AVS Forum banner

3421 - 3440 of 9600 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
New test build:

http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure19.zip

Didn't really want to do a new test build, but the previous one still didn't always accept the measurement files, this one hopefully will.

I did change the file format one more time, so you'll have to throw away your old measurement files and redo them - sorry!
No problem at all :). I don't know what you did/changed, but is seems a lot of faster on my machine. It looks like the code is not using AVX instructions as my 8700k flies at 5Ghz, where before it was running at 4.8Ghz (due to AVX).
I also upgrade LAV to 0.73.1 from 0.72.0 (maybe that's the reason). My GTX1070 is used at about ~35% (as per MSI's Afterburner) and it is not as heavy on CPU usage.

However I think there is a problem with measuring files using DXVA2 (copyback), at least on my setup the cmd window stays at 0% and it doesn't move. I have to use D3D11 in order to use it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
With Measure19 using D3D11 native is now generating a working file, thanks for the quick fix.
A two hour UHD blu-ray remux takes my 4770k + 1050Ti about 14 minutes, ~12% cpu usage, ~54% gpu usage, ~98% video engine load.

One question, does ticking/unticking "limit measurements to mastering monitor peak luminance" affect the generated measurements file?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Some odd behaviour here.

Only tested 2 movies, Ant Man and the Wasp and Age of Ultron.

Using the latest build, 19, and native D3D11 with the latest lav filters. The measurements files are created fine. They appear to be loaded by madvr fine too upon playback in MPC-HT using both internal and external filters.

However with Age of Ultron if I play the movie in either potplayer or mpc-be using their INTERNAL filters but obviously with madvr as the renderer, madvr won't load the measurements file and it gets re-written after the player is closed. Ant man and the wasp works fine in all three players with both internal and external filters.

I might very well have something configured wrong and it's my fault. I'm really one of the less experienced people here. But I though I'd better bring it up before files start getting re-written :)

I'm off to work but I've queued up a bunch of rips to test after I'm back.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
General question:

Do you guys like the approach of capturing and storing measurement data during playback in your media player? Or do you think the command line tool makes this superfluous? I was planning to add an option to enable/disable that, but I would love not to have to add an option. So if say it's superfluous, I'm happy enough to simply disable it and require you to run the command line tool instead.
I'm happy enough to run the utility, but, do you have plans to make it work for a 64 bit chain? I don't like having 32 bit stuff installed if I can avoid it. If the answer is no, that's fine. Just thought I'd ask.

Reactions: stevenjw

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It seems more logical to create them in the same folder as the movie IMO (hidden or not).

But the most important for me is having the choice not to create them every time I play a movie (even if I have to put a "NotSaveMeasurements" file into madVR's folder).

·
Premium Member
9,915 Posts
I'm happy enough to run the utility, but, do you have plans to make it work for a 64 bit chain? I don't like having 32 bit stuff installed if I can avoid it. If the answer is no, that's fine. Just thought I'd ask.
It works fine for a 64bits chain. LAV installs both 64bits and 32bits versions. The 64bits one is used for playback, the 32bits one is used by the utility.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
It works fine for a 64bits chain. LAV installs both 64bits and 32bits versions. The 64bits one is used for playback, the 32bits one is used by the utility.
I don't use the LAV installer to install LAV. I use JRiver MC which downloads the 64 bit install to its plugins dir where I manually register it. So saying "it works fine for a 64 bit chain" is not accurate if you still need the 32 bit filters installed.

·
Premium Member
9,915 Posts
Okay, I've done more tests now that the new build works here (thanks Madshi!) :).

First, the most important: as expected, the Ryan Masciola disc has content up to 10,000nits, yet was graded on a 1,000nits monitor. So if you cap to MaxDLL, the patterns become useless as you can't see any content above 1,000nits. Just this example should justify not to cap blindly at 1,000nits. See attached screenshots to illustrate this.

Now the question of whether it could be useful, in some cases, remains, but for projectors I think it's a moot question.

I use 600nits peak target at most (for titles with a MaxCLL above 4,000nits), which means that I hard clip between 4,000 and 5,000nits. There is no way I'm going to use a target peak higher than that, so showing above 4,000nits is moot for me and all those that select a lower target peak (I guess that means 99% of you guys).

I did try to look at a few titles, including Mad Max, with my normal 600nits target, on scenes reporting above 4,000nits, and I couldn't see any difference. None of these scenes looked like MadVR was clipping any relevant/important detail. Similarly, moving to clipping didn't bring any significant contrast improvement. So if there wasn't the worry of discs such as the Masciola's patterns, I'd really be happy to clip at 4,000nits, but given that we have no way to know if the content above maxDL is meant to be seen (RM patterns) or not, and given that there is no significant loss of contrast for 4,000nits titles when resolving up to measured MaxCLL vs MaxDL, I would definitely vote for not clipping to MaxDL.

