AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a well thought-out device and very intuitive, you almost don't need the instruction manual. Operation is very streamlined, and the gemstone buttons are a nice upgrade from the previous version. It has a nice weight to it and the rubberized texture is a bonus. I especially like the favorites feature while watching TV. You can assign text to each of the top buttons so they say "NBC, ABC, ABCHD" etc and then just hit that button and it enters the number you pre-assigned. I love this because I have such a poor memory for what channel is discovery on? etc. The backlighting is very nice too. It doesn't hum like cheaper universal remotes. The learning ability is the easiest I have seen. Additionally, it always catches the signals when learning unlike others I have used. Finally, the range is great. You can basically point it away from the TV and it still gets the signal. Overall I am ecstatic!

It's not as flashy as the Prontos but I like my hard buttons so I sold my old one. Additionally, and not to knock the Pronto's, I had the 500 setup in about 2 hours while I was beginning to understand the Pronto at the 2 hour mark.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Yea the MX 500 is a killer remote for what it can do, and it can do everyhting the Pronto can. At least I can make it do what the pronto can do.

As stated above a ver very good universal remote. If I dont sell a customer aPronto I sell them an MX-500

·
Registered
645 Posts
I recently used the MX 500 at a friends house. I found it to be quite ergonomic but not very intuitive and I didn't even try to program it. I thought about trying one just because I love to program them so that they are really easy to use. It's a good brain exercise in simplification.

The real bummer and I mean a big one was the enter function of the 5 way cursor button. This was so imprecise that I decided already after 2 minutes I'd not buy one just because of this. I am only 30, have perfect control of my fingers and use a lot of remotes but this particular click truly sucks.

All other buttons press very nicely but this one. I find a 5-way cursor is something very convenient in a remote. I can't believe the new Pronto 3000? only has a 4-way otherwise I might have bought it.

A cursor that works very well indeed is that of Pio's remote control for the DV-47 a. Excellent handling even in the dark and even though it's unlit. Perfect sensory feedback, what else do you need hard buttons for?

Till

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
How old was the MX-500 you tried, Till? Some of the older "Gemstone" models (from a year ago) had very difficult to control "Select" buttons. The current models are much easier.

For those who do find it a problem, it's best to place the "pad" of your thumb over the thumbpad rather than try to push the center with the tip of your thumb. With your thumb covering the pad, your can push the center with less wobble.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I finally saw this unit and it appears very similar to the first Marantz unit that I had. Is there a connection? Just interested.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Quote:
I am only 30, have perfect control of my fingers and use a lot of remotes but this particular click truly sucks. [/b]

Hmmm, I'm 46, and I seriously question this statement if you have problems with the 500. Don't even bother with a touchscreen with ZERO tactile feedback. No, it's not as nice as the joystick on some Sony remotes, but it's way better than the cursor pads on most remotes I have.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mike,

you might be right. My friends remote is probably around a year old. I figured out your middle of thumb trick fairly soon but still found it wobbly.

Actually I use a Take Control 1000 now. It has no 5way cursor which is its greatest fault. It has a three way roller with perfect tactile feedback. So I had to put my menu controls on its LCD touchscreen. You get a little ffedback from the screen but of course less than from any button. But you can make it give you a little beep to confirm the command. This works really well and the beep is not annoying. When the batteries start to drain you have to align the touchscreen about twice a week. that takes me less than 15 seconds and doesn't bother me.

I find the programmability excellent and super simple. For once a MS product that even a computer illiterate can deal with nicely.

I would like to try the software and hardware of the MX-700 but find it too expensive. And the sidekick is a joke or rip-off depending on how you interpret it. It's worth maybe 30$ but not more. Too bad because the idea could have carried better fruits.

I have even design plans for what I would call the perfect remote and wish I knew someone to produce this thing. It would not cost more than 400$ and put all others to shame. If anyone knows someone who is into that let me know.

Till

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mroll
No, there's no connection to the old Marantz remote, except that HTM improved on the idea.
The Marantz wasn't the first with this type of LCD display remote, Pioneer's CU-AV200, came out around 1989-90, about 6-years before the Marantz.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.