AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a first purchase in DVD recorders and I have a question about inputs/outputs.

Most of the recorders I have seen have component output and S-Video inputs.

I looked at the specs on a new Sony DVD recorder that claims to have HDMI output and component inputs.

I must say that I am confused about this entire issue.

When using both DVI and component between my HDTV cable box and my HDTV, I saw no difference.

Should these new inputs/outputs make a big difference on the dvd recorder?

Thanks.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosier
I was looking at a first purchase in DVD recorders and I have a question about inputs/outputs.

Most of the recorders I have seen have component output and S-Video inputs.

I looked at the specs on a new Sony DVD recorder that claims to have HDMI output and component inputs.

I must say that I am confused about this entire issue.

When using both DVI and component between my HDTV cable box and my HDTV, I saw no difference.

Should these new inputs/outputs make a big difference on the dvd recorder?

Thanks.
Are you sure there is an HDMI *input*? Perhaps it has component and HDMI output? Is the Sony DVD Recorder an HD recorder? With a DVD, I'm thinking it may not be and even so, I don't think you will be able to transfer HD recorded material to a DVD at full definition/resolution. Better yet, what model?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
A lot of people say they can't tell the difference between HDMI/DVI and Component, so it's not surprising that the original poster can't either.

However, if the player or recorder is of the "upscaling" variety, this becomes important as almost all such units will only play the upscaled picture via HDMI, or DVI that's HDCP compliant. These two technologies have built-in copy protection.

Some people feel that Component Inputs aren't that much of an improvement over s-video, but this also comes into play if you want to record downconverted HiDef material in its native 16:9 format. The reason is that many popular STB's such as the Scientific Atlanta's will only do this via Component; if you use s-video or composite, such STB's will automatically letterbox the picture.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg
A lot of people say they can't tell the difference between HDMI/DVI and Component, so it's not surprising that the original poster can't either.

However, if the player or recorder is of the "upscaling" variety, this becomes important as almost all such units will only play the upscaled picture via HDMI, or DVI that's HDCP compliant. These two technologies have built-in copy protection.

Some people feel that Component Inputs aren't that much of an improvement over s-video, but this also comes into play if you want to record downconverted HiDef material in its native 16:9 format. The reason is that many popular STB's such as the Scientific Atlanta's will only do this via Component; if you use s-video or composite, such STB's will automatically letterbox the picture.
So I guess the type of inputs and outputs on the new sony dvd recorder would be important?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosier
So I guess the type of inputs and outputs on the new sony dvd recorder would be important?
It depends what you expect it to do.

I believe, but am not sure, that the reason for the HDMI port on the new Sony's is because they plan on implementing upscaling. Otherwise there would be no point, as this recorder is not capable of recording HiDef. If you don't have a HiDef TV with an HDMI or DVI-HDCP port, then it's a moot point.

If you don't care about your HiDef recordings being automatically letterboxed, or you don't have HiDef service at all, then Component Inputs is a moot point.

Again, what kind of things do you want your new recorder to do?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I want to record full 16:9 TV programming to DVDs and I need a DVD recorder with Component In. My current Panny E80 DVDR doesn't have Component In, so I'm trading out for a Sony DVD recorder with Component Inputs.

So inputs could be very important depending on your future needs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Motorola HDTV-DVR cable box with component out.

I have a Sony 30" HDTV, soon a front propjector with HDMI input.

I just would like to play saved HDTV programming on DVD and play commercial dvds in the best possible quality.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
From what I've read, you need a DVD recorder with Component Inputs to get 16:9 format from 'most' cable boxes to the recorder. On my set up, my Panasonic DVD recorder only has S-Video and RCA video inputs, no Component In, so when I run S-Video from my Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR cable box to my DVD recorder of a 16:9 HD program, it letterboxes the image to a 4:3 format.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here is the most complete list of Specs I have been able to find - so far...

I haven't seen anything on a hx915. Sony sales knows none of this.

