Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've serious problems centering the raster horizontally on the phosphor of my VPH-1272QM!

No matter what video source I hook up, the image/raster is 1 to 2 centimeters (+/- 0.8 inch ) offcenter. In other words: The raster touches the right edge of the phosphor on all three crts when there's still a lot of space on the left side of the phosphor.

I tried factory reset and then tweaked green center to maximum. But it wouldn't center. Still about 0.5 inches (1.4cm) space on the left side which remain unused.

The only way I could center the picture/raster properly on the phosphor was powerstrip. But I'm not using HTPC and my Skyworth 1050D wouldn't have a pic-shift feature...

The only post I found concerning this problem was by the famous Tim:
Quote:
[...]If the centering isn't corrected by that then an experienced technician will need to align the flare magnet rings near the rear of each tube neck, those will affect centering somewhat; if flare alignment doesn't do it then the technician will need to loosen and align the focus yokes, which affect centering considerably. If the horizons remain tilted then the glue holding the scan yokes will have to be chipped away to permit those alignments. All of these yoke alignments involve reaching amid lethal voltages inside the tube covers and are wisely left to experienced technicians.[...]
Well, is this the only way to center the raster on my 1272?

I'm planning to do all by myself. Could you explain me which rings exactly are meant to be adjusted?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

PS:

Video sources->Input:

- Skyworth 1050D->5BNC

- Thomson 4500->Video In

- TV/VHS->Video In

- PC->5BNC

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

My comments were directed to the Marquee units; the Sonys may have a different setup procedure for their tube magnetics. Misaligned yokes and magnet rings could account for your problems; best to call in an experienced technician; CRTs are charged to 34,000 volts, and aligning the magnets involves reaching next to lethal voltages. Is there any part of "lethal" that needs further explanation? :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already played around with some rings a couple of weeks ago. Secondly I'm student of informationtechnologies and electrotechnics at FIT the European MIT.

So please explain me how to center the raster properly!

TIA - Andy

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

I would if I was familiar; I do not know the Sony layout; it probably has flare magnet rings, but does it have a focus yoke or centering magnet tabs? Any Sony gurus wanna chime in?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just can't see any yoke to center the raster.

Here's an illustration of a CRT of a sony 1272 (out of the manual):

there's the DY, the sub DY, the pole magnets and that's it....

Any suggestion?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Valiant,

Hopefully this will be helpful but maybe you have already tried this. You will notice that there are two sets of numbers when you try to center green and only one set is able to be adjusted from this menu. Put the projector in "serviceman" mode and go to the zone mode and then you have a lot of adjustment available.

For the 1272 I typically reset everything (include setting the RGB shift to the center position & minimize blanking) then go to the zone mode and adjust all four sets of numbers to display 128 for each color (RGB), then I mechanically (with washers or metal shims) align the tube and lens assembly (together as a unit, not just the lens a.k.a. scheimpflug) to center the three guns. This makes it quite easy to fine adjust things as they don't have to move very far so it is theoretically more stable in convergence.

Richard

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RNO, your my PHD! lol personal hero of the day :)

thanks Richard!!!

i'm feeling sooo stupid. i heard a couple of times that centering on 127xx was done with zone but never understood it!

the second set of numbers is the thing i was looking for. you can move the raster far more with them but with the normal hf / vf numbers!

thanks again!

problem solved :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
No problem. It is very easy to overlook something when there are so many adjustments/options available on most projectors and with a name like Valiant you are probably kept quite busy saving damsels in distress, slaying dragons etc. My life is pretty domestic so I sit around and browse the forum, eat too much ice cream and fiddle with projectors. ;)

best of luck,

Richard

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, i knew that would come :)

i've choosen this nickname several years ago. i even couldn't speak English.

however, i was a star trek fan and deep space nine was new and breathtaking. there was one episode, about the red squad of the Starfleet Academy and their ship, the Valiant, a sister ship of the Defiant.

I thought it's a cool name and it would have been a nice insider.

A few years later I would get to know lionheart in English but it was too late :) .

Conclusion: I'm a dragon slayer, just that my dragons are offensive people and not mythical creatures :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.