AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in typical ABC fashion, this film looks very soft, grainy, and DVD-like. i sound like a broken record whenever ABC starts HD. i did an A/B with my DVD and I am sticking with the DVD. there is more EE on the DVD but I feel it is more detailed.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Is it wide screen? I'm just picking up the east coast feed on Dish right now. I have to wait for the west coast OTA from San Diego to get it in HDTV. but. right now it is in 4:3 format and start of film said it was modified to fit your TV.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is in widescreen and the audio is fine in houston. it did have a "simulcast on HDTV" logo at the beginning. i gotta say this is a step up from previous ABC HD shows but it could still be better. maybe it will never be any better for someone who has to upconvert it to 1080i :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks about the same as the DVD to me. I'm in So.Fla too and had a few audio dropouts and even the video dropped out once too.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Looks very grainy and no better (possibly slightly worse) than the DVD. I realize some of the grain was intentional from Spielberg but this definitely does not appear to be a good transfer of the film. How does this version compare to the HBO version, anyone?

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by romy101
Audio popping here in south florida. Is it just me?
Nope, it's not just you. LOTS of very, very loud audio popping. Happens a lot with WPLG's showing of HD movies. Enough to make some films completely unwatchable. They've been on the air with a digital signal since 1999...you'd expect them to get it right by now.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The PQ seemed to get a lot better towards the end of the first hour.

For those of you having audio problems I've not heard anything out of the ordinary with the ABC-HD feed off of T4 using my Unity Motion STB...must be a local affil problem.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Apparently, the audio problems affected South Florida only. It got so bad that they took the HD feed offline for about 10 minutes, got it fixed, then put the HD feed back without the audio problems. Oh well, I guess I was foolish to think I would have a copy for my archives.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The film has the same "vertical streaking" which is very noticable in the flames. From what I can remember it looks the same as the HBO version. I too am watching on my UM and in theory I should have the best picture I can get. The DD is very good from ABC.

Al Keown

·
Banned
410 Posts
Slightly better than DVD. Some audio popping in the surrounds. WAY TOO MANY COMMERCIALS. I don't see what the MPAA is worried about. How can anyone prefer to watch THIS over DVD when you have to suffer through the network mind garbage?

I turned it off.

Rick

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Does anyone have an HDTV that does 720P. I find that the 720P upconverted to 1080i on my Pioneer does not look better than my DVD's. I have watched Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and now SPR. On all three, I have found my 480P DVD's look better than the upconverted 720P.

Is there a easily discernabile difference between 480P DVD's and a television that can output 720P?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Did a comparison between DVD (480p) and the HDTV broadcast (1080i) this evening from the ABC station in Cincinnati. The DVD looks much sharper and more detailed. I am not pleased at all with this transfer from ABC. Also it seems that Dobly 5.1 is not being broadcast from the Cincy station.

Also, I thought that there were supposed to be no commercials tonight?? I will watch the DVD thank you very much.

James

·
Registered
634 Posts
I thought WCVB OTA HD was better than the DVD, but I saw that months ago. Hard to tell how much was "director's choice", in that colors, etc. were part of the mood. All in all, a good experience.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
OK, I know that they have to make a living. But first of all, they flat out lied to us - in their press release and on the air! Fine. They have to do commercials. Five minutes on. One to two off??!!! Last network movie I watch.

PQ: Grainy. Seen better DVDs. Seen far superior HD movies. Shame.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think I must have a completely different setup than your guys; it looked great on my HD setup; first time I've seen it since its release, and it's as powerful and important now as it was then; I'm so glad this movie was made.

Gref

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
I'm so glad this movie was made.
Althought I've had the DVD for some time, tonight's broadcast was the first time I've seen SPR. I had my father (WWII vet) and close family friends, children of a two-star general, over. ABC's treatment was mixed, as reported above.

Horrific and honest (I'm told) in it's depiction of the heat of battle. Bravo to all involved!

But it's strange I think for a major network to show what I believe to be a very anti-war film as our nation is waging battle overseas . . .

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
speaking of content, this does not hold a candle to band of brothers. BOB was so realistic and now SPR just seems like an overly dramatic piece of junk.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.