AVS Forum banner

12761 - 12780 of 12865 Posts

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,684 Posts
That's the problem with HDR, you nailed it, right on the head.
Well, and what settings look best depends heavily on the display they are using since different displays have different capabilities (brightness, contrast, color gamut).

And it also depends on the calibration of the display.

If the gamma is off on your display, you might like extreme shadow recovery, because your gamma might be mis-calibrated and crushing black details otherwise.

Or if your color gamut is not calibrated you might light settings that have more or less color saturation to compensate for your calibration state.

Eve things like the room with how much reflected light there is can really mess with how a projector looks and how much shadow recovery is ideal.

I would normally argue that this is not ideal and you should instead make sure your display is properly calibrated rather than abusing image manipulations to try to compensate. But people are free to do what they like. Others just need to understand that that might be why someone is using some particular settings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have read the thread, tried over and over and this is the final setting. the scenes are brighter and more detailed. the projector I use is the Epson eh-tw9400 and I have a total dark cinema room. No calibration.

·
Registered
885 Posts
hi guys does anyone have a link to latest MADVR version?

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey guys,

currently a very happy madVR user with my 6050UB, but thinking about making the upgrade to an NX5 in the near future. I would still use my HTPC with madVR with the NX5, but would I need to somehow turn off the NX5's tone mapping to avoid that it "overrides" madVR's processing ? Or do they complement eachother in some way ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys,

currently a very happy madVR user with my 6050UB, but thinking about making the upgrade to an NX5 in the near future. I would still use my HTPC with madVR with the NX5, but would I need to somehow turn off the NX5's tone mapping to avoid that it "overrides" madVR's processing ? Or do they complement eachother in some way ?

Thanks !
Hi jorisdriesen
This is really not a big problem. An SDR profile for madVR is simply used at the JVC. A combination is inappropriate and should be avoided. Apart from that, madVR tone mapping is superior to JVC tone mapping. But it can be used for other sources.
Please consider in the future that there is a madVR support thread for such questions.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I believe it is time for a serious question towards madshi:

What are the plans for the future of madVR?

Face it, madVR clearly is a community driven software. It has risen to enormous fame being used by pehaps thousands of home-cinema enthusiasts that build numerous home cinemas around the world with madVR right at the center.

There are two components that actually made the entire Envy project possible in the first place:
  • The quality of the software, coming from madshis outstanding skills in the fields of understanding video processing and his ability as a programmer.
  • Home cinema enthusiasts, who used and spread the software and at some point heavily helped with testing, ideas and making decisions about what to keep and what to discard and with which settings.

The people in this thread only represent the speerhead of users, the small faction which are willing to put massive amounts of time into bringing the software further forward, each for their own reasons. They do not represent the wide user base, which were (and are) an essential part of the above. Without them and their word madVR would not be as known and spread as it currently is, again being a crucial factor for the Envy to have the good start it hopefully has. I alone have left various madVR installations behind among my friends.

Now one could get the impression that madVR changed into a pure test-bed for the commercial product: There are numerous bugs and instabilities that simply "are not priority" anymore, as they used to be. Nowadays one easily gets the feeling that all that counts is testing the new bells and whistles in order to incorporate them into the Envy and once it's done, move on to the next shiny feature whilst not taking care of the overall stability and useability anymore.

I am sure that this would lead to a slow death of madVR. The echo chamber of this thread suggests otherwise but there are enough people out there who are not satisfied with the software anymore and will desperatly start looking for alternatives. The forums are full of people asking for useable settings for the betas, because they don't understand all the switches. Tey would happily use a stripped down stable version but it is just not coming anymore. Many of them (including me) would happily pay for this great product but there is nowhere to buy it. Of course everyone wants to make use of the great quality that has been reached an not equip their home cinema with a stone old version of madVR which lacks the great HDR image quality that everyone has been waiting for for nearly six years, since the first HDR discs became available.

Yes, the software belongs to madshi and he can do with it what he likes. Of course, but the tone has somewhat changed without warning and I am simply asking for this warning now. I remember how important every single tester and every input once was and how friendly they were being treated. Bugs were taken care of, it was important to have a happy user base. Just scroll back in this thread and read.

It has to be ok to ask what is going on and I am doing so with this post.

@madshi I am aware that you are stuck between a rock and a hard place and I am aware that the amount of work taking care of a product like the Envy, having business partners and taking care of madVR and its problems are simply huge. BUT if they are to huge and madVR really has become a pure testbed it would be fair to say so. In any case it would be fair to give a statement about the future plans for madVR because it will make a difference for a great many people that don't use it for toying around but in dead-serious home cinema environments that naturally are trimmed for performance and stability.

One coud claim that all these should just go and buy an Envy but sadly the Envy's price-tag is very high, even when measured against most home cinema equipment. Only a small minority of people can afford projectors for 10k upwards and Trinnov AVRs.

