AVS Forum banner

9521 - 9540 of 9581 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
It's a generic motorized screen with grey projection area to reduce washed out blacks I was having with a complete white screen.

I do have a smarphone and I've tried some apps to measure lumens but are those reliable?
If you have some app suggestion I can try here.

I was watching Rear Window 4K and the image seemed a little dull. I know my projector can do much more vibrant colors.

To sum it up what I need to do is get a real measure from my screen and increase dynamic target nits for a more vibrant picture?
You can use the calculator, but try to find out what the screen gain is. What is the model exactly?

Using a smartphone app is better than nothing.

Just search for lux meter app.

1 lux = 0.092903 fc.

Measure the lux right in front of the screen, with the phone's screen facing towards the projector, not the screen.

Then add the screen gain.

For further support, use this thread:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here we don't have screen brands like diamond or something. The screen I have is kind of a small industry that prints those on plastic fiber with some industrial printer and adds a motor to it.
I believe the only way for me to calculate is using a smartphone.

The screen was sold as high contrast that's all the info I know.

Edit: figured it out. It must be a 0.9 or 0.8 gain.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
I'm using the latest? v113 and I own a Benq W1070 1080p projector.

I have copied these settings from a few pages back but adapted to v113.
Could someone just take a look and tell me if this seems correct?

Your display peak luminance should probably be closer to 75 or somewhere in that range. Try that and also try setting the dynamic target nits to 85. See what looks best to your eyes.

You may also want to try setting desaturate to none/disabled.

·
Registered
953 Posts
2.2 Summary of Results
  • Full, Full, Full -- Video Level CORRECT : WtW & BtW Clipped, Single scaling
  • Full, Full, Limited -- Video Level WRONG : Crushed Blacks
  • Full, Limited, Full -- Video Level WRONG : Washed Out Colors
  • Full, Limited, Limited -- Video Level CORRECT : WtW & BtW Clipped, Double scaling
  • Limited, Full, Full -- Video Level WRONG : Washed Out Colors
  • Limited, Full, Limited -- Video Level CORRECT : WtW & BtB preserved, Zero scaling
  • Limited, Limited, Full -- Video Level WRONG : Extreme Washed Out Colors
  • Limited, Limited, Limited -- Video Level WRONG : Washed Out Colors
2.3 Which Combination to Use
Out of the eight combinations, only three have correct video levels by the time they reach the TV:

1. Full,Full,Full -- Both Desktop & Video Content will look correct but video content is also scaled during the Y'CbCr --> RGB color space transformation. BtB & WtW are clipped so calibration will be more difficult
  2. Full, Limited, Limited -- This should be avoided since there are two levels of scaling which will likely cause unnecessary banding.
  3. Limited, Full, Limited -- Best option for embedded video player as there is zero video content scaling during the Y'CbCr --> RGB color space transformation. BtB & WtW are preserved to make calibration easier. If using a Desktop it will look overly dark
With option 3 Limited, Full Limited.

Do you meant Limited (RGB Limited or YCBCR Limited) for the GPU?

Also I assumed madvr will be 0-255 and the projector (JVC) will be Standard (which I believe is Limited)?

If you can please confirm I would really appreciate this. Thank you.

Also would my GPU be in 8bit or 12bit? Thanks

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
speaking of 0-255 and 16-235, i stumbled across something last night that threw me for a loop, am planning to investigate more this evening.... my setup:

2080 ti card set to rgb/full/12-bit
madvr set to pc levels (0-255)
pj (6050ub) set to full (0-255)
pj info confirms pc level input

everything seemed fine when watching a movie but decided to experiment with different setting including changing my pj setting from full (0-255) to limited (16-235) and the results were astonishing - colors became much deeper and vibrant while madvr hdr > sdr tonemapping popped at a new level.

as mentioned i have to do more investigating tonight, but can someone explain why this might happen, brighter/deeper colors when i set my pj to limited?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
speaking of 0-255 and 16-235, i stumbled across something last night that threw me for a loop, am planning to investigate more this evening.... my setup:

