger news conference, they mentioned that they expect to reduce the "customer acquisition cost" which is mainly spent as a subsidy in the price of equipment, by about $100 per subscriber. That means you would pay about $100 more for a receiver than you would before the merger. But since its still quite a bit in the future, by that price the actual costs might have reduced by $100 or more as electronics tend to do.

The thing I'm more concerned about personally is losing the option of Tivo service. I really love the Tivo boxes that DirecTV offers, but so far I don't think Echostar has a similar deal with Tivo. It would suck to be stuck with an inferior PVR technology after the merger of the two systems.. bah..

·
Registered
459 Posts
Some interesting details are on a powerpoint presentation on Dish's web site at http://media.gm.com/events/announcem...tar-hughes.ppt

Of particular note:

1. "approximately $625 million of cost to swap boxes" is figured into financial projections. Since DIRECTV is the surviving brand, whose technology survives and whose boxes get swapped?

2. More HDTV content at $10/mo is projected.

Mike Sloss

·
Registered
208 Posts
I also watched part of the news conference about the merger. Here are a few things that I found interesting, since they have been discussed on this forum...

Charlie spoke of the problem with the 2 services having 2 different receivers and equipment, in fact he referred to them as being like VHS and Beta. He stated the combined company would have to put everyone on one system and with new receivers. However, he didn't mention how or who would have to pay for it. He mentioned that Hughes had some some hardware in the works that they were very interested in using.

One of the things on a graphic he used that caught my eye, was sources of future revenue. The last line read HDTV - $10 a month. Charlie spoke highly of HDTV and that Direct TV and Dish were the leaders in offering it and would be in the future as one company. Looks like we will have to pay for HDTV in the future.

Lastly, he stated that they expected to take about a year to actually get approval and merge the 2 companies.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't get the idea that the rural folks who can't get cable will be worse off because of this newly deemed "Monopoly". Before the days of DBS, these rurals had nothing, and if they were lucky enough to finally get cable out to them, did they pay more for the services that the rest of the community all ready servered pay? NO. They paid the same.

In today's news conference, Charlie was talking heavily about the fact that they will now truely be able to compete with cable and that with the synergies, they would even be able to lower the cost to the consumer....rural or urban. The rural folks will be in the same boat as the urban subscribers, except if they don't like DBS, they can't go to the generally higher priced cable. The real question is will we believe Charlie in that prices can stay the same or even be lower.....we'll see.

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance, I'm new here.

My question is, how does this affect HDTV and STB manufacturers? Do their boxes now work with either signal? The reason I ask is I'm getting ready to purchase HDTV and am looking at Mitsubishi, either the 65908 or 65909 (I thought I'd done enough diligence, oh brother!). Could this render the tuner in the 65809 useless? Or if I buy the 56908, will any STB work regardless of which Sat system survives? The Mitsubishi one says DirecTV. I would believe that they and a number of other Manufacturers would stand in line to pound on E* if they switch to Dish.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79
It will be the dish equipment that survives. Directv will phased out.
Uh-oh, here we go...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by curtisls
Please forgive my ignorance, I'm new here.

My question is, how does this affect HDTV and STB manufacturers? Do their boxes now work with either signal? The reason I ask is I'm getting ready to purchase HDTV and am looking at Mitsubishi, either the 65908 or 65909 (I thought I'd done enough diligence, oh brother!). Could this render the tuner in the 65809 useless? Or if I buy the 56908, will any STB work regardless of which Sat system survives? The Mitsubishi one says DirecTV. I would believe that they and a number of other Manufacturers would stand in line to pound on E* if they switch to Dish.
I think you mis-typed some of those model numbers, but I'd get the one without the tuner -- unless the cost difference is only $400 or less.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79
It will be the dish equipment that survives. Directv will phased out.
If I must put my money on this one, I would say it will be the other way around. Not that Charlie must abandon his brand of hardware, because he buys DirecTV, it will all be his. But there is already indication he will favor the DirecTV brand recognition. Although he will not admit this but if you have used both Dish and DirecTV hardware, you know which one has more appeal to the general public.

There is great deal said about Charlie's success in the DBS business, from his management style, programming offer, lower costs and customer retention, unfortunately stable and attractive hardware and software solution is not one of them. So allow us all be big enough to accept the fact that we should make the best of both companies and be prepare to ditch the Dish6000, displayer, and Dish501 some time in the future if the buyout is approved :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Don't both Hughes and Echostar have international business? It seems to me that not only does the DOJ have to approve, but the EU as well? If you look recently, Honeywell and GE were set to merge when the EU pulled the plug.

Furthermore, just getting the DOJ to approve seems a tough task. Charlie was the single largest contributor to the Gore campaign. I'm not saying that should be a deciding factor, but there is a political bias certainly.

At any rate, I wouldn't hold my breath about buying new stuff for at least a year.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
So allow us all be big enough to accept the fact that we should make the best of both companies and be prepare to ditch the Dish6000, displayer, and Dish501 some time in the future if the buyout is approved
I have owned a Dish Network box (Model 4000) for about 5-6 years, and I recently bought a used DTC-100 (for a great price). Now that I have used both I will admit that the D* menus look nicer, but I don't get the impression the D* equipment works any better than the E*. If Charlie factors in the number of people who are stealing D* (vs. E*) I think he'd be more likely to switch everyone to E*. Also since E* makes their own hardware he could better control the cost of the big switch. I've also heard that the technology behind the E* format is newer & slightly better than what D* was built on (granted that is to be expected since D* has been around longer). Someone stated that both formats will be replaced with a new one that Hughes has already been working on. To me that is the most likely scenario (but won't happen for another couple years).

Now I do hope that Charlie is smart enough to incorporate (the superior) TiVo technology into their new hardware.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Rural customers now have two satellite choices:

* NRTC offering DirecTV service through companies like Pegasus

* DishNetwork

They will only have one after the merger. Ergen gets that this will scare regulators and is totally willing to deal on this via a consent decree.

Mark

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
To judge which brand of receivers is more stable and user friendly and more appealing, one must have tried several models, not just one of the older or basic ones. Both 4000 and DTC100 happens to be on the way out.

It is well-known that Dish's approach to hardware, especially software development is troublesome, and will not be able to satisfy the users that seek more advanced hardware such as PVR functions and HDTV-which is where the money is.

I did not mean to fall back on the current DirecTV hardware, although which brand is more easily a subject to hacking is still debatable. What I mean is the hardware and software development must follow the way of DirecTV not Dishnetwork, for the consolidated company to be successful.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.