AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In typical ABC fashion, Mission Impossible looks soft and very DVD-like. ABC might be making progress on the color changing problem, as I only noticed it about 30 times during the entire show. I'm glad ABC preserves OAR though.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I wasn't at home and could not catch the HD version, but I saw that at the beginning of the NTSC version on cable it said "presented in HDTV where available" at the bottom of the screen. Is this new for ABC? I'm glad to see them advertising HD like they do on CBS.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar
In typical ABC fashion, Mission Impossible looks soft and very DVD-like.
Sure, not perfect but wowee, you compare the picture and format NSTC viewers were getting compared to what us HD'ers are seeing... OAR, great color and pretty good res. I'm sure that at least through my HD100 I never see the kind of needle sharp res on ABC that CBS seems to routinely deliver, presumably my STB munges it a bit. But overall, I'm impressed with the presentation (the movie sucks; Tom Cruise should be ashamed of himself for hijacking this American Classic).

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Beck
Why can't they use DD for this movie? Just my local or?
They did use DD. At least on KOMO-DT/Seattle. Looked pretty good to me. Glad to see it in OAR.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Was also DD 5.1 up here in Canuck land over BEV 6000.

Picture was a tad sharper then DVD, like most of ABC's 720p offerings. Not quite up to CBS's quality though (as someone already mentioned).

Colours seemed really punchy though. Nicer then the NTSC colours we get off of DVD.

Kal

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:
I found this to be an extremely high quality presentation - very sharp, and unquestionably better than DVD.
I agree! Great picture and sound!

WoW!

·
Registered
119 Posts
>>Was also DD 5.1 up here in Canuck land over BEV 6000.

Really? First part of the movie seemed to be playing in stereo, and I didn't hear anything out of my rear surrounds all evening.

Picture looked great, though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was impressed by the striking blacks and whites during the scene where Cruise is lowered down the vault on the cable.

Although I only watched about one hour, it looked very good and was in DD 5.1 in South Florida. I'm eagerly awaiting Saving Private Ryan tonight.

Funny thing is before I had HD, I'd never watch a network movie.

Thank you for your efforts ABC.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Would have been nice to have DD on this as well.(my local hasn't gotten their acts together yet:confused: )

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,677 Posts
In Detroit, we had OAR, DD 5.1 and a solid image quality.

All in all, a good job by ABC. Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have no complaints. It looked great, it was typical HD quality. I am very happy they preserved the 2.3:1 aspect ratio. I had my other TV turned on to normal NTSC, it was 4x3 full screen pan and scan and it sucks. Some scenes with 2 people showed only 1 on the 4x3 ! Talk about preserving the director's cut !

Thank you ABC, you are doing the right thing. But we want more of this HD!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,677 Posts
My processor has indicators for all 5.1 channels, and they were all lit. My ears heard audio from all 5.1 channels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.