AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching for a reference tube preamp, I decided to crash CES to hear the REX which was paired with Magico Minis. It was my first "audition" of a BAT product (albeit under "show" conditions). I found the REX very resolving and really quite impressive under the circumstances (air around instruments, timbre, and spatial cues). However, upon multiple visits I always left with the overall impression of a slightly dark and matter of fact presentation--very un-tube like in the classic sense. As my reference for comparison, I owned the ARC Ref One and 2 for years.

Reviews often compare BAT tube preamps with SS, but I don't recall others finding the sound "dark." The REX really has some exciting features, both in its ultra-balanced design and tube flexibility. Anyone else have a different impression of the REX, perhaps with a bit more experience with BAT products? Thanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.