AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know I recently switched from the 65xwx to the 57swx, and I went to the smaller size for a better picture,and chose the SWX because I hadn't used the internal decoder hardly at all because where I live the cable company has all the locals in HD.

I knew all of the differences before I bought the first time and of all of them felt the only 1 that I would miss a little was the darker screen cover. I knew that while I would get more light from the outside, I would also get a tradeoff of more brightness from the inside, so in the end that alone was not given much thought for the monetary difference involved. I tried to look for a TWX, the model with a better cabinet and the same screen cover at the XWX, but nobody in my town deals in that model.

I just love my SWX 57 inch and the picture is even better then any of them that I had seen on display at the different stores, but there is one feature that I hadn't really considered would impact my watching pleasure, which does. The cabinet on the SWX models is a light gray, as oppossed to the black on the XWX and TWX and with the exception of the front of the unit I am indifferent to that feature, but on the front, it actually stands out when you watch it, and draws attention away from the program you watch. I am hoping that I grow used to that and just start not noticing it, but it is distracting, and from an erognomic standpoint is suprising considering how many other less obvious things that are really thought out on this set. I am suprised that given how it stands out, that I haven't heard that brought up before, but many other brands do have the same thing or worse as is the case with that fricken silver Sony, so I am wondering that if this effect is just seeming exagerated at first because I just had the black XWX in my house until last week, and so it just stands out initially.

If I can't stop noticing it, I guess I could use some sort of black material and just put in on the borders on the top and bottom to rid it of this effect, but I believe my old 60sbx analog Hitachi had similar borders and I don't recall ever thinking that before I had the black unit just prior to this.

There is a good chance that it is just the memory doing it, because for the first 2 days I had the 57 inch set, I did keep thinking how much smaller it looked, even though the picture was just liquid, but on day 3 I stopped thinking that, after I got more used to the new size.

I am 3 weeks away from having this puppy calibrated and I am so excited about the prospects of how good a set that already looks so incredible will look after it is given the touch of a video expert. If any of you have any idea's as to anything one could do for this gray effect without seriously changing the exterior in a manner that would be overkill, I would be very interested in what you have to say?

·
Registered
117 Posts
A $1.99 can of #1613 Krylon semi-flat black spray paint.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
You bring up a great point. I can't stand the light gray or silver cabinets of 90% of the tv' made today. When will manufacturers take note that a black cabinet makes for a better picture. If only everybody's tv cabinet looked like a Pioneer Elite!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Joel Solid
Dude you should have kept your defective 65XWX. lol just messin with ya.
I really had no choice even if I had known because of my deal and where I live, but I do think it is because I had the all black one and hopefully will go away with perception, but if it doesnt, I will just paint or cover it with black. I am watching a DVD right now, and it looks better then any HD program I ever saw on the 65xwx and that just isn't possible unless something is very wrong. I will always wonder if all of them look like they do here, but at least it isn't my issue anymore.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I also have the Hit 57 but I hardly notice the gray coloring. I do notice the black bars on the HD broadcast on ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox which are irritating. Why can't everybody broadcast like PBS (on channel 308)?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LeoDLion
I also have the Hit 57 but I hardly notice the gray coloring. I do notice the black bars on the HD broadcast on ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox which are irritating. Why can't everybody broadcast like PBS (on channel 308)?
I am referring to the gray on the front top and bottom and sides of the actual cabinet standing out, and nothing on the picture itself. On the XWX and TWX models it is solid black and doesn't draw any attention, and my 60sbx I had just prior to going HD had the same essential cabinet color at this SWX, and before I had the XWX I never noticed it, but after I just switched it out, back to that color, I seem to notice it on all programming, HD or analog.

I don't mind the bars, except for the HD or digital channels, because that is something that the local feed is doing, and not the way it is received by them, so it is a matter of a choice by them. I think it is because the XWX and TWX models are so black, which does minimize taking your view away from the picture, and having that in my living room for 3 months, that has caused me to notice that gray now. Sorry about the confusion, and if I can't get used to it I am either going to paint those parts or put a black cover of some sort over them, because it really does detract from the picture. The worst part is whether it is black or gray, it costs the same, but Hitachi must have done it just to be another way they separate their top from next model, but since it does detract and doesn't cost a penny more, it is suprising that they worsen one to give another a leg up, when there are several other ways the xwx does distinguish itself. I wake up every morning just wishing it was the day I calibrate this puppy, but I have 2 more weeks to go.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Addicted,

Be careful painting the sides of the tv. Spraying will be tricky. You need to tape the screen to prevent paint spray on it. If I were to do it, I'll try paint brush but still would tape the screen. Make sure the tape you use comes off easily.

By the way, I have gotten my sets of Rockets speakers!!! Its great.

Leo

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
My only beef is with the damn logo's that all the networks put in the lower right hand corner. I know I am watching NBC or CBS...don't remind me of that fact with your damn logo!!!

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LeoDLion
are these bars at the top & bottom or sides when viewing OTA networks??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.