AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

i was wondering if any of you can suggest me investing on something that would help me improve the sound quality of my following exisiting setup :

- ONKYO TX-NR5008 (Audyssey DSX properly configured for 9.1)

- FOCAL JMLABS Speakers (L,R,C,FHL,FHR,FWR,FWL,SR,SL - 9 speakers)

- JAMO 650 SUB (have to get rid of this! suggestions for a better or "top of

the line" subwoofer please)

- Room acoustics are proprely in place and walls are treated

The reason i am asking is that I have seen people here using all sorts of audio equipment of which i have never heard before in my life such as Emotiva products,MonoBlocks etc, Grade "A" power amps etc. and i would really love to learn more about "audiophilic" technologies and trends.

I mostly watch movies and play games and i never really use any other audio listening mode than AUDYSSEY DSX (simply cant live without it!) , for music i use ALL CH STEREO with DYNAMIC EQ and DYNAMIC VOL set to ON.

So any suggestions, wheteher it would be from changing my existing A/V reciever and speakers all together to investing another $2000-$9000 are welcome

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

As for Subwoofers, SVS has a really nice sale going on with their SB-12 Subwoofer. It is I believe $150 Dollars off and even includes Free Shipping.

Focal stretches a pretty large lineup from over $150,000.00 a pair to bundled 5.1 Packages in a Box so knowing which Focals you are using would be greatly helpful.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey audiodork,

Iam using the following speakers:

L+R = Chorus 826v

C = Chorus CC800V

FHL+FHR,FWL+FWR= Chorus 806V

SR+SL=Chorus SR800V

a $150 sub?? Seriously?? How does it compare to the more expensive 12" ones from B&W,REL and Klipsch??

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It is 150 Dollars off. Not 150 Dollars... Multiply the number you are thinking I said by 4 and you got the correct amount. It is usually $749

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
By the way, don't know if you caught the recent review of the Onkyo TX NR609 on hometheatermag, but it tested higher output (5ch) than the TX NR5008 in academic bench power tests:

Onkyo TX NR609:

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1% distortion at 81.0 watts

1% distortion at 95.1 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1% distortion at 77.7 watts

1% distortion at 88.9 watts
http://www.hometheater.com/content/o...-labs-measures

For reference - here's what the Onkyo TX NR5008 puts out:

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1% distortion at 79.1 watts

1% distortion at 95.5 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1% distortion at 78.7 watts

1% distortion at 94.6 watts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

The DTC-50.2 also had a better Bench Test. However, it defies all logic that either are more powerful when looking at the Amperage Ratings. Moreover, the 5008 has 4 Power Transformers with the main being a Toroidal Transformer.

For whatever reason, 9 Channel AVR just do not seem to Bench Test as well as 7 Channel AVR's. In the 5008 Review, the Reviewer said it was the best sounding AVR he had ever heard and actually even preferred it to his ATI Amplifier.

I am not sure about all of that and have not used the Amplification in an AVR for around a decade, but I again cannot fathom that a 609 or 50.2 is more powerful than the Ultra2 Certified 5008.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustkill123 /forum/post/20807719

, for music i use ALL CH STEREO with DYNAMIC EQ and DYNAMIC VOL set to ON.

In my personal experience music sounds terrible with Dynamic Volume on. It kills all the dynamics and makes music sound boring. I would turn it off. Also 2 channel stereo can do a lot better for music than all channel. If you want surround I would use a Dolby or Neo format because all channel stereo just smears everything throughout the room. The soundstage that 2 channel music can create can be fantastic with a properly setup system.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20808937

Hello,

The DTC-50.2 also had a better Bench Test. However, it defies all logic that either are more powerful when looking at the Amperage Ratings. Moreover, the 5008 has 4 Power Transformers with the main being a Toroidal Transformer.

For whatever reason, 9 Channel AVR just do not seem to Bench Test as well as 7 Channel AVR's. In the 5008 Review, the Reviewer said it was the best sounding AVR he had ever heard and actually even preferred it to his ATI Amplifier.

I am not sure about all of that and have not used the Amplification in an AVR for around a decade, but I again cannot fathom that a 609 or 50.2 is more powerful than the Ultra2 Certified 5008.

Cheers,

AD

I have a hard time believing the 5008 is that far off its rated output. These all channel driven tests are not realistic. I believe the testing methods are tripping the current limiting.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Indeed. They do not even disclose whether they use Regulated Power Supplies, etc. Not for a second do I believe that the 609 or 50.2 is more or close to as powerful as the 5008.

I realize many folks who are not fans of Onkyo will use this to show the 5008 is lacking power, but THX Ultra2 Plus is not an easy criteria to meet. The thing weighs almost 60 Pounds out of the Box and it is not like they are putting Ballast in there to make it weigh more.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
744 Posts
First place I'd try to improve would be your sources (inputs)...what you put in has a HUGE impact on what comes out!

Personally for music I use stereo exclusively unless it something that has been mixed for surround. Using the various simulated surround "effects" detract and alter the original sounds as recorded. It will take you some getting use to stereo but with a well set up system you will be surprised how natural/realistic it sounds.

With your budget you owe it to your self to upgrade you receiver. There are many high end brands that will improve your overall sound. If your room is large think about 2 subs.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20809439

Hello,

Indeed. They do not even disclose whether they use Regulated Power Supplies, etc. Not for a second do I believe that the 609 or 50.2 is more or close to as powerful as the 5008.

I realize many folks who are not fans of Onkyo will use this to show the 5008 is lacking power, but THX Ultra2 Plus is not an easy criteria to meet. The thing weighs almost 60 Pounds out of the Box and it is not like they are putting Ballast in there to make it weigh more.

Cheers,

AD

I remember reading that one of the first 9ch onkyo avrs - maybe 1007 - had a regulated power supply that had governing kicked in when driven with that many channels.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow..so many replies!

@vzphoneman and @mjpearce023: Thanks for the tip! i will try turning off dynamic VOL and set it to Stereo or 'PURE AUDIO' when listening to Music.

As far as upgrading the 5008 is concrened, I am afraid I wont be able to anytime soon but i Do want to put in a few other things an additional sub for example.

@Audiodork , those SVS subs look bada$$ ! which one do you think i should go for as the ULTRA seems to be quite complicated and not sure if it would be of any use as AUDYSSEY recommends to switch off everything (every little filter/switch) the sub has.

I was advised by someone that using the following EMOTIVA Amps with my 5008 would definitely make a difference...

XPA 5 : for Center,Left,Right,Front Wide Right and Front Left

Another XPA 5 : for Front High Right, Front High Left, Surround Left, Surround Right

XPA-1 : For Sub

What do you guys think? would the above would make any difference for the better with the 5008?

Room size is: 12x16

Speakers :

L+R = Chorus 826v

C = Chorus CC800V

SR+SL=Chorus SR800V

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
You could redirect the front channels to separate power amps like the Emotiva UPA-1 or -2 which are a steal for the money. Usually the most audible effect can be had with speaker changes or optimizing your room acoustics (placement of speakers and subs) plus some acoustic treatment, which might do a lot.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustkill123 /forum/post/20879538

XPA 5 : for Center,Left,Right,Front Wide Right and Front Left

Another XPA 5 : for Front High Right, Front High Left, Surround Left, Surround Right

XPA-1 : For Sub

What do you guys think? would the above would make any difference for the better with the 5008?

Room size is: 12x16

Speakers :

L+R = Chorus 826v

C = Chorus CC800V

SR+SL=Chorus SR800V

In a room that size you may not get any benefit from adding an Amp. 2 XPA 5s are a complete waist of money for you. 1 XPA 3 for the fronts and center might be ok but I wouldn't add any more than that. 92 db 8 ohm speakers in a small room that are crossed over 2 a subwoofer will not need a bunch of power. The subwoofers would make a much bigger difference than amps. 2 Sb13 plus would shake your whole room.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb13plus.cfm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.