AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished watching two movies with my new Z1, and I have played around with it for off and on for the past two days. Over all, it gives a fantastic image, and I am very pleased. I have only used it with my laptop, WinDVD and a 72†wide screen made of “ThermoSuede†blackout cloth. I sit 11 feet from the screen. I do not have experience using it with a stand alone DVD player yet. I do have some “issues†with the unit, but they are minor.


Screendoor: It is present, but doesn’t intrude unless I make a conscious choice to think about it.


Fan noise I: The fan is strange. In “cinema†mode, it is nearly silent. However, every thirty minutes or so, it will spring to life and sound like a 747 taking off. Thirty seconds later, it’s silent again. Obtrusive, but tolerable.


Fan noise II: Watching a movie in “bright mode†or Computer monitor mode is not practical because the fan noise is too loud. It is fine for use as an external display for computer work. The blacks are washed out in bright mode as well. This is fine for computer work, but not for movies. I would only watch movies in “Cinema†mode anyway.


High Pitched Noise. I hesitate to mention this because it is such a small thing to the majority of users. My disclaimer is that I am hyper-sensitive to high pitched sounds. When the unit is off, but plugged in, if you get within a few feet of it, there is a very noticeable high pitched sound that is similar to the sound of a CRT monitor when it is on. This is a constant beaming of high pitched sound around 15,000 Hz. If CRT computer monitors don’t bother you, this won’t. It is a problem for me, though. I leave it unplugged.


Digital Zoom and Non Anamorphic DVD’s:

There are three screen settings: “Normal†is 4:3, “Full†stretches anamorphic DVD’s, and the results are amazing. Non anamorphic letterbox DVDs are a problem. They are stretched and make everything too wide on “Fullâ€. The “Normal†setting places a letterbox of the film within a 4:3 letterbox. This makes for a very small display in the center that doesn’t touch the edge of the screen on any of the four sides. Digital Zoom makes this image bigger…almost the entire width of the screen. With additional lens zooming, the entire width can easily be filled. The problem is that the menu constantly displays the words “Digital Zoom†in the upper left corner of the screen when this feature is active. The menu display of “Full†and “Normal†disappear after ten seconds. This almost makes Digital Zoom unusable for non anamorphic letterbox movies. It really is distracting. Does anyone know how to turn this constant menu display off??


AutoSync: When using the computer VGA input, “AutoSync†is a feature that works incredibly well. I use the digital test pattern by Mark Rejhon. After hitting AutoSync, the image is rock stable with no moiré. I made a first stab setting up a custom resolution with PowerStrip, but could not get it as good as the computer could with AutoSync. I am a PowerStrip novice, so I am not the best to judge this.


Color Temp: The color temperature choices are High, Mid, Low, Very Low. I use Low, but do not know which is 6500K. Does anyone know the answer to this??


External light. I have a room with poor light control. This is an “after 6 p.m.†projector for movies. Low lighting from a lamp is fine. The sun is another matter.


I am highlighting the negatives, but believe me; I am not sending this unit back. I am very pleased, and can’t wait to try an HDTV signal on it. I hope this helps.


Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for your post. I'm just about ready to order a PLV-Z1 and I'm glad to find a review that takes a balanced view of both the strengths and weaknesses of the PJ.


Its funny, but it seems a lot of reviews from new owners of any new product are sometimes overly positive. Maybe they are trying to still convince themselves they made the right purchase and don't want to recognize any weaknesses.


The only issue I had previously read about was the fan noise issue. I am a little concerned about the issue you described with Non anamorphic letterbox DVDs. Have you found a solution?


I still think I will get the Z1. In this price range I think any PJ will have a certain number of weaknesses. Its just nice to know what to expect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
You can get rid of the D. Zoom box. I figured out just messing around when I set it up in my office at work.


I know displaying the menu, then exiting the menu will make it go a way.

also in the menu, I think it is named something like 'display' It is not well named, doesn't really say what it does. It also causes, 'Full", 'Normal' bixes not to show either


Next time I have the machine up, I'll fill you in some more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trspl
Fan noise I: The fan is strange. In “cinema†mode, it is nearly silent. However, every thirty minutes or so, it will spring to life and sound like a 747 taking off. Thirty seconds later, it’s silent again. Obtrusive, but tolerable.
Maybe it's a new special feature that reminds you to relieve your bladder every so often? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim J
Yes, reviewing the manual


it is in the 'settings' menu (Bottom-most tab), item called 'Display'


try it
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it. The strange thing is that the display of "FULL' and "NORMAL" automatically dissapeared while "D. ZOOM" continuously displayed and would not dissapear. I'll pull out the projector and let you know.


Thx.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,339 Posts
Quote:
Its funny, but it seems a lot of reviews from new owners of any new product are sometimes overly positive. Maybe they are trying to still convince themselves they made the right purchase and don't want to recognize any weaknesses.


The only issue I had previously read about was the fan noise issue. I am a little concerned about the issue you described with Non anamorphic letterbox DVDs. Have you found a solution?
maybe because other owners haven't found any real weaknesses with the projector. I don't think tom's complaints are real issues so if I were doing a full review of the projector, I wouldn't mention them.


the fan issue ins't even a universal problem as well. it amazes me that people will assume it is because a few people have mentioned it. these people seem to choose to ignore the owners who say it does not happen to them.


as for the non anamorphic issue, not a problem for me since i have a dvd player that scales them up for 16x9 playback. even if I didn't have a player whihc could do that, it still wouldn't be a problem for me. why? because that is how non anamorphic dvds are displayed on 16x9 display devices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trspl

High Pitched Noise. I hesitate to mention this because it is such a small thing to the majority of users. My disclaimer is that I am hyper-sensitive to high pitched sounds. When the unit is off, but plugged in, if you get within a few feet of it, there is a very noticeable high pitched sound that is similar to the sound of a CRT monitor when it is on. This is a constant beaming of high pitched sound around 15,000 Hz. If CRT computer monitors don’t bother you, this won’t. It is a problem for me, though. I leave it unplugged.
I'm waiting for mine and it's an issue to me, hope that it has been fixed

Quote:
Originally posted by trspl [/b]

Color Temp: The color temperature choices are High, Mid, Low, Very Low. I use Low, but do not know which is 6500K. Does anyone know the answer to this??

[/b]
It is not possible, someone in France have tried to setup col. temp with colorfacts and they obtained at least a 8000° @100 IRE.

He told me to use a red filter to improve color temperature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MBON,


Thanks for the feedback on color temperature. Projectorcentral.com is going to post a review tomorrow, and I hope this issue will be addressed. The color balance of the unit is pleasing, but I don't know how accurate they are.


Tom
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top