AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Sony KF50WE610 with Cablevision as my content supplier and an SA4200HD box. When I first hooked it up, the HDTV channels looked spectacular but the regular SD channels looked only average and the lower end analog channels looked lousy (worse than they looked when I had direct tv). I did an experiment this weekend that produced much improved results for the SD quality. I split the cable and kept one side of the cable for component through the HD box and the other side straight into the coaxial connection bypassing the SA4200 box. While I can't use the guide or get more than basic cable channels on the coaxial connection, the channels that I can get, mostly the low end analog channels including the major networks look far better than they ever looked watching them through the SA4200HD box no matter how I played around with the settings in the box. I'm guessing that I am getting improvement because there is no analog to digital back to analog conversion through the box. Has anyone tried this and gotten similar results??

·
Registered
532 Posts
Many have complained that the analog channels from both the Scientific Atlanta and the Motorola HD boxes are poor. I do the same thing that you do and switch to my TV's tuner when watching analog cable channels.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
If you haven't already, you might also get better images by using you converter's S-video or video-out signals for SDTV and reserve YPbPr out for H/DTV sources. For analog sources, you can't expect a mass-produced converter to change heavily filtered, color/B&W-jumbled NTSC into reasonable component images. NTSC encoding strips away much fidelity to start with. Digital-cable sources, if they're not derived from NTSC-encoded signals or too heavily compressed, may provide suitable component images on some displays. But cable boxes that upconvert 480i digital cable to 1080i via YPbPr may deliver slightly fuzzy, washed-out images. A hookup that displays 480i as 480p rather than 1080i, if your display handles it without any or too much upconversion, may look better. -- John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.