AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding Impedance. My receiver that I am going to buy is rated at 140 watts x 7 @ 8 ohms (Can also output at 6 ohms - Yamaha HTR-5890). I would like to use this to power 3 (Front, Center, Right) Yamaha NS-IW760 in-wall speakers rated at an Impedance of 6 ohms and with 4 (Surrounds) HomeTech HT-THX-LCR in-wall speakers rated at an Impedance of 8 ohms. Will this combination work? Will there be a problem with 3 of the 7 speakers being 6 ohms as opposed to 8 ohms? If I switched the receiver to output at 6 ohms, would it damage the surround speakers which are rated at 8 ohms?

~Josh

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any other thoughts on this?

~Josh

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Solid state receivers don't output at 6 ohms or 8 ohms. Their output impedance is actually much lower, less than one ohm. The switch is there to tell the receiver that it is connected to a low impedance load. When the switch is in the low ohms position, a circuit limits the current through the output transistors in the receiver. It protects the receiver, not the speakers. You won't damage the speakers unless you crank the volume too much regardless of their impedance or the setting of the switch on your receiver. And if you do, you can damage them regardless of which position the switch is in.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I have the 5790 and my front polks are all 8 ohms and my surrounds are 4 ohms and they all work fine. Lou

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.