AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a IGPU 9300 running Windows 7 Media Centre. I have noticed that the inbuilt tuner of my TV (Panasonic LZD80) seems to do a better job of upscaling SD pictures from the internal DVB-T and DVB-S stb than the graphics card. The dvb-t tunder I use is a KWORLD PC160-2T and dvb-s a Compro s350. Basically the picture is more jaggedy and I am more aware of pixelation. Is this down to the harwardware or codec? It's not awful, just not as good.

I'd like to be able to use ffdshow to upscale if possible as I have noticed that this does a better job when upscaling dvds. Is this possible? Or is there some other way to improve the pic? The resolution is set to 1080p.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wasting you time with this. I had been on many forums in the past 3-4 years asking this question. So people say they get a great picture with a pc tv card ( and some say the moon is made of cheese). I have 2 htpc 46" samsung series 6 with dvb c , dvb s and dvb t cards , compared to my sat and cable box the picture quality is poor. I have many times upgrade my graphics card in hope that this would be the one but to no avail. I was looking at getting an Edge from Dvdo to sort the PQ. I hope someone disagrees with me and solves your problem.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I only have a 1080i 42" plasma but OTA HD from my A188 with my ATI 5670 looks better than when the OAT antenna is plugged into my tv. It's been about a year since my cable box but I can't remember a difference.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
There are significant differenences between the MPEG2 decompression and decoder video chip, and the graphics card or software used in a pc then from the equivalent video processing chips in HDTVs. The newer HDTVs in general are better at handling the HD channels then the older ones and the chips in the TVs get better every year.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I have dual core ATOM with the ION graphic subsystem, so basically the same as a 9300M IGP. Settings can make a huge difference. With this low end Nvidia solution you need to chose the option to let the hardware setting control the TV image quality. I found that defaut setting using Media Center was terrible for jaggies. You can get the PC to produce a nearly flawless image, but it is not as straightforward as plugging it. You have levels to adjust, because your TV is set to video not PC levels. PCs sending video to TVs can look very good, the decoder being used is critical as well.

I am not as well versed in Win -7 as the earlier Operating Systems and I found that letting Media Center setting up what the decoder does will not give the best results in 7. All that said, an HTPC is a not really the easiest or most ideal way to get the best image quality out of the newest TVs. Also the tuners available for the PC are not as sensitive or robust as what is in the newest TVs or in something like a Tivo HD. I can take the same cable and plug it into whatever PC TV tuner you like and the Tivo will easily play channels that the PC tuner of your choice won't find or can not get a signal lock on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
setting the resolution of the the pc to SD seems to produce a better result, presumably because the tv is then doing the upscaling?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbonvidia /forum/post/18270760

Is this down to the harwardware or codec?

The poor PQ has nothing to do with the digital TV tuner hardware.

It is a codec and scaler problem.

Try google for dScaler and PureVideo, which are software from several years ago to address upscaling SD video.

> I'd like to be able to use ffdshow

You can install the shark codec pack that includes ffdshow, but ffdshow is not compatible with Media Center LiveTV. The other MPEG2 codec in that pack that you could try is the Cyberlink decoder.

PureVideo might still be available for 30-day free trial from the nVidia site, and is compatible with MCE 2005, but Win7 is ???

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The XP PureVideo MPEG2 decoder softwasre was developed by Nvidia for XP and although you may get it to run in Vista or in Win7 it its not reccomended by Nvidia to do so. It is still available from them $20.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts