AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best amplified splitter (or other equipment) for my situation?

I am in the basement of a 4 story building. We have access to a cable (video coax cable I think) that is from an antenna on the roof. I'm inputting the OTA signal into a USB PCTV tuner so as to watch OTA broadcasting on my PC.

From the antenna cable end where I am in the basement, the signal must be split 2 ways (1 to me, and 1 to another group in the basement.) I probably won't be able to do anything to the roof antenna, but only modify something down here where I am.

On my PC, I get about 10 analog stations, but only 3 digital. Hence my question:

What can I do to improve reception/signal strength, especially of the higher digital frequencies?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Probably very little can be done at your end. Unless the signal is right on the edge when it gets to the split an amp won't help. Did you try the tuner before the split? If you get more chs before the split then an amp might help - otherwise fixing the buildings' antenna is the only solution. Talk to someone else in building to see how many chs they are getting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
“Probably very little can be done at your end. Unless the signal is right on the edge when it gets to the split an amp won't help.”

At least 1 important channel is on the edge, and a minor improvement in signal would probably bring it in.

"Did you try the tuner before the split?"

The tuner connects USB to my PC, and the split is about 70 ft. away from me. I might be able to try tuning without splitting to the other group nearby temporarily, but it’s probably being split plenty of times in the building before it gets to us down here.

So let’s say I’m going to try for an improvement down where I am (not at the antenna end.) What is the best device(s) to get, and where and how should they be installed?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yqt /forum/post/14280561

I agree with Biker19. Connect the coax directly to the tuner before the splitter, do a channel scan, and compare your results.

Could I just use a coupler (coax connector) instead of the splitter to retest the signal?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts