AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally, I was one of those people who said all you really needed for the AE100 was a progressive player wired directly to the component input. Now I have seen the light with my new AA transcoder!! Now, I will not say it is a night and day improvement or the like, but the picture is a LOT clearer and more detailed.

I also added a Hoya FL-D filter- this to me might have been an even more impactful upgrade than the transcoder. For something so cheap it really does a lot for the picture. It reduced the appearance of vertical banding to a much more tolerable level, and really, really made a signifigant black level improvement. The colors also look more natural and balanced.

For less than $300 I feel like I have a brand new projector all over again. My dissapointment with some little nitpicky things had left me with a growing desire to go ahead and upgrade to something like an XV-Z9000, but I no longer feel that desire.

If you have an AE100, and you are not using a HTPC, iScan or Transcoder, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. The Hoya filter aint a bad idea either-

Enjoying the hobby.........

Andrew B.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
AE100+Hoya+RP56+AA Transcoder is a great combination. Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I bought a transcoder last week to use with my Panasonic RP91 and compared to just component input of the AE100, the difference isvery subtle. Yes, the picture is tad cleaer but nothing major.

People who say the only way to use this pj is via the vga or that the component input is junk either have some issues, are way overreacting or have bad equipment (cables maybe?) because the difference is minor at best.

Hmm...I have the north american ae100 and msot who go on about how crappy the component is and how vga is soooooo much better use the Japanese version. I wonder if they tweaked the N.A version and that is the reason why there is not that big a difference. Because really, I shake my head at the thought of some comments on here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will a transcoder improve picture quality on the AE100, even with a NON-progressive scan DVD player? (ie. the Xbox DVD playback)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, I have a Japanese version and I am using the component input with my Toshiba SD3750 progressive DVD player. I keep hearing about how crappy the component input is and how much better the VGA input is, but I keep looking at the screen and thinking that 'it couldn't get much better'. I am very, very, very satisfied with the component input of my AE100. I agree with rlindo. I think people who say the component input is bad might have bad equipment or cables. Or maybe I just got lucky and got a good AE100.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
People who say the only way to use this pj is via the vga or that the component input is junk either have some issues, are way overreacting or have bad equipment (cables maybe?) because the difference is minor at best.

I never said the only way to use this projector is via the VGA input. I am not over-reacting, have NO issues, and certainly do not have bad equipment. The component input does not look bad at all- it has a very watch-able image. Actually, I still think the biggest improvement I made in the picture quality was the Hoya FL-D filter. But, there IS a noticeable increase in picture clarity using the VGA input, and there are less aliasing artifacts as well. One of the biggest places I notice the increased clarity is on opening or closing credits. Using the component input, the image is fuzzy and unclear- using the VGA input, it is much more clear and defined- letters have less stair-stepping and are more readable.

I am not saying the component input is bad- actually it is still quite impressive IMO, just not quite as impressive as the VGA input. Heck, even Panasonic admits as much in the manual- it rates the component input as grade "A", and the VGA input as grade "AA".

As for the filter, I purchased it at Warehouse Photographic, Inc.
http://www.warehousephoto.com/hoyafl-d.htm

Cheers

Andrew B.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
md2--

Transcoder is only for progressive component conversion. Use an iScan for non-progressive dvd.

rlindo--

It really depends on your source material and setup whether you require more than just component. I view fairly close to the screen simply because I don't have the space in my living room to backup from the image. While I'm no videophile, from 1.5x viewing distance , some things jump out at me and bother me.

For instance, animated pictures like Shrek or Toy Story bug me on component input. I see subtle non-crispness in the component signal and it goes away with the transcoder. An other example is the stairstepping on the STAR WARS opening receding text (vertical lines on T, I, M, N, etc) that bothers me on component. They disappear with a HTPC and transcoder.

Component isn't junk... it's good, but the transcoder is very good, almost HTPC quality. If you are used the crispness of HTPC signal, then component is a definite step backwards (at least to my eyes). The transcoder nicely closes the gap between PS DVD and HTPC.

·
Registered
458 Posts
When I first hooked up a HTPC it looked better than anything tried previously, and that time the image was not pixel perfect. Using Powerstrip I now have a pixel perfect image in WIDE480 mode, 856*480 in Powerstrip, with the AE100 Dot Clock set to +8 and Clock Phase set to 0. I don't have a transcoder to use, but the HTPC looks better than component for me. The difference is in image smoothness, it justs look very analog now and I have to be at less than 1.5X for screendoor to bother me.

Keith.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is an FL-Day filter the same as a FL-D?

I'd hate to assume...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Is an FL-Day filter the same as a FL-D
yes- you need 52 mm

Quote:
What's the cheapest place to get this "transcoder" and what is it exactly called (i.e. full description). I may have to get one.
you can pick up an Audio Authority Component to VGA Transcoder at www.copperbox.com

Cheers

Andrew B.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Sorry for so many questions but how do you attach the filter to the projecotr. Is there a special opening on it.... Dont remember from my demo of the projector.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I think rlindo might be on to something. I'm guessing that if someone could directly compare the imported versus the american AE100 we might find a few differences.

One difference that has been hinted at previously is fan noise. It seems that most of the Canadian & UK users report that their fan noise is barley audible. Frankly, I find my imported AE100 to be distracting.

·
Registered
624 Posts
There is a definite difference with PQ on the AE100 using Component compared to VGA. I tested this by simply connecing a BNC cable with BNC to RCA adapters and then switching my iScan to output in Component. IMO, the picture is unwatchable. Tons of aliasing. Switching the iScan back to VGA and using the VGA input is Leaps and Bounds better than Component.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
Sorry for so many questions but how do you attach the filter to the projecotr. Is there a special opening on it.... Dont remember from my demo of the projector.
The 52mm lens just sits inside the front lens of the AE100. Don't tip the projector forward or the lens falls out.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mancubus
There is a definite difference with PQ on the AE100 using Component compared to VGA. I tested this by simply connecing a BNC cable with BNC to RCA adapters and then switching my iScan to output in Component. IMO, the picture is unwatchable. Tons of aliasing. Switching the iScan back to VGA and using the VGA input is Leaps and Bounds better than Component.
Comparing 480i component to VGA there is a huge difference. Even 480i component to 480P component there is a difference.

The AE100's inputs in increasing PQ order:

- Composite

- S-Video

- Component interlaced (480i)

- Component Progressive (480P)

- VGA input with 480i+iScan or 480P+Transcoder

- HTPC

Depending on each viewers sophistication and viewing experience, each jump may or may not produce a noticable difference, esp. if one does not know what to look for.

I've tested 480P component vs 480P+Transcoder VGA back to back. (The AA transcoder makes it easy to do this comparison with 1 button) The differences were easily noticable if you know where to look and what to watch for.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PPatla
Is an FL-Day filter the same as a FL-D?

I'd hate to assume...
Same thing.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Jpinto,

What do you do when watching non-anamorphic DVD's with the RP-56?

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.