AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pleased to announce that I am now able to custom ISF calibrate the 2000/2001 H series Toshiba HDTV ready televisions. I am able to produce (for the first time)excellent gray scale tracking with all 480i composite/S; 480i component; 480p component and 1080i component sources.

In addition, all Toshiba "H" series rear projectors produced after 1/21/01 incorporate inverse 2:3 pulldown with film based sources. The DNR circuit must be in the "AUTO" position for the circuit to detect 24 fps film based sources. If you have one of these sets, make sure that the DNR circuit (located in the "PICTURE" menu) is in the AUTO position.

[This message has been edited by Gary Merson (edited 05-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gary Merson (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just purchased one of these sets (but have not picked it up yet). Is there a way I can find out the manufactured date by just looking at the box? If my set was produced before 1/21/01, would it be advisable for me to ask the salesman to switch it for one produced after this date?

After spending that kind of cash, I'd like to get one that had ALL the features incorporated.

Thanks!

Lord British

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know if the manufactering date is on the box, but it is on the back of the set. I reason that it is over three months since the change over, so the odds are in your favor. First suggestion, check the serial number of the demo unit and the date of its manufacture. If it is after 1/21/01 and the serial number of the unit you purchased is higher, then you've got it made in the shade. If not, get the serial number of the unit you purcchased and call Toshiba customer service and see if they can get you the date it was made.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I bought a 65H80 about a month ago. What do you charge for this service?

-Tim

------------------

Remember to write letters to channels that have HDTV thanking them, and to channels that should have HDTV requesting it. For example, ESPN, Fox Sports Net, Discovery channel and the NASA channel.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Will this work for the RUNCO 5801c? I know it is a souped up Toshiba. I got my RUNCO in Late November.

------------------

You don't know and You don't know that you don't know!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Before everybody goes running to turn their sets around, I checked the back of 2 Toshiba's that I have here in the showroom and the build date is not on the back of the set. In fact, I couldn't find a build date anywhere (including inside).

I have a 56H80 and 61HX70 that are less than a month old, coming straight from Toshiba Canada. I cannot see any different between the DNR auto and off modes.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

[This message has been edited by JohnnyG (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John I took out "proprietary", don't want any hurt feelings. As you may know, Toshiba projectors are produced in Tennessee, I presume that goes for sets sold north of the border. I will ask Toshiba if they can provide a starting serial number for sets with the enhanced 2:3 software. If I can get it , I will post it.

BTW, my review sample had a date manufactured sticker on the back. Maybe it's only required in the US or something like that.

[This message has been edited by Gary Merson (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
And I have responded in kind by removing my comment.

I checked the back of the 43H70 I have at home, and the date is in fact on the yellow sticker. I'll have to re-check the units at work tomorrow.

Now...any clues about how you are accomplishing these tricks? Have you figured out the ADDR addresses, a backdoor to Designer mode or something completely different?

------------------

John Golitsis

www.nbtelectronics.com

[This message has been edited by JohnnyG (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Does this apply to the RUNCO RPTVs?

------------------

You don't know and You don't know that you don't know!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I think Gary is right about the 3:2 pulldown. I bought a 40H80 before Christmas and had some problems with it. I returned it and bought a Wega XBR400 instead. A few days ago, I picked up another 40H80 (to complement the Wega, not replace it), and it does indeed have an improved doubler. The build date (on a yellow sticker) is March 2001, so I'd say it in the new batch.

Marc.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The two sets in the store do in fact have build dates on the yellow sticker and both are November 2000. That sucks!

------------------

John Golitsis

www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Merson:
In addition, all Toshiba "H" series rear projectors produced after 1/21/01 incorporate inverse 2:3 pulldown with film based sources. The DNR circuit must be in the "AUTO" position for the circuit to detect 24 fps film based sources. If you have one of these sets, make sure that the DNR circuit (located in the "PICTURE" menu) is in the AUTO position.
I looked at the tag on my 56H80 and it says Manufacturered February 2001. Does that mean I don't have to bother getting a progressive DVD player since it wouldn't help all that much?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Mine is an older toshiba. The TW40x81. Can you do those?

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I agree with Marc. I too have noticed that my Panasonic RV-80 picture beats Tosh 6200 and JVC 721 Prog scan. After lot of Avia tweaking,& A& B testing my Pana RV-80 (which I wanted to sell earlier) is now a keeper with my Tosh 56H80 (Mar '01).

There is VERY little evidence of jaggies&ghosting I notice- it is minimal and hey, I have not disabled the SVM as yet http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kishore (edited 05-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kishore (edited 05-05-2001).]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gary, I wonder if you can give us the details of how you will accomplish the grayscale calibration, is this using the ADDR modes? can you share this information, if I was to get your services, I would like to know in detail what you will be doing to my TV. thanks...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Gary,

Is there any way to upgrade an older "H" set? You mentioned it was a software upgrade. Could a EPROM change give you the new feature?

Dick

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Dagman,

I did some testing last night with various DVDs, and found, in interlaced mode, the 3:2 pulldown is almost identical to the image my Toshiba 6200 produces in progressive mode. One good disc to use is Super Speedway. The first time you see the racetrack and the car goes by the empty bleachers. Without 3:2 pulldown this scene exibits jaggie lines galore. With 3:2 , the diagonal lines are much smoother, almost identical to the 6200's progressively scanned image.

Marc.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If your H series set was made prior to 1/21/00, contact Toshiba customer service. Explain that your set was made prior to 1/21/01 and you would like to receive a upgrade for 3:2 pulldown detection. If the set was made prior to 1/21/01, a Toshiba person informed me that they will provide a software upgrade under the factory one year warranty. It requires a service call. If you are on the fence, manufactured date wise (1/01) make sure that you provide the serial number and model number so they can check.

As for the runco contact them directly .

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.