2080 ti card set to rgb/full/12-bit
madvr set to pc levels (0-255)
pj (6050ub) set to full (0-255)
pj info confirms pc level input

everything seemed fine when watching a movie but decided to experiment with different setting including changing my pj setting from full (0-255) to limited (16-235) and the results were astonishing - colors became much deeper and vibrant while madvr hdr > sdr tonemapping popped at a new level.

as mentioned i have to do more investigating tonight, but can someone explain why this might happen, brighter/deeper colors when i set my pj to limited?
it clips the image which makes it look like it has more CR.
just open this image or load it in madVR. are the level crushed? you messed up. are the levels visible and the GPU is set to full range you nearly for sure have the correct setting.

edit: maybe i should add the image yes that a brilliant idea: Black level - Lagom LCD test

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,016 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
the thing that I see that makes that kind of difference is changing the color space (i.e. BT.709 vs BT.2020)
yes, i've experimented with 709/2020 too after reading a post where a member set madvr to 2020 and his pj to 2020, didn't work well for me, had to crank down reds on my pj for everything to look ok, but that introduced a slight green hue... have tried every permutation as an experiment, madvr 2020 pj 1709, madvr 2020 pj 2020, madvr 1709 pj 2020 etc....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
just open this image or load it in madVR. are the level crushed? you messed up. are the levels visible and the GPU is set to full range you nearly for sure have the correct setting.

edit: maybe i should add the image yes that a brilliant idea: Black level - Lagom LCD test
thank you very much, much appreciated, will give it a go tonight!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Either - should be the same for this.
Thank you but are you sure? I thought that the limited in the GPU should always be RGB not YCBCR? If you can confirm I'd appreciate that. Also is it best to set the GPU and madVR to 8 or 12bit? Thank you

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

completely crushed, i can only see the bottom row.... with pj set to 0-255 can see all of the boxes....

·
Registered
46 Posts
  1. Full,Full,Full -- Both Desktop & Video Content will look correct but video content is also scaled during the Y'CbCr --> RGB color space transformation. BtB & WtW are clipped so calibration will be more difficult
Can anyone even see any real difference between scaling being done in the color space transform vs not?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
if you don't dither sure but that counts for limited and for full range with 1 single exception black and white.

and Cb and Cr have a range of 16-240 the scaling argument is total rubbish.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I followed this thread pretty closely up until the "big break" in development occurred.

Wondering if since then any signficant advancements have been made in the madvr software that would make it worthwhile upgrading to?

Totally guessing, but my latest version was the one before the development had been paused on it, so I think v13 or something (just after the histogram was mostly ironed out).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does anyone else notice that when a video is paused it keeps going for a split second? It is quite noticeable, and I have never experienced it before I switched to madVR. Other renderers seem to stop on the dot. I tried two different players in case that was the issue, but it's the same (Zoom and MPC-BE).

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Does anyone else notice that when a video is paused it keeps going for a split second? It is quite noticeable, and I have never experienced it before I switched to madVR. Other renderers seem to stop on the dot. I tried two different players in case that was the issue, but it's the same (Zoom and MPC-BE).
I’m assume that’s your madVR render queue.

Lower the number of frames in the queue.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’m assume that’s your madVR render queue.

Lower the number of frames in the queue.
Thanks! I changed "number of frames to present in advance" to "1" and it makes it significantly better, almost instant pause now. Your assistance is appreciated as always!

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Thanks! I changed "number of frames to present in advance" to "1" and it makes it significantly better, almost instant pause now. Your assistance is appreciated as always!
I would consider if instant pausing is more important than the potential for stutter and skipped frames. The render queue is definitely there for a reason.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
that sadly a needed recommended setting for Turing user to a void bugs.

the "number of frames to present in advance" not the render queue to be clear.

9521 - 9540 of 9581 Posts