AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This can be very long winded so I will first put the question itself, then more detail as needed to answer:

In an LLT sono with an 8" flared port, how much will it effect the tune to run a 1" piece of wood accross the mouth of the port deep inside the tube?

I adapted a flair from HVAC and some mistakes forced me to attach the port to it while the tube was on its side, not the port was not a perfect fit to the flair and the flair fit inside the port leaving a very small direct contact area.

To make it worse this was done on its side so some parts of the port are angled away from the contact point and gravity will tend to stress them more. I simply CANT have anything fail!

So to be safe I figure I will run a 1" tall thick and wide piece of wood that is 18" long along oposites sides of the sonotube and used wood glue to make sure there is plenty of surface area without using larger wood that would be effected by the curve of the tube. Then use glue blocks and attach them to these parallel pieces of wood and finally place a piece of the same wood along these wood blocks with wood glue and put it so it adds just slight preassure or support to the port. This would also brace the tube slightly.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
to answer that question, one would need some pretty sophisticated fluid dynamics modelling software and maybe even some time on a supercomputer.

as a first order approximation, it shouldn't effect the tune. it will reduce the spl at which port chuffing/turbulence occurs though. as for how much, who knows. if you could brace it with a piece of steel (something like 1/8" x 1/2") that would have virtually no effect on airflow if the steel was arranged parallel to airflow. a piece of mini-re-bar (round steel, 1/8"-1/4") could also work with near zero effect on airflow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If I follow you correctly, you are putting a brace across the throat of the inner flare to keep it from falling off? Probably not the best solution....

Remember: Duct tape is your friend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts