AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appreciate patience with novice trying to improve dialogue clarity. Have Energy Take Classic w/o rears after installation issues on ceiling & toddler who'd destroy if within reach. Trying to keep my bride happy w bookshelf speakers inside a 12" deep ent center w back that prob interferes w rear ports on Energies. Any ideas on quality of Polk $60 T15s w bigger woofer & forward port for L/R as 2.1 or with Energy center? Pioneer 521K receiver & fronts 12 feet from couch, but room continues another 12' behind, couch against Right wall & to left is 30' of entryway. Trying to hear dialogue better w/o hi volume. Appreciate help that fits in ent center & under $100 since I'm already not using 2 Energy speakers & system is 2 yrs old. Thanks

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Tried adjusting the level on the AVR for the C ch up a bit and see if that helps? RTM to find out how for your model.

If that doesn't improve it, it would most likely be the centre I would look at improving as that's where most dialogue is anchored.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Center is only forward port in this setup, wasn't sure how much muddying of voices might be coming from rear ported l/r but I'll up the center & see if it improves.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbk76  /t/1520898/improve-dialogue-clarity-w-mixed-fronts/0_50#post_24436513

Center is only forward port in this setup, wasn't sure how much muddying of voices might be coming from rear ported l/r
It's unlikely to have much effect at all as ports' bandpass is typically below most voice.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The front port is what you want when the speaker is confined like that.

The T15 is also a much better speaker in every respect.

It helps to have your center speaker only operate above 130 Hz.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really appreciate the response. Ordered last night on good deal & was hoping not to have to return it but didn't find any professional reviews of T15. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
For small inexpensive speakers, whose boxes tend to be too "live', it can be very helpful to open the box and glue some polyester fiberfill (one inch thick or so) to the inside surfaces, especially the back panel.

You can get the material by stripping out an old pillow, stuffed toy, or sleeping bag. It is also available cheap at stores that sell cloth and home sewing supplies, craft stores, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts