AVS Forum banner

8741 - 8760 of 9557 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone explain the Options "Compromise in HDR tone & gamut mapping accurracy" and "compromize on HDR luminance channel quality" in the Tab "Trade quality for performance" and their influence on HSTM to me? Both options have a significant influence on the render times and bring my card (rtx2070) to its limit.

On the one hand i have read, that these options should be the first to deactivate in case of performance problems on the other hand i found posts which suggest that disabling these options more or less disable HSTM.

Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Can anyone explain the Options "Compromise in HDR tone & gamut mapping accurracy" and "compromize on HDR luminance channel quality" in the Tab "Trade quality for performance" and their influence on HSTM to me? Both options have a significant influence on the render times and bring my card (rtx2070) to its limit.

On the one hand i have read, that these options should be the first to deactivate in case of performance problems on the other hand i found posts which suggest that disabling these options more or less disable HSTM.

Thank you very much!
Great question. I also have to have at least one of these checked and don't know exactly what they do (and which is the better one to suffer with).

·
Registered
822 Posts
Can anyone explain the Options "Compromise in HDR tone & gamut mapping accurracy" and "compromize on HDR luminance channel quality" in the Tab "Trade quality for performance" and their influence on HSTM to me?
- "Compromise in HDR tone & gamut mapping accurracy": don't enable this option, it will result in wrong colors
- "compromize on HDR luminance channel quality": you can enable this one (same as me), it will only (?) affect the precision of the luminance calculation

·
Registered
822 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

Thank you very much!

Interesting that you have 2070 at your limit with HDR.

I have the same card and my render times are around 29ms with all new HDR bells and whistles enabled.

What gives?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts

I have the same card and my render times are around 29ms with all new HDR bells and whistles enabled.

What gives?

But then you're not using dithering at error diffusion - option 1 / 2 (maybe ordered?) or chroma upscaling at NGU high quality. These are IMHO more important than i.e. compromise on hdr luminance channel quality.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts

What gives?

Probably hes using Copy-back mode.

I have a RTX 2060 and have no HDR compromise options enabled and everything runs plenty smooth around the low 30ms range with HSTM on.

This is with D3D11 Native.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Probably hes using Copy-back mode.

I have a RTX 2060 and have no HDR compromise options enabled and everything runs plenty smooth around the low 30ms range with HSTM on.

This is with D3D11 Native.

I have D3D11 copyback as well as I need black bar detection

But really low chroma upscaling (Jinc)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have D3D11 copyback as well as I need black bar detection

But really low chroma upscaling (Jinc)

Ok, understood. This of course explains your low render times :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
But then you're not using dithering at error diffusion - option 1 / 2 (maybe ordered?) or chroma upscaling at NGU high quality. These are IMHO more important than i.e. compromise on hdr luminance channel quality.
these are more or less my other settings (error difussion and chroma upsampling high) and a little bit of sharpeness :)

whre can i switch between Copy-back mode and D3D11 Native and whats the difference between the two?

·
Registered
455 Posts
these are more or less my other settings (error difussion and chroma upsampling high) and a little bit of sharpeness :)

whre can i switch between Copy-back mode and D3D11 Native and whats the difference between the two?

then it's fine. dithering and chroma upsampling are more important picture quality wise than compromise on hdr luminance channel. i have to tick this box as well to stay under 38ms (some buffer to 41ms as every file is different, depending on hdr compression) on my gtx 1080oc.

copy-back needs to be used if you need black-bar detection. if you don't need that just use native, as it's faster a bit.
you can switch between copy-back and native in lav video configuration. if your gfx card is selected it's using copy-back. uf you use Automatic (native) then it's native :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings to home theater enthusiasts!
I apologize in advance for my English. I am new to MadVR customization theme.
Perhaps you have similar components as I have:
Pj: JVC DLA X700R/RS57U + Monoprice Blackbird HDCP 2.2 – 1.4 + Uploaded color profile data profile bt.2020 from
www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550r_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs600_rs500_rs400_uhd.html
Brightness 81 nits - 120 inch diagonal (ProjectorCentral's Estimate)
HTPC: AMD + RTX 2060
PotPlayer + MadVR 113 + LAV Filter

I want to configure two mad s profiles for the best display in 1080p SDR and 4K HDR.
Perhaps someone can share their settings for MadVR (and HSTM) or screenshots.
Do I need to configure anything else in the projector?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all thought i'd join up here as I tried out build 113 here but ran into a big bug.

running Jriver MC26 and build 113

I would try to play movies that are below dvd resolution and for some reason they would just barely start to play then freeze up. Higher res movies were fine oddly. Tried a little troubleshooting on DX9 vs DX11 and overlay/non-overlay but nothing changed and i reverted to official 92.17.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hey all thought i'd join up here as I tried out build 113 here but ran into a big bug.

running Jriver MC26 and build 113

I would try to play movies that are below dvd resolution and for some reason they would just barely start to play then freeze up. Higher res movies were fine oddly. Tried a little troubleshooting on DX9 vs DX11 and overlay/non-overlay but nothing changed and i reverted to official 92.17.

It’s not a bug but a feature .. telling you to upgrade your content to at least DVD quality if not 4K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I realised that Netflix Witcher in HDR looks like hot garbage compared to its SDR counterpart.

Wondering if anyone has similar experiences? Is it a matter of poor HDR implementation? My BluRays tend to do much better

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello everyone,

first of all, congratulations to all the people that, in any way, contributed to the amazing actual results of Madvr and HDR DTM process, amazing job guys, thank you everyone.

Sorry if this has allready been asked but, is there somewhere a simple guideline to follow and, the major parameters to setup in Madvr (last beta) to correctly test the new possibilities ? I know that I have to set my JVC real nits into "real peak nits" but other then that... Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just had the great pleasure of experiencing the Envy being part of the Alcons booth at ISE. We had the VW5000 LUT calibrated and applied the DCI filter, about 100 nits on the 11ft wide screen (the filter takes a lot of light). DreamScreen UltraWeave screen. Still, this is the best I have ever seen the Sony by quite a margin. The way the processor takes care of both dynamics, details and actually also colors is simply breathtaking. Congrats to the madVR gang for developing such a great product!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Just had the great pleasure of experiencing the Envy being part of the Alcons booth at Cedia. We had the VW5000 LUT calibrated and applied the DCI filter, about 100 nits on the 11ft wide screen (the filter takes a lot of light). DreamScreen UltraWeave screen. Still, this is the best I have ever seen the Sony by quite a margin. The way the processor takes care of both dynamics, details and actually also colors is simply breathtaking. Congrats to the madVR gang for developing such a great product!
Thank you so much!! :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just had the great pleasure of experiencing the Envy being part of the Alcons booth at Cedia. We had the VW5000 LUT calibrated and applied the DCI filter, about 100 nits on the 11ft wide screen (the filter takes a lot of light). DreamScreen UltraWeave screen. Still, this is the best I have ever seen the Sony by quite a margin. The way the processor takes care of both dynamics, details and actually also colors is simply breathtaking. Congrats to the madVR gang for developing such a great product!

Today I also had the pleasure of getting two demo's with the Sony 5000. One with the Envy at the Alcons Booth and the other one without the Envy in the Trinnov 15.3.10 demo. There was a clear winner in both image and sound... Obviously that was at the Alcons booth. Too bad the Envy couldn't be demo-ed othar than just be turned on. Now lets get those NDA's lifted so people can start writing real reviews:D

8741 - 8760 of 9557 Posts