AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding a roller coaster trying to sort out how to best protect my home theater equipment. UPS or not, Clean Power or not, whole house protection or not. Unfortunately, after reading many posts here I am more confused than before!

Some pertinent questions, including the first very basic (and cheap solution!) question:

1-Say you have all your equipment hooked up to a simple $10.00 power strip that has an on-off switch. Will switching this off completely protect against power problems? If so, why go any further as long as you remember to turn off the switch after each use?

2-I don't understand why some suggest having a clean power unit (I understand the advantages these provide) and then also having a UPS unit as well. What does the UPS unit do to help besides provide battery back-up?

3-From what I can determine, even having whole house protection (which I understand costs several dollars per month from your electric company) will not provide full protection for our theater equipment. Not sure I understand why.

4-I have three rooms full of expensive audio/video equipment. I also have an unopened Belkin Pureav PF 30 unit that I just picked up at Best Buy (for which I unfortunately paid $250.00, which is list price). Would one of these units in each room provide most of the protection needed?

Thanks to all who respond. I need as much help as possible as soon as possible, as this past month power surges in our area (known for veryhigh power output) have destroyed a record number of costly units (DVD player, Surround Sound Amp, Cable Modem, Wireless Router, Xb0x) and the only reason I am still sane is that my two front projectors are still fine!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'll respond to a couple of these:

2) You only need a UPS if you have a RP-LCD or DLP TV and want to keep the fan blowing on the bulb to cool it down during a power outage. This should help extend the life of the bulb. You may also want it for a Tivo type device. People really don't get a UPS for surge protection.

4) The PF30 is fine for over-voltage protection and some filtering. You can buy a better unit online. I also like the Panamax units as they provide brownout (under-voltage) protection.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying so quickly. You raised another issue: Won't the Belkin protect against brown-outs or under voltage problems and will undervoltage cause damage to home theater equipment. Sorry, but I just don't know enough technically here.

My two projectors are front projectors and have bulbs of course. One is an Infocus and I remember a thread while back stating that their bulbs can be turned off without cool down. Some people even felt that would help extend bulb life with natural cool down rather than fan forced cool down. Boy...do I ever get into controversial problems!!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
1)Just using a $10 powerstrip and switching it off when you don't use your equipment is kind of okay but not completly for a couple of reasons: 1. How will you protect your stuff when you are actually using it? Unplugging it only protects when the equipment is not being used. 2) Depending on the type of surge it still is possible for voltage to arc across the 2 contacts inside the surge protector thus still damaging your equipment. 3. Some devices work better having a slow current draw from the outlet for memory and such. You don't want to completly open the circuit for these devices because you wind up having to reprogram your personal setting on the device.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz2yx9
I'll respond to a couple of these:

2) You only need a UPS if you have a RP-LCD or DLP TV and want to keep the fan blowing on the bulb to cool it down during a power outage. This should help extend the life of the bulb. You may also want it for a Tivo type device. People really don't get a UPS for surge protection.

4) The PF30 is fine for over-voltage protection and some filtering. You can buy a better unit online. I also like the Panamax units as they provide brownout (under-voltage) protection.
If the only thing a UPS does is extend the life of the bulb why bother buying

a UPS - acceptable ones tend to be more expensive then a bulb!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Some of the Belkin UPS' do protect against brownouts. So do many other brands. If you look on the Belkin website, it'll tell you which ones do.

As for why get a UPS to protect the bulb? You can get a decent UPS for $60 or so which will last you several years. I think most people look to the APC SmartUPS which are fairly expensive. There are other options out there.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz2yx9
Some of the Belkin UPS' do protect against brownouts. So do many other brands. If you look on the Belkin website, it'll tell you which ones do.

As for why get a UPS to protect the bulb? You can get a decent UPS for $60 or so which will last you several years. A bulb will cost $200+ and who knows how many you may go through. Some people have good luck, others don't....
Thanks for your resposne.

I have fours total years of lamp warranty with my Samsung 6168 and probably

won't even have the set half that long...

I have three separate isolated circuits that various HT components plug into through various types of Monster Power Centers...

Although I live in CA I haven't had a power outage for at least several years.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce
If the only thing a UPS does is extend the life of the bulb why bother buying

a UPS - acceptable ones tend to be more expensive then a bulb!
Well, it certainly does more than that. It enables you to shut down your electronics gently instead of having power abruptly removed and/or abruptly reapplied in the case of brown-outs. Those surges are not good for the lamp or the rest of the electronics.