I also tested Hunger Games - Catching Fire, which is one of the handful of titles that have content above MaxDL where MaxDL is below 4,000nits (1,000nits in that case). The scene where content hits 1211 is at 00:31:04 (frame 44669, thanks Madshi for providing the info). It's a fireworks, and in the last split second before the cut, the fireworks go briefly above MaxDL. In that case as well, showing or not showing makes zero difference. No loss of contrast, no gain in detail. But as there could be situations where we could see the detail, and as capping at MaxDL doesn't bring anything, that simply confirms that we should show everything, up to measured MaxCLL.

If that wasn't enough, there seems to be some instability with some titles when MadVR defaults to MaxDL. I need to do more tests to try to isolate the issue, but for example Hunger Games - Catching Fire froze the first time I tried to play it when it was capped by default at 1,000nits.

It also looked like sometimes playing a file with D3D11 Copyback when it was measured with the utility using D3D11 native cause a crash or a black screen if using the limiter. I had the black screen with the Masciola pattern when MadVR was capping to 1000nits by default.

I'm going to disable the limiter everywhere (as I'm not going to use it), and I'll see if I still have stability issues. My config was rock stable until the measurements, so I know that this is cause by the recent test builds.

Finally, a few updated MaxCLL following measurements. It looks like MaxCLL is rarely accurate, even if it's usually in the ballpark (except for the RM patterns, but that's an extreme case):

MaxCLL Measured vs MaxCLL Metadata:
Batman V superman UK: 4,654 instead of 4,000
Ex Machina US: 1,392 vs 1,346
Ghostbusters UK: 10,000 vs 9,633
Ghostbusters 2016 UK: 5,664 vs 10,000
Goodfellas UK: 311 vs 247 (UB900/Vertex) or 500 (MadVR), still no idea why the discrepancy
Life of Pi US: 1,026 vs 1,000 (MadVR reports a 1100 MaxDL that the UB900/Vertex don't see, again no idea why the difference)
Mad Max - Fury Road: 10,000 vs 9,919
Pacific Rim: 4,000 vs 2,465
The hunger Games - Catching Fire UK: 1,211 vs 1,000
The Revenant US: 676 vs 0

Very happy with the measurements, it really helps selecting the correct profile until we sort out the 0-100nits range and hopefully don't need the profiles anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
However I think there is a problem with measuring files using DXVA2 (copyback), at least on my setup the cmd window stays at 0% and it doesn't move.
Works for me. Can you provide a debug log?

One question, does ticking/unticking "limit measurements to mastering monitor peak luminance" affect the generated measurements file?
No.

However with Age of Ultron if I play the movie in either potplayer or mpc-be using their INTERNAL filters but obviously with madvr as the renderer, madvr won't load the measurements file and it gets re-written after the player is closed.
And the re-written file has the same path and file name? Can I have a debug log from this situation? Important: Please first create a new measurement file by using madMeasureHDR.exe. Only afterwards enable the debug mode. Then start playback, and after 2 seconds of playback, stop the media player immediately. Thanks.

I'm happy enough to run the utility, but, do you have plans to make it work for a 64 bit chain?
No, I don't see any benefit to that atm.

I don't use the LAV installer to install LAV. I use JRiver MC which downloads the 64 bit install to its plugins dir where I manually register it.
I'm not sure but I don't think MC even full "installs"/registers LAV in that folder. So madMeasureHDR.exe wouldn't find it anyway, even if there were a 64bit version. LAV needs to be properly installed/registered for madMeasureHDR.exe to find it.

given that we have no way to know if the content above maxDL is meant to be seen (RM patterns) or not, and given that there is no significant loss of contrast for 4,000nits titles when resolving up to measured MaxCLL vs MaxDL, I would definitely vote for not clipping to MaxDL.

I also tested Hunger Games - Catching Fire [..] that simply confirms that we should show everything, up to measured MaxCLL.
Cool, thanks.

Finally, a few updated MaxCLL following measurements. It looks like MaxCLL is rarely accurate, even if it's usually in the ballpark (except for the RM patterns, but that's an extreme case)
FWIW, madVR does some "tricks" with the measurements, so the exact numbers will not be 100% technically accurate. The purpose of madVR's measurements is not to fill a database, or else I would make the measurements perfectly accurate. But the purpose is to produce the best image quality. As such I'm giving up a tiny bit of accuracy for better image quality. Sounds weird, I know. But you can trust me there. Also, the way I'm doing the measurements is much faster than a perfectly accurate measurement would be.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
No, I don't see any benefit to that atm.
That's fine. I'll deal with it.

I'm not sure but I don't think MC even full "installs"/registers LAV in that folder. So madMeasureHDR.exe wouldn't find it anyway, even if there were a 64bit version. LAV needs to be properly installed/registered for madMeasureHDR.exe to find it.
It doesn't, but, because I configure LAV manually in MC anyway, I register it manually once MC downloads it so it'd be found by anything on my system. In any case, you have no plans to make a 64 bit version available so I will figure out a solution. Thanks.

Reactions: stevenjw

·
Premium Member
9,915 Posts
I don't use the LAV installer to install LAV. I use JRiver MC which downloads the 64 bit install to its plugins dir where I manually register it. So saying "it works fine for a 64 bit chain" is not accurate if you still need the 32 bit filters installed.
It doesn't, but, because I configure LAV manually in MC anyway, I register it manually once MC downloads it so it'd be found by anything on my system. In any case, you have no plans to make a 64 bit version available so I will figure out a solution. Thanks.
I'm not 100% sure, but if you install LAV and MadVR before installing jRiver, I think it uses the already installed/registered versions. At least it's the case for MadVR, even when using Red October HQ.