Key Features

Supplied Accessories

Audio/Video Cord

Power Cord

75 ohm Coaxial Cable

Set Top Box Controller

Remote Commander Remote Control

2 AA Batteries

Instruction Manual

IR Blaster

Over 260 hours recording on 160 GB; high capacity Hard Disk Drive (at SLP mode)*

Recording Hours on HDD: 21H(HQ+) / 33H(HQ) / 51H(HSP) / 67H(SP) /85 (LSP) / 103H(LP) / 137H(EP) / 204H (SLP) /269H (SEP)

HDMIâ„¢ Interface (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) for HD Ready TV Sets*

Provides an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface between the Sony RDR-HX715 and any HDMI-equipped TV. HDMI supports enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio.

HDMI is a trademark of HDMI Licensing LLC.

720p/1080i Upscaling through HDMIâ„¢ Interface*

Dynamic Variable Bit Rate High Quality Dubbing from Hard Disk Drive to DVD*

Up to 24 times High Speed Dubbing from Hard Disk Drive to DVD*

HQ+*

The Optimum Bit Rate Recording on Hard Disk Drive for Superior Picture Quality.

On-screen TV Program Guide (EPG)*

Shows the TV schedule while the program continues to play in one quarter of the screen. You simply highlight a program to see detailed information.

Precision Cinema Progressiveâ„¢ Technology*

Detects image changes at the pixel level versus other types that detect image changes at the scan line level. Separate algorithms are used to process the moving and still parts of an image to achieve sharper backgrounds and moving objects that are free from motion artifacts.

Features with an asterisk above indicates key step-up features from the Sony RGR-VX515.

DVD+RW/+R, DVD-RW/-R, DVD+R DL Recording Compatibility

Recording Hours on DVD: 1H (HQ) / 1.5 (HSP) / 2H (SP)/ 2.5 H (LSP) / 3H (LP) / 4H (EP) / 6H (SLP) / 8H (SEP)

Compatible with +R Double-Layer Disc (8.5GB) for longer recording time

i.LINK® Interface

Allows 2-way pure digital communication between the RDR-VX515 DVD recorder and DV & Digital 8® Camcorders.

DVD+RW/+R, DVD-RW(Video Mode)/-R, DVD+R DL CD/SVCD/CD-DA (CD-R/-RW) Playback

(CD-R/RW Playback may not be compatible with all discs, depending on recording conditions.)

Chasing Playback Mode

For watching a show from the beginning while the show is still recording (Hard Disk Drive and DVD-RW VR Mode only)

Cable Box Control

(May not be compatible with all brands of cable boxes.)

Full 3-2 reverse conversion

Recreates the original film frame structure of a film originated DVD movie for a smoother, more realistic, film-like experience.

Non-Linear Editing (DVD-RW VR Mode)

Also called "random access editing", is similar to a word processing program in that it allows segments to be inserted, deleted, or moved around at any point in the editing process.

Advanced SmoothScanâ„¢ and SmoothSlow Modes

TV Virtual Surround - 4 Surround Modes

System that generates the effect of surround sound speakers -- even when you're limited to the stereo speaker inside your television.

Intelligent Scene Chaptering & Visual Search (VR Mode)

Provides easy scene search and editing by indexing chapters at transition points.

D-Matrix Noise Reduction System

Uses a combination of three types of noise reduction technologies to deliver excellent recording and playback levels.

Quick Response, Easy to Use Graphic User Interface

Fast Playback with Sound (HDD in VR mode)

Allows you to play video at fast forward speed with recognizable audio playback.

Easy timer recording on the on-screen TV program guide (EPG)

96kHz 24 Bit Audio Digital to Analog Converter

Dolby® Digital and dts® Decoding Compatible

Enables digital surround sound that is dynamic, spacious and realistic. Generates 5.1 separate channels of line-level sound for Left, Right, Center, Left Surround, Right Surround and Subwoofer.

Instant Replay and Instant Search

Automatically replays the last several seconds of video and audio at the touch of a button.

Child Lock for Locking the Disc Tray

Parental Control

Variable Bit Rate Recording (at HSP/SP/LSP/LP/EP/SLP/SEP mode)

Digital Video Equalizer

Digital TBC

Built In Television Tuner

Remote Commander Remote Control with Multi-Brand TV Control

Sony RDR-HX715 Specifications

Inputs and Outputs

HDMI Connection Output:

x1 (Rear)

i.LINK® Interface

For DV & Digital 8® Camcorders

Component video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input:

x1 (Rear)