In addition, a very satisfactory UPS can be found for well under half the cost of the lamp. And it will work for subsequent lamps.

Of course, you could find lots of hard drives and even motherboards for the price of an UPS. So why even have an UPS for your computer?

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt
Well, it certainly does more than that. It enables you to shut down your electronics gently instead of having power abruptly removed and/or abruptly reapplied in the case of brown-outs. Those surges are not good for the lamp or the rest of the electronics.

In addition, a very satisfactory UPS can be found for well under half the cost of the lamp. And it will work for subsequent lamps.

Of course, you could find lots of hard drives and even motherboards for the price of an UPS. So why even have an UPS for your computer?
I don't and I have owned almost a dozen laptops and desktops over the last 10

years...

I live in a commuity that is about 20 years old with really good power supply -

I haven't experienced an outage for several years...

·
Registered
393 Posts
There have been a lot of these types of discussions all over the forum, one question I have is what about the true sinewave question??? (question being- does anything other than a true sinewave coming from the UPS when in battery mode damage or shorten the life of your equipment?) Is this something you should consider??? It seems only the more expensive UPS' output a true sinewave. I have a Panamax surge protector/conditioner and would like to add a UPS but, not sure what is fact when it comes to some of these questions.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
Nobody has really addressed the $10 power strip. It doesn't matter whether it's on or off - it will provide a little bit of protection either way (you can just leave it on all the time), but will not protect against a large power surge or lightening strike. Every power strip/surge protector is rated for the number of joules it will protect against, and the $10 ones are rated much lower than more expensive ones. IMO, a $10 power strip will not adequately protect your expensive home theater investment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Whole house surge protection is the place to start. Then point of use surge protection (i.e. power strips).

Add power conditioners or UPS only if you need power conditioning or UPSing.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You definetly want to have a true sine wave going in to your equipment. All electronics that use AC voltage are designed around a true sine wave. Most UPS' don't provide that. They usually output a step-wave. I could give you an example but if would require a good understanding of electricity.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi
You definetly want to have a true sine wave going in to your equipment. All electronics that use AC voltage are designed around a true sine wave. Most UPS' don't provide that. They usually output a step-wave. I could give you an example but if would require a good understanding of electricity.
Do you know if Monster Power Centers output a pure sine wave or

do they output a square wave like most UPS'?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:

I understand that the True Sine Wave from a UPS is preferable but, my question is do pulse width modulated squarewaves (simulated sine wave) that a lot of UPS' output do any damage or shorten the life of our A/V equipment?

In a nut shell is this type of waveform (simulated sine wave) suitable just not the preferred??

Thanks for any info!!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Definitely not. Something like a speaker or motor can handle it because there aren't many components in those things. More sensitive equipment like microdisplays and computers are more susceptible to the squarewaves. Apply a 60hz sine wave to a speaker then change the signal to a 60hz step wave and see how the speaker reacts.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce
I don't and I have owned almost a dozen laptops and desktops over the last 10

years...

I live in a commuity that is about 20 years old with really good power supply -

I haven't experienced an outage for several years...
Then you have been very fortunate. I think most factory display warranties cover power damage anyway now. I would rather not take the chance myself.

My community is only 5 years old, in California with underground wiring, and yet I have experienced sudden outages as well as brownouts at odd times. More than I expected, and I am glad my equipment is protected accordingly. Your mileage may vary.... :)

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Definitely not. Something like a speaker or motor can handle it because there aren't many components in those things. More sensitive equipment like microdisplays and computers are more susceptible to the squarewaves. Apply a 60hz sine wave to a speaker then change the signal to a 60hz step wave and see how the speaker reacts.

My understanding, from the APC rep. is all their products put out good sine waves.

I am sure most are good enough for powering down equipment and allow the fan to cool the lamp for a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:

Thanks ogbuehi... makes you wonder why so many products such as the PureAV Home Theater Battery Backup with AVR Technology use that approach. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt
My understanding, from the APC rep. is all their products put out good sine waves.

I am sure most are good enough for powering down equipment and allow the fan to cool the lamp for a couple of minutes.
I am glad you are sure - to me its just one more extraneous item that

may do more harm than good...

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.