AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I received my SV 20 - 39 PCi last Tuesday and had the long weekend to listen to some Movies and concerts. The sub was easy to set up using the RS SPL although I did have to experiment with placing. I ended up with the sub about a 1/4 of the way down one wall, I have Def Tech mains and the pure bulk of the sub effected the sound when placed in a corner.

The first thing I noticed was how well the sub blended with my main speakers something I could never achieve with my Sunfire Cube. Also there is no boominess that I was used to with the cube. Although The bass does not sound over powering you can feel it is there even in movies that are not known for heavy use of LFE. When the LFE does come alive (The opening scene of the new Star Wars) you can feel the impact as much as hear it. In general I would say it cleaned up my system below 100Hz and made everything sound better.

One added benefit that my wife noticed is that the whole system seems quieter outside of the main listening room and much cleaner inside. It could be that I no longer need to turn it up as much to get the impact from the movies. I must admit this was a very nice benefit as she doesn't usually notice anything.

One problem I do have is there is one spot right in front of my fireplace that is a real bass trap and the bass level is at least 3-5 db above the rest of the room. I must mention that this was an even bigger problem with my old sub. It is a large floor to ceiling brick fireplace any ideas on ways to counter this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Hi Trevor,

While the problem may be in front of the fireplace, it is likely more dependent on the location in the room relative to the subwoofer.

Two suggestions:

1. Give us the general dimensions/layout of the room and the location of the subwoofer, main seats and the problem spot.

2. Find a disc with test tones, or even plug directly into a comptuer which can generate them, and determine what frequencies are overly strong at the location.

The above info would likely point to a solution quite readily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.