AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new HDTV, and am considering on getting a 1080p. I understand the concept of what up-conversion is and why it degrades the visual quality on lower source quality materials. But I don't have a feel on what the visual impact of up-conversion will have at different levels of source materials. This is a concern for me as the vast majority of source material available right now will require an up-conversion. For instance what will happen if I do the following?

1) Image quality of a SD signal on a 1080p? (perhaps compared to a decent quality 720 such a Samsung LNT-3253H
)

2) Image quality of a standard DVD on a 1080p? (compared to a 720p up-conversion)

3) Image quality of hdtv standards such as 720p and 1080i signal on a 1080p.

Now lets throw a wrinkle into the mix. My current plans are to buy a 1080p & blu-ray player (which from my understanding is the only thing that currently displays 1080p source material) and make it for watching movies. But what if I buy a 720p or 1080i set. What is the visual degradation in quality, if any?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turlen /forum/post/13011001

I understand the concept of what up-conversion is and why it degrades the visual quality on lower source quality materials. But I don't have a feel on what the visual impact of up-conversion will have at different levels of source materials.

SD is going to look like crap no matter what you do, because it's SD and unlike a fuzzy CRT, a 1080p LCD will highlight all of the flaws of the original. This goes double for cable SD and triple for overcompressed, downresed satellite SD.

Resizing SD to fit a 1080p display won't degrade the image, since the jump from 720x480 to 1920x1080 is big enough so that pixels can be smoothed out fairly evenly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts