AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live within about 5 miles from most broadcast towers here in Seattle. One can clearly see them on Queen Anne and First Hill from my condominium building and I'm high enough up that trees and other buildings really aren't a problem.

However my apartment faces north, while broadcasts come form the south. Also, there is no way for me to put an antenna outside or on the roof. This makes me a less than ideal candidate for signal reception, but living in an apartment shouldn't rule me out automatically from watching digital TV.

Right now I have a Samsung decoder and Silver Sensor and can get a two or three channels to come in strongly. The NBC and CBS stations can come in if I play with the antenna, but often the audio cuts out briefly here making them just below watchable. All the digital channels I know of the STB can at least "find" but can never consistently present a picture.

Is there anything that can be done to get reliable HDTV reception with indoor equipment?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
In my previous apartment, I was in a similar situation (about 7 miles from the towers, pretty high up, but on the wrong side of my building). I had pretty good luck with the Zenith Silver Sensor and Zenith HDV420 STB. I put the antenna in the window, and was able to pick up a reflection off the adjacent building that gave me a pretty good signal (infrequent dropouts) on most channels.

Moving the antenna near the window made a big, big difference. Also, I removed the metal screens from the window, which helped a lot as well.

Get a long cable for the antenna and try a lot of different locations if that doesn't work. You may need to find a "sweet spot."

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
What model Samsung STB? I know the SIR-T150 gets audio dropouts with some stations depending on the firmware version. I can use v1.8 firmware and get audio dropouts on the local NBC station, but when I use v2.0 firmware they go away. Unfortunately v2.0 is incompatible with the local WB station - it will reset about once every 1-2 minutes only on that station, with v1.8 firmware its OK. Samsung seems to have problems with some stations' bitstreams, the station is probably doing something wrong but it works with most of the STBs so they don't fix it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.