AVS Forum banner

3441 - 3460 of 9557 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,441
Clipping / limit ON / limit OFF

Preferred: OFF
The chess demo is a good exemple to see the effect of clipping at the mastering luminance.

Mastering 1000nits

Measurement up to 10000nits!!
Switching on and off clips at 1000nits or tone map till 10000nits.

I used 200 target nits.

We can see a lot of difference for the woman at the beginning of demo with the crown and collar.

Also on the red bull demo: exact same scenario. We can also notice difference when looking at the intro scene with the kid in the street.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The chess demo is a good exemple to see the effect of clipping at the mastering luminance.

Mastering 1000nits

Measurement up to 10000nits!!
Switching on and off clips at 1000nits or tone map till 10000nits.

I used 200 target nits.

We can see a lot of difference for the woman at the beginning of demo with the crown and collar.

Also on the red bull demo: exact same scenario. We can also notice difference when looking at the intro scene with the kid in the street.

limit ON / limit OFF

I don't need to test more, this is awful.

·
Registered
787 Posts
To speed things up to create measurement files for your library you can try using this one liner on your windows box.

I've tested this on my win10 1809 build and it seems to be working fine. However please do some testing before running this on your precious movie library.
"forfiles" command /s option allows to search into subdirectories recursively, so if you point it to the your movie folder it will do all the movies in each separate folder (i.e. Manni01) or it will do it for master/single folder (i.e. Javs).

To use it open a comand prompt ("cmd") and paste below this into it:

forfiles /p LIBRARY_FOLDER_TO_SCAN /s /m *.EXTENSION /c "cmd /c WHERE_YOUR_madMeasureHDR.exe_IS @fil e"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,902 Posts
To speed things up to create measurement files for your library you can try using this one liner on your windows box.

I've tested this on my win10 1809 build and it seems to be working fine. However please do some testing before running this on your precious movie library.
"forfiles" command /s option allows to search into subdirectories recursively, so if you point it to the your movie folder it will do all the movies in each separate folder (i.e. Manni01) or it will do it for master/single folder (i.e. Javs).

To use it open a comand prompt ("cmd") and paste below this into it:

forfiles /p LIBRARY_FOLDER_TO_SCAN /s /m *.EXTENSION /c "cmd /c WHERE_YOUR_madMeasureHDR.exe_IS @file"

For example in d:\test folder there are two folders with Test A.ts and Test B.ts you would do this. (for usual movies please don't forget to change *.ts to *.mkv).

forfiles /p d:\test /s /m *.ts /c "cmd /c C:\apps\madVR\madMeasureHDR.exe @file"

Measuring video file "Test A.ts"...
Done.
Measuring video file "Test B.ts"...
Done.

Please let me know if you see any errors :eek: with it.

for more on forfiles see MS documentation.

BTW... is there a reason why some movies are showing maxCLL/FALL as 0/0nits in OSD after playing them with created measurement file? Apologies in advance if this was already asked before. :eek:;)
Thanks, will give this a try. [EDIT: I did, the command doesn't seem to take a mapped network drive as a source folder, so unfortunately doesn't work for me.]

MaxCLL / MaxFALL is the actual metadata of the content. That doesn't change after the measurements, same as Max/Min brightness. What will change is the HDR xxx nits a few lines above, that's the measure HDRVideoPeak, so the "actual" MaxCLL after measurements. You should also see, if the measurements are taken into account, a line saying "Measured frame x nits, scene y nits, movie z nits" that shows the brightness peak for the current frame, scene and movie. If MadVR doesn show this, it means the measurements file is incomplete or invalid.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks, will give this a try.

MaxCLL / MaxFALL is the actual metadata of the content. That doesn't change after the measurements, same as Max/Min brightness. What will change is the HDR xxx nits a few lines above, that's the measure HDRVideoPeak, so the "actual" MaxCLL after measurements. You should also see, if the measurements are taken into account, a line saying "Measured frame x nits, scene y nits, movie z nits" that shows the brightness peak for the current frame, scene and movie. If MadVR doesn show this, it means the measurements file is incomplete or invalid.

Thanks Manni I see all of that, so I should be good. BTW... are you still using profiles for different HDR contents (below 1000nits, below 4000nits and over 4000nits) with different target peak nits? I've been away for a week or so and you guys are so much ahead ... LOL :D

·
Premium Member
9,902 Posts
Thanks Manni I see all of that, so I should be good. BTW... are you still using profiles for different HDR contents (below 1000nits, below 4000nits and over 4000nits) with different target peak nits? I've been away for a week or so and you guys are so much ahead ... LOL :D
Yes I do, I plan to revise my algo now that we have actual measured nits.

I tried your command, doesn't seem to work with network shares / mapped drives / UNC paths, so doesn't work for me. Should work for those who store their files locally though. Thanks for forfiles, that's a very useful DOS command that I didn't know.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yes I do, I plan to revise my algo now that we have actual measured nits.

I tried your command, doesn't seem to work with network shares / mapped drives / UNC paths, so doesn't work for me. Should work for those who store their files locally though. Thanks for forfiles, that's a very useful DOS command that I didn't know.

I'm sorry about that :-(... Yes I do this on my gaming/server PC where I keep all my movie.

It could be doable, but it might require some tinkering if you have time:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7503491/forfiles-with-unc-path

Please share with us your algos when you get a chance to tweak them :). I used yours and Javs to build my. I believe your JVC projector/screen gives you about 100nits... My JVC RS420 / screen gives me about 50nits (on a low bulb).

·
Premium Member
9,902 Posts
I'm sorry about that :-(... Yes I do this on my gaming/server PC where I keep all my movie.

It could be doable, but it might require some tinkering if you have time:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7503491/forfiles-with-unc-path
Thanks, that works great :)

I created a batch file and used "net use" to assign a drive letter to my network share. Works perfectly and saves a lot of time! I only have to change the network share and folder name in the batch file to select another folder to measure. @madshi: It would be great if MadMeasureHDR could skip a file when a completed measurements file is already present, that way we could run the batch on the same folder in different sessions until the whole folder is measured.

I attach a zip containing my batch file with minimal documentation for those who might be interested. [EDIT 25/10/18: modified to handle share folders with spaces]

Note that there is a display bug after the first file is processed, with a percentage sign moving across the screen. That doesn't seem to impact the results.

Only download & use if you're confident with DOS commands, it will need to be edited (right click / open with / notepad) and adapted to your environment before it can run successfully...

Don't blame me if you or this batch file does something wrong to your data...

[EDIT 25-10-18: I deleted the ZIp as I posted a better solution here following SamuriHL's better alternative method.]

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks, that works great :)

I created a batch file and used "net use" to assign a drive letter to my network share. Works perfectly and saves a lot of time! I only have to change the network share and folder name in the batch file to select another folder to measure. @madshi : It would be great if MadMeasureHDR could skip a file if a completed measurements file is already present, that way we could run the batch on the same folder in different sessions until the whole folder is measured.

I attach a zip containing my batch file with minimal documentation for those who might be interested.

Only download & use if you're confident with DOS commands, it will need to be edited (right click / open with / notepad) and adapted to your environment before it can run successfully...

Don't blame me if you or this batch file does something wrong to your data...

That's great now we can do both local/network shares !!! I bet @madshi will change his measurement file algo on us and we'll have to redo all of them :D

·
Registered
770 Posts
So far I wasn’t able to make a measurement file. Either measurement does not start or crash (EAccessViolation). I’m not in a hurry though. I’m running latest LAV filters but did not toggle too much with settings in order to debug.

As for measurement files, I’m not a fan of hidden files. I would prefer to have them either in the same folder as movie files or in a dedicated folder at the root of the madVR folder.

·
Premium Member
9,902 Posts
I've replaced the zip in my post above with a version that handles share names containing spaces (you only need to add quotes around the share name in the net use command line). Note that there is a display bug after the first file that moves the percentage sign accross the screen, but that doesn't seem to cause any problem with the results, at least here.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Do you guys have increasing RAM consumption when measuring a full movie? I've received a crash log which indicates that madMeasureHDR.exe was consuming about 1.5GB of RAM (which is pretty much the max possible for a 32bit application). Do you have similar problems?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Do you guys have increasing RAM consumption when measuring a full movie? I've received a crash log which indicates that madMeasureHDR.exe was consuming about 1.5GB of RAM (which is pretty much the max possible for a 32bit application). Do you have similar problems?

It does consume that much of RAM on my system. But it does not crash. It just doesn’t start ;-) There might be an issue though.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Are you sure you're on Measure19 build? Have you tried different decoder combinations (e.g. D3D11 native vs copyback vs DXVA native vs copyback)?

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Do those 500MB change during measurement? E.g. is it already 500MB at the start of measurement and stays that way until the end? Or does it grow over time?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Pretty much from the start, it doesnt grow. Just some fluctuations. I just measured a whole movie and ram usage was always between 350 and 500 MB with D3D11 native.

3441 - 3460 of 9557 Posts