AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an inexpensive (read: part of an old HTIB) Onkyo sub connected to an Onkyo SR607. My in-laws have another inexpensive sub, a Yamaha (not sure of model #) that they are not using. Would it be ok to use that as a second sub to give my system a little more punch?

Yes, I plan to evenutally upgrade to a better quality sub or subs, but for now, with a new house sucking my wallet dry, its low on the priority list!

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
No telling how it will work out, but under the circumstances, it can't hurt (at least can't hurt anything but one of the subs) to try, I suppose. Different frequency responses, different and limited output limits, and especially different extensions at the bottom of their ranges, could yield unpredictable results when used together. Just play it quietly at first and see if one of the subs is, uh, challenged, in the context of the MultEQ corrections to the subs.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I use two different subs and have not had any problems. I'm currently using a 11 year old velodyne(CHT-12) and a 6 month old yamaha(NS-W700).

Down the road I will be upgrading both, but for now I am happy with them.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have two systems that each have two unmatched subs. There is no problem.

The rule-of-thumb is that you can achieve a +3db increase in sound level with two subwoofers (in the lowest octave and a half).

My understanding is that with some horn-loaded subwoofer systems (DIY THT or Danley DTS-10) there may be some problem with combining either two unmatched horn subwoofers or a horn subwoofer with a sealed or ported subwoofer. Even then the problem may be relatively minor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am going to pair my old Infinity PS-8 with the new sub that comes part of the Onkyo s7200. Do you think there would any problems or issues that could occur with this? Would this damage the other speakers because of too much base or anything like that? The PS-8 hits really hard so I assuming when I combine the two it will really be able to send a tremor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts