AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still considering a Pearl here, based on price, nice black levels and Sony always seems to resell quick...

1080P looked great from a PC but then demoed with a Dish HD PVR and at 1080i the Pearl seemed it could be better, watched some HD football?

Anyone find a way to improve deinterlacing adjusting the Pearl's settings?

Any video processors suggestions that work well with the Pearl to give 1080i a crisp look?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have had my Pearl for about a week now and it has never really looked soft to me. It is a definite improvement from the Dwin CRT projector it replaced.

Are you sure that overscan was disabled on the Pearl? I know that this will definitely affect the resolution. With it disabled, I had to use blanking to eliminate some "garbage" from the extreme edge of 4:3 SD channels.

John

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT /forum/post/0

Still considering a Pearl here, based on price, nice black levels and Sony always seems to resell quick...

1080P looked great from a PC but then demoed with a Dish HD PVR and at 1080i the Pearl seemed it could be better, watched some HD football?

Anyone find a way to improve deinterlacing adjusting the Pearl's settings?

Any video processors suggestions that work well with the Pearl to give 1080i a crisp look?

ddingle suggests getting a Lumagen HDP processor:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=3&pp=30

Post #80

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I have a Pearl and a Dish ViP622 HD DVR connected via HDMI as well.

What specifically are you seeing that leads you to look at external processing? You specifically mention deinterlacing.

The reason I ask is that the Dish DVR's have a specific limitation in that they don't pass thru native resolution. You set them for a specific resolution, and the DVR scales everything to that. Thus, any 720P programming (and sports many times is) is scaled and interlaced to 1080i for sending to the display.

While I have plenty of issues with Hi Def feeds (namely bitrate starvation causing macroblocking... especially with fast moving sports), when I've watched a good 1080i HD feed (HDMV channel is pretty good), I've not seen any specific deinterlacing problems I can attribute to the Pearl.

Greg Rogers indicated that the on-board processing was pretty good as well.

I just thought it may be useful to explore what your Dish box is doing before you drop some $$$ by concluding it must be the Pearl.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve - just comparing a HD Football picture and the PVR menus on the Pearl to a Mits HC5000. The Mits produced a sharper a image, so I concluded the difference must be processing 1080i to 1080p in the projectors?

It could be the higher fill ratio of the Sony compared to the Mits results in more bleeding with adjacent pixels where convergence is not perfect. On the Mits with the lower fill ratio, misconvergence can just fill the empty space, but on the Sony there is such little empty space around pixels that any misconvergence causes colors to bleed resulting in a softer looking image?

The overall movie experience is better on the Sony with its deeper blacks, but the image is not as crisp. I'm coming from a NEC DLP so I'm used to a sharp image, the Sony does have less eyestain with no color wheel, but pixel perfection is lost.

DLP - perfectly sharp, nice blacks and contrast, some eyestrain.

LCD - perfectly sharp, weaker blacks, greens/yellows can look a lime color

SXRD - somewhat softer, nice blacks and contrast, reds seem to push.

Just can 't win?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It will be hard to fix a deinterlacing problem with any user settings. Some settings may mask what is going on a bit, but usually by making the picture less sharp so that moir and "jaggies" are less noticable...just the opposite of what you are looking for. In my experience with the Pearl (about 3 months), it is much happier with a progressive signal. Frankly, I think that the 720p output from both my Motorola cable box and the OPPO dvd player at normal viewing distance looks better than either outputting 1080i. The Pearl will benefit greatly from true 1080p sources. I intent to also try the new OPPO just released which upscales and outputs standard dvd to 1080p for a very reasonable cost. While the deinterlacer in the Pearl has been classed as "good" to "very good", I don't think anyone has called it "excellent" and I would agree. That is why an excellent outboard scