AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I got my X1 Demo and I love this thing! I think the quality is awesome already, but I want to know if there's anything I can do that would make a noticeable difference from what I currently see.

For one, I'm currently projecting on a textured white wall. So, it's obvious that a screen would be an improvement, but should I use a grey screen or a white screen (I can't spend a lot on the screen though)?

How much screen gain is right for a DLP?

What about filters like the ND filter? I heard some people are getting them. What exactly with a neutral density filter do for my projector and do I need one?

Also, I'm currently using S-Video from my dvd player. How much difference would it make if I got the componet to s-video adapter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
1,130 Posts
I would not characterize it as a huge gain, but get a good progressive scan player with a VGA adapter and a decent, inexpensive manufactured or DIY screen. I don't think the difference will blow you away, but at least you are assured that you are getting the most out of the projector for a minimal investment.

· Registered
807 Posts
a few points ...

nothing wrong w/ a white wall. to make your image noticably better, 1 cheap thing to do is frame it w/ a black border. could be paint, fabric, wood ...

asking what the 'right' gain -- the answer is, 'it depends' -- on your screen size.

you want between 15 - 20 foot-lamberts which is a measure of brightness per area.

the formula is FtL = lumens times screen gain divided by screen area (sq. ft.).

so for me / my x1 & screen of 6'3" x 4'9" (29.7 square feet); it's parkland plastic which is about .9 - 1.0 gain,

so assuming 500 lumens, that's

500 * .9 / 29.7 == 15 Ft/L. if my screen gain is 1.0 then

I've got 16.8 Ft/L ...

so it's a combination of screen size and gain.

be aware that the surrounding paintjob will have a large impact on the perceived brightness of the image. I first shot my X1 onto a white wall -- @ the factory std brightness setting of 50 and it looked good.

then I painted the alcove my screen is in, a dark flat color and suddenly the picuture looked dim! -- some of my perceived brightness was due to reflected light. I had to turn the brightness up to 73.

as far as tuning the image, one way to do it by eye, to bring out dark-scene detail, is to pause such a scene; I used the harry potter scene in the tavern just before entering diagon alley, w/ the Prof and some tankards and barrels dimly in the background. I then worked w/ the contrast and brightness until the background detail came out, and then played bright daylight scenes to make sure they weren't too washed out. repeat a bit but leave well enough alone once you're happy.

-- I've gone thru 2 tuning attempts in the 9 months I've had my X1.

good luck,

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.