AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm playing around with my new InFocus X1, after previously owning an NEC LT150 and a bunch of other DLP projectors. My pet desire in a DLP is better blacks, and while the X1 is pretty good, I'd like to make it even better.

So does anyone have any tips or tricks or mods to improve the overall black level? I'm currently experimenting with screen colours.

Sorry if this has been duscussed before, but the search system here isn't the best for X1 owners.

Steve

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I'm curious - how would you say the black levels and brightness of the X1 compare to the LT150?

Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
KBK would be the one to ask although I don't think he will be giving out the secrets to his modified X1/Goo 0.5. It sounds like he has taken the X1 a presentation/home theatre projector and made it more of just a home theatre projector. I think somehow he has blacked out the white segment along with other major modifications.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Saw the X1 at the Roseville meet yesterday and Ken's .5 Goo version of it. That'll solve the black level if you haven't bought yet. I expect the X1 will be the "talk" of the AVS at the low end. Compared to the AE100 that was raved about here on the board, the X1 is far superior and Ken improved upon it's picture quality and black levels. Very nice budget setup would be a .5 with a crt white Goo screen DIY screen 70-maybe 80" wide.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Ken is selling the X1 modded as a Goo .5. Much improved contrast and black levels at the expense of brightness so smaller screen is better (and for better for the limited resolution, even for the stock X1) if picture quality is of importance. As for exact mods, he's not saying as he is not telling his secrets as he'll be selling this Goo .5 projector.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's difficult to say because I sold the LT150 a little while ago, but the X1 seems to have slightly better black levels and similar brightness. The colours also seem a little better, but it is reasonably close.

It is obviously much better when not using an external scaler.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.