AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You have an amp that can only handle an 8 ohm load. You connect your impedance matching speaker selector to the "Zone 2" output on your AVR. You then want to install a pair of 8 ohm speakers in one room and another pair of 8 ohm speakers in another room. This creates a 4 ohm load, correct? I then would need to hit the protection button on the selector so the amp see's the proper load, right?

When would I just use a normal speaker selector, because I feel like I'm constantly going to have to match the impedance back to the amp?

I'm just a little confused. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You have an amp that can only handle an 8 ohm load. You connect your impedance matching speaker selector to the "Zone 2" output on your AVR. You then want to install a pair of 8 ohm speakers in one room and another pair of 8 ohm speakers in another room. This creates a 4 ohm load, correct? I then would need to hit the protection button on the selector so the amp see's the proper load, right?

When would I just use a normal speaker selector, because I feel like I'm constantly going to have to match the impedance back to the amp?

I'm just a little confused. Thank you for your help.
Not all amps are limited to 8 ohms, many can handle 2 ohm loads with no issue. That said, some people use a speaker selector as a place to land their cables, and use impedance matching volume controls. There are hundreds of ways to setup a DA system, which is why you have so many equipment options.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts