Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May I present my delema to everyone.

I am interested in purchasing a receiver for 50/50 usage Music/HT.

my budget is $4000.00 here is my consideration list.

1)Pioneer Elite 49TXi

2)Denon AVR-5803

3)Integra DTS 9.1 U2

4)B&K AVR-507

5)Sunfire Ultimate TGIII

5)Marantz SR9200

I know most of you will see you can't go wrong with any of these. and I beleive that to an extent but not fully. my problem is this all these are carried by different dealers around town and each dealer carries a different brand of speakers so by listening to these receivers there is no way on God's great earth to know what is good and what is not. I am sick of reading cheezy reviews on the web because non of them are objective.

so what is impossible to find out is which one of these or even 2 of these are the best 2. I am starting to lose my mind regarding this subject. I own

Paradigm speakers Studio 100s with the matching CC and Surrounds.

so how in the world did all of you decide on which reciever to buy??????

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
For your speakers, hehehe :) , I would go with whichever provides you the most power per channel. I suggest this, because they have a good impedance dip around 90Hz where you can measure a whopping 3.5 ohms of impedance. Still, I do like those speakers.

BTW, what are you driving those speakers with now?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I wouldn't listen to them other than to investigate the layout and features.

I think they all will be very good and there's probably more than enough adjustments on these that one could make them sound almost exactly alike. (IMHO)

I would pick the one that has the spec's and features that you think are the best for you and your needs.

I like a THX certified machine only becasue one knows that a certified machine has had peer review and must meet a defined criteria.

Now, one might argue that they don't agree with the criteria or that we don't know what it is - stuff like that - but THX is A definite criteria and the only one out there that the receivers have to achieve certain requirments.

In other words, I don't think you can go to a store, or even bring these machines home for a short test and get the best sound out of them. I think you have to live with them a while and really learn what makes the thing tick.

So, anyway I'd pick the one that has the spec's to drive your speakers, and has the extras that you like the best. It will be a difficult decision and do research on this and other forums - research research research!

Good Luck!

Mike

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think that may be a good idea. Since it is impossible to listen to all of these in the same room with the same speakers go with the one has the best amp section to drive your speakers with if they are a difficult load to drive. I believe that leaves you with the Sunfire and the B&K as having the better amp sections.

Good luck.

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
You could try to find one (or two) accommodating dealers who would lend you a unit and/or allow you to bring one is to A/B. That may be difficult (or impossible) to do. If you *did* find one of those dealers, I'd sure give 'em a lot of consideration when purchasing time comes!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WanMan...I am not driving them now I just bought them recently. Highest amp rating will fall to the Sunfire then Denon then B&K but that is not necessarily true since the rating the mfg gives is not always true. as far as amps go I would think the B&K has one of the better amps.

·
Registered
983 Posts
That is correct. The Denon although rated higher does not have as good of an amp section I believe. There was a thread here sometime ago about the Sunfire and the B&K and someone posted about the Rep telling them the Sunfire was 200x2 but like 170x7 do a search and check it out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Sunfire boggles my mind...It is almost hard to believe their ultimate receiver is the size of a pre/pro and it weighs about the same as a pre pro but claims to crank out all that power. just an amp by itself with that kind of power will way 50lb+ that is why I don't know what to think about that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.