Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by metropole
On my Yamaha receiver I can select 6 or 8 Ohms.

My speakers are: 8 Ohm nominal / minimum impdedance 4 Ohm.

What should be my receiver setting?
Keep it in the 8 Ohms position you will get higher power and dynamics...

Also be sure to keep adequate airspace around the Yamaha cabinet for top and sides like a minmum of 3 "..

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
The six-ohm setting lowers the output stage's power-supply voltage, which reduces over-heating (due to increased current flow). The same thing can be accomplished with judicious use of the volume control.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, with other words there would be no harm in my setup to use the 6 Ohm setting. The result would be a cooler running receiver with possibly some audio detail loss?

Is there any speaker type (Ohm) that would be harmed?

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by metropole
So, with other words there would be no harm in my setup to use the 6 Ohm setting. The result would be a cooler running receiver with possibly some audio detail loss?

Is there any speaker type (Ohm) that would be harmed?
When the switch is in the 4/6 Ohms position, the power supply voltage is stepped down.. This is done because 4 Ohms loudspeakers require twice the current of 8 Ohm loudspeakers everything else being equal, and certain brands want to protect their amplifier stage for overheating and/or possible failure. But in limiting the voltage, they limit the amplifier's performance such headroom and dynamic range capability.. this will be audible. Therefore the best solution is to leave it in the 8 Ohms position, but a good measure is to put your hand on its top after pushing it the amplifier to your expected volume levels.. If hot, then then first I would adjust the volume down. Or try the 4/6 Ohm position, regardless.. the loudspeakers will not be harmed..

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M Code
but a good measure is to put your hand on its top after pushing it the amplifier to your expected volume levels.. If hot, then then first I would adjust the volume down. Or try the 4/6 Ohm position, ..
The only problem with that is. Is that both the Yamaha RX-V1400 and RX-V2400 will feel hot to very hot to most peoples hands when placed on top at around the center of them, even when they are not being put under heavy loads. And that they can and will still feel hot to most people, even when using outboard amps and not their internal amps. They just simply are somewhat hot runners, and even so when they are not under heavy loads. So the hand test itself, may not be that good at telling you when they are actually running too hot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.