AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if it was the timing of this movie, or the selection of high profile actors to make up the main cast, but this movie wasn't received well critically. I loved it, and when I saw it sitting on a shelf at Best Buy a couple of days ago I had to pick it up. I finally had the chance to watch it last night, and boy was I pleased.

The transfer is amazing. In fact, I'll go as far to say its one of the best from my collection. It seems like, for every release, the overall quality of HD-DVD improves, which continues to be a benefit for all of us early adopters. Now, I don't have a reference setup, nor is it ISF calibrated, so I cannot go into great detail how the picture looks, so hopefully I'll hear from some of you guys that do have these systems. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
452 Posts
For anybody that has it, how does it compare to the DVD release? I've been trying to stop "double dipping" unless there is a significant upgrade in quality. Several of the Weinstein HDDVDs have had TrueHD which makes the purchase a bit easier but this apparently isn't one of those.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRob /forum/post/0

if you liked l4yercake, snatch, way of the gun, ect.. you WILL like this movie

I've seen Snatch and Way of the gun and loved both. Never seen layercake. Is it any good? I'm assuming in that you grouped these together.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Layer Cake is one of my favorite movies over the past couple years. And you can enjoy it being format neutral.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson /forum/post/0

Layer Cake is one of my favorite movies over the past couple years. And you can enjoy it being format neutral.

L4yer Cake was awesome

Excellent movie!

Can't wait to pick up this Lucky # Slevin...wanted to see it in theatres but never got a chance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is Layer Cake available on HD DVD? If it is could someone post up a link to it.

I just searched Amazon and didn't see it for either BD or HD DVD

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan9 /forum/post/0

March if I remember correctly. There is an HD-DVD release list at the top of this forum. I think it's currently available as a Japanese Import...but it would be $45 or so to purchase.

Ron

·
Registered
919 Posts
So is this movie like Snatch, Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels? I like both of those movies, this will be a renter for me just to see how good it is 1st.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan9 /forum/post/0

Layer Cake is Exclusive to Blu-ray. It will be released on Blu-ray on 3/13/07.

~Josh

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0

Layer Cake is Exclusive to Blu-ray. It will be released on Blu-ray on 3/13/07.

~Josh

Sorry, Josh is correct. I've got both formats, so I don't always distingush between whether it's BD or HD-DVD. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Banned
720 Posts
My Lucky Number Slevin is still waiting to ship from amazon. It was a pretty good movie I though.

I need to rent Layer Cake when it comes out.

I watched it on TV when I had the flu and I kept falling asleep and waking up. All I remember is something about drugs and people yelling at each other, fell asleep, woke up to Daniel Craig getting the crap kicked out of him, fell asleep again, wake up to rolling credits. Worst movie experience I've had so far, mainly to the flu though.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRob /forum/post/0

if you liked l4yercake, snatch, way of the gun, ect.. you WILL like this movie

Sounds like I will LOVE this movie!

Although, I haven't seen layercake, but it sounds like I should.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/0

Sorry, Josh is correct. I've got both formats, so I don't always distingush between whether it's BD or HD-DVD. Sorry for the confusion.

So which one is considered better? the HD-DVD or BD version of LayerCake?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts