Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To forum participants:

I cannot spend the time on this forum that many other members seem to have. I have cruised through and offered some suggestions to improve DTV reception problems.

Here are a few useful things to know if you are having DTV reception problems:

Your set-top box is capable of equalizing a fair amount of multipath, provided it gets enough signal to start with. If at your location the VHF or UHF DTV station is quite weak and suffers from multipath, the tuner will have a tough time of it.

Multipath can cause moderate to deep notching of an 8VSB signal. If that notching drops below the receiver's detection threshold, the data in the signal will be lost and no reception will occur.

I have suggested two things to participants: Use a more efficient antenna, and add a preamp to boost signals where warranted. If you live in an area where the majority of DTV signals are on UHF, don't use a combo antenna - go with a UHF-only design.

Most combo antennas are not very efficient at UHF frequencies. This includes many of those fancy designs that look cool.

Antennas that work well include the Silver sensor (indoor only), Channel Master 3021, 3022, 3023, and 3028, and even their SMARtenna (a disk shape). The STEALTHtenna isn't too bad for VHF, but needs more gain at UHF frequencies.

I have been able to receive 8VSB DTV in basements, in canyons, over a 70 mile path, in cities and countryside, by using good engineering practice and making improvements to the system.

There are many useful articles at www.projectorexpert.com that will be of help to you in solving your reception problems. It's not always the set-top box!

Good luck!

KC

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin Colorspace:
There are many useful articles at ProjectorExpert that will be of help to you in solving your reception problems. It's not always the set-top box!
KC, very good advice. More good info can be found at KeohiHDTV . Do you know of a good Q&A for H/DTV reception on any site?

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great sites! Thanks for the reply to my earlier post.

Dean

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FJGTV:
I also need to get the rest of my non DTV local stations. Should i run separate UHF and VHF antennas? Is this the best set-up for an HD situation? Is this process of running the 2 antennas easy?
Frank, perhaps we should check out each other's threads.....it seems we're both asking the same questions!

(See my post titled "Dish6000 & dual OTA antenna feeds?"

[This message has been edited by mds54 (edited 04-12-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.