Please don't take this post the wrong way. It's intention is simply to point out that a software as huge as madVR has a lot of ties to it and that a simple statement of the plans for it's future would really help to let all its users know what to expect. At the moment the entire thing is somewhat rumour based.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Development of madvr has been going on for 8 years or so with many, many large gaps between updates and betas. With the Envy, the demands on madshi's time have increased even more. He has always said he will release another stable version some day. Nothing in this thread suggests otherwise, so until madshi says something to the contrary, you can safely believe that he is going to stick to his word as he always has done.

Getting this thread back on topic:

By increasing the brightness speed adjustments across the board significantly (top end is now I think over 3200, for example), I was able to eliminate a number (but not 100%) of the brightness shifting issues we were seeing with 130. But it was enough to let me watch a movie with steepness 150 and hstm enabled without any visible issues.

I've continued to flip back and forth between 150 and @Fer15 's last two curves options. I'm fine with either, as I think are most people. I'd imagine madshi could implement one or both of them and we could move on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nothing in this thread suggests otherwise, so until madshi says something to the contrary, you can safely believe that he is going to stick to his word as he always has done.
The point of me writing these above lines is exactly that a lot of things suggest otherwise, meanwhile. Madshi's words being among them. I am not the one who just goes out and rants around, but I felt it is time for a clear question in hope for a clear answer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The point of me writing these above lines is exactly that a lot of things suggest otherwise, meanwhile. Madshi's words being among them. I am not the one who just goes out and rants around, but I felt it is time for a clear question in hope for a clear answer.
why? enjoy the ride or get off the bus.
maybe you can start a new thread for madVR support for the beta versions since you rightly point out there is little to no documentation or guidance for those just joining other than them helping themselves or continuing to clutter up this thread. you will have something much more constructive to do with your time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Perhaps it would already be helpful if we could have sort of a pinned "recommended settings" post for "milestone betas" in the first post of this thread.

For example, right now this could be settings for beta 128. A post like 12694, for example.

This pinned post could then be updated once in a while by an experienced user (e.g. Neo-XP).

-----
I hope you understand what I mean. My english is rather poor.
-----
And I don't want to get off the bus.
;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello,

first of all sorry that I just put it in the thread for the future and marketing of madvr.
There was a special thread about HDR to SDR tonemapping somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.

Irony off:

@ madshi:
Some time ago I reported that I had problems with jittering and dropped frames with all versions after 120.
You wrote, that this is due to some monitoring functions, and successfully eliminated this problem with version 128.
With 129/130 I have the same problems with dropped frames again.

Even switching from my old GTX 1060 to an RTX 3070 did not help with the dropped frames,
although the card is now bored now.

Have you found an explanation for this in the meantime?

Back to the tested curves.
Since I use a very bright TV, just like apparently "" quitvoit ", I have tested some of its 870 Nit's curves
and always come back to its" r13-870 Nit's "version with [email protected], and
If there was a wish list which curves should be included in the final version, this curve would be at the top of my list for bright TVs.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Hello,

first of all sorry that I just put it in the thread for the future and marketing of madvr.
There was a special thread about HDR to SDR tonemapping somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.

Irony off:

@ madshi:
Some time ago I reported that I had problems with jittering and dropped frames with all versions after 120.
You wrote, that this is due to some monitoring functions, and successfully eliminated this problem with version 128.
With 129/130 I have the same problems with dropped frames again.

Even switching from my old GTX 1060 to an RTX 3070 did not help with the dropped frames,
although the card is now bored now.

Have you found an explanation for this in the meantime?

Back to the tested curves.
Since I use a very bright TV, just like apparently "" quitvoit ", I have tested some of its 870 Nit's curves
and always come back to its" r13-870 Nit's "version with [email protected], and
If there was a wish list which curves should be included in the final version, this curve would be at the top of my list for bright TVs.
I've got the same problem with dropped frames. It is caused by Windows Defender falsly detecting a component as virus and it keeps rechecking it constantly even so I told it to leave it alone for one part but I feel there is more to it than just that.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Perhaps it would already be helpful if we could have sort of a pinned "recommended settings" post for "milestone betas" in the first post of this thread.

For example, right now this could be settings for beta 128. A post like 12694, for example.

This pinned post could then be updated once in a while by an experienced user (e.g. Neo-XP).

-----
I hope you understand what I mean. My english is rather poor.
-----
And I don't want to get off the bus.
;)
A simple change log would be very very useful instead of having to make sure you read each and every post which can be daunting if you missed a whole week.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Development of madvr has been going on for 8 years or so
Tomorrow, April 8, is actually the 12th anniversary of Mathias' first post in the original thread over at doom9 :)

12761 - 12780 of 12865 Posts