So it might be worth uninstalling Jriver, installing the standard 32bits+64bits LAV and MadVR, and re-installing jRiver after that.

If you tell me the path for the plug-ins (I don't have the time to look for them), I can check and see if they are installed or not. I had definitely LAV and MadVR already installed when I re-installed jRiver the last time. I don't use it regularly though, I prefer using MyMovies (with MCD on top of Windows 10) and MPC-BE+LAV+MadVR.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but if you install LAV and MadVR before installing jRiver, I think it uses the already installed/registered versions. At least it's the case for MadVR, even when using Red October HQ.

So it might be worth uninstalling Jriver, installing the standard 32bits+64bits LAV and MadVR, and re-installing jRiver after that.

If you tell me the path for the plug-ins (I don't have the time to look for them), I can check and see if they are installed or not. I had definitely LAV and MadVR already installed when I re-installed jRiver the last time. I don't use it regularly though, I prefer using MyMovies (with MCD on top of Windows 10) and MPC-BE+LAV+MadVR.
It's in the AppData\roaming\j River\MediaCenter 24\Plugins dir. Not a big deal. I've already written a script to manage it.

I'm looking at Ant-man and the Wasp right now after running the measurement on it. Very very nice!

·
Premium Member
9,915 Posts
Works for me. Can you provide a debug log?
I will if I run into any problems using D3D11 Copyback from measurements generated with D3D11 native, without any MaxDL limiter on, as this will be my case use. I've spent a lot of time debugging over the last two days, so I'm super late with work. It was worth it, but I need to catch up :).

FWIW, madVR does some "tricks" with the measurements, so the exact numbers will not be 100% technically accurate. The purpose of madVR's measurements is not to fill a database, or else I would make the measurements perfectly accurate. But the purpose is to produce the best image quality. As such I'm giving up a tiny bit of accuracy for better image quality. Sounds weird, I know. But you can trust me there. Also, the way I'm doing the measurements is much faster than a perfectly accurate measurement would be.
Makes sense, I was wondering if some of the small differences were due to that or not. Still, it's super useful to populate MaxCLL when the metadata returns zero or nothing. Thanks again for this very significant improvement/feature!

·
Premium Member
9,915 Posts
It's in the AppData\roaming\j River\MediaCenter 24\Plugins dir. Not a big deal. I've already written a script to manage it.

I'm looking at Ant-man and the Wasp right now after running the measurement on it. Very very nice!
Weirdly LAV64 and MadVR are in there, but the settings and builds used for both are those I set using the standard LAV and MadVR installs in the standard folders (Program files). So not sure if the jRiver plugins are ever used, or if it works because all my settings are in registry (I don't use a .bin file for my settings in the MadVR folder because I like to replace all the files with a new build).

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Weirdly LAV64 and MadVR are in there, but the settings and builds used for both are those I set using the standard LAV and MadVR installs in the standard folders (Program files). So not sure if the jRiver plugins are ever used, or if it works because all my settings are in registry (I don't use a .bin file for my settings in the MadVR folder because I like to replace all the files with a new build).
AFAIK MC loads the private copies regardless of what's installed. The settings, yup, those are likely shared. Personally I just drop new versions over the MC private copies cause MC is all I use for a player. In any case, like I said I scripted a solution and am able to run the measurements util and keep my system 64 bit only.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
It uses the version in that named directory (so you can override it by putting a newer version in there) as opposed to any system installation and it will, in the latest versions, blow away all stored config (registry and settings.bin) if you select one of the madvr presets in the Jriver config dialog. If you leave that alone then you can configure madvr as normal and it won't touch it (so it will share config if you have some other version installed).

·
Premium Member
9,915 Posts
It uses the version in that named directory (so you can override it by putting a newer version in there) as opposed to any system installation and it will, in the latest versions, blow away all stored config (registry and settings.bin) if you select one of the madvr presets in the Jriver config dialog. If you leave that alone then you can configure madvr as normal and it won't touch it (so it will share config if you have some other version installed).
Thanks, that explains why it works the way it works here. I did select Red October HQ in jRiver settings. Is that still safe to do, or will it wipe my settings if I select this with a newer version?

Sorry for the brief off topic, but it looks like a few of us might be interested in this short clarification.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Thanks, that explains why it works the way it works here. I did select Red October HQ in jRiver settings. Is that still safe to do, or will it wipe my settings if I select this with a newer versions?

Sorry for the off topic, but it looks like a few of us might be interested in this short clarification.
it asks for confirmation before wiping the settings and this happens if you change the quality profile (available in 24.0.53+)

i.e. this option triggers the reset (and asks you to confirm), flipping between standard and HQ (i.e. madvr) does not trigger this and preserves settings (EDIT: @Manni01 I tested to verify this behaviour)

jr_madvr.png

3421 - 3440 of 9600 Posts