AVS Forum banner

12801 - 12820 of 12865 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Hey guys, if you want to discuss the future of madVR HTPC, please start a different thread and point me to it. I will comment in it (though likely only once).

I will not reply in this thread to anything other than the topic of improving tone mapping. If I did, that would just be an open invitation to ask all kinds of questions here. This thread is already long enough as it is. So please let's keep this thread on topic. Thank you.
Can we at least please get a changelog in the first post? Exactly for the reason you say: its long enough.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Can you point the rest of us to it so we can keep this thread on topic but also see what that answer may be?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dwaleke

·
Registered
709 Posts
Any chance you remember when/where he said that? The only statement I could find was pretty vague (something to the effect of MadVR will have some sort of future at some point).
It was about a year ago. I won't even try to find it but there was a point where the curves were close to being finalized, narrowed down to three choices and everyone largely agreed the picture was about as good as it gets. But some people continued to experiment and posting their curves. A year and 30+ betas later, here we are....

To be honest, I don't think the tone mapping ever will be completed, has nothing to do with Madshi or madVR, but rather the underlying issues of HDR and its lack of standards.
Add to that, a varying taste of implementation, different users, different opinions, different setups, equipment/technologies needing different accomodations and different masters.
Basically impossible to 'complete', nothing new there, selling a product like this means it needs to be a set-and-forget solution, none of you could argue that's the current state here.

HDR loses at the end of the day, but that's just me.
Exactly. There is no standard. What looks "good" to one person won't look as good (or at all) to someone else. It's why this thread is a never ending rabbit hole. TBH, all of these updates and new curves offer very minute, almost unnoticeable changes for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Madshi didn't start this thread, so he won't be able to edit someone else's post, and Soulnight haven logged here for almost a year now, and I doubt any moderator here would bother with editing OP every time a new build is posted.

I guess he can add .txt file with the changelog along every new build, but I won't blame him if he doesn't want to bother with it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Madshi didn't start this thread, so he won't be able to edit someone else's post, and Soulnight haven logged here for almost a year now, and I doubt any moderator here would bother with editing OP every time a new build is posted.

I guess he can add .txt file with the changelog along every new build, but I won't blame him if he doesn't want to bother with it.
He‘s got post #10 on page one. If he updated that post and simply added a link there to his signature that would accomplish the same thing (provide an easy way for newcomers and intermittent testers to catch up on progress without asking the same questions over and over, or having to hunt through page after page of the thread).

·
Registered
180 Posts
He‘s got post #10 on page one. If he updated that post and simply added a link there to his signature that would accomplish the same thing (provide an easy way for newcomers and intermittent testers to catch up on progress without asking the same questions over and over, or having to hunt through page after page of the thread).
Neither of those solutions are exactly foolproof, but I guess it would make things more convenient. That said having those builds to be available as easily as possible might not be what he wants, for one reason or the other.

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,055 Posts
Or @mashi could start a new thread with full control as owner and act as moderator more, deleting anything that side-tracks from testing. IMHO, that's the best solution at this point. All discussions concerning how to use 0.92.17, the future of madVR, etc. could be addressed in the other threads with pointers to them.

·
aka jfinnie
5,236 Posts
Or @mashi could start a new thread with full control as owner and act as moderator more, deleting anything that side-tracks from testing. IMHO, that's the best solution at this point. All discussions concerning how to use 0.92.17, the future of madVR, etc. could be addressed in the other threads with pointers to them.
I don't think that's how the forum works :) You don't get to delete posts just because you start the thread, that is for moderators and generally reserved for infractions of forum rules or the most outrageous of off-topic. Unless the thread is on a platform that Madshi controls, like an own forum system.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Exactly. There is no standard. What looks "good" to one person won't look as good (or at all) to someone else. It's why this thread is a never ending rabbit hole. TBH, all of these updates and new curves offer very minute, almost unnoticeable changes for me.
MadVR should include two options when it comes to dynamic tone mapping HDR:

1. User Customizable - Where DTM can be tweaked to suit the viewer's preference on their specific display. Not necessarily reflective of the studio/director's intent. Display may or may not be properly calibrated.

2. Studio Reference -- To best represent an accurate reproduction of the image as the studio/director intended. This assumes a properly calibrated display and is more of a set it and forget it mode to eliminate the guesswork.

Most of us (I know I do) have focused on the former, customizing and tweaking settings to achieve what looks best to our eyes, ergo the myriad of custom curves and preferred settings.

Reactions: ix400

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have read the thread, tried over and over and this is the final setting. the scenes are brighter and more detailed. the projector I use is the Epson eh-tw9400 and I have a total dark cinema room. No calibration. View attachment 3119645

what size screen do u run?

I am running 170'' screen and considering running display peak at 40, DTN at 20.

·
Registered
952 Posts
There's a changelog link in the link of my signature (from b100).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Time for a insignificant update, here's R19.
Barely a difference for high DPL, a bit brighter for lower DPL.

At 130 nits, all curves are brighter but probably more noticeable for 2230/10000 ones.
They also track 1:1 more compared to R18.

If R18 was too bright for you, this is as well.
At this point it's very close to 2 lines only, not too sure if the hybrid makes any difference for the curves other than the 10 000 one.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all- this may seem a dumb question, but I am unable to change the values of "Color Tweaks" and "Highlight Recovery". How can I do this?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hi all- this may seem a dumb question, but I am unable to change the values of "Color Tweaks" and "Highlight Recovery". How can I do this?

View attachment 3120624
You probably have Compromise hdr lumincance On in the Trade quality for performance tab, untick it and u have these settings back.

12801 - 12820 of 12865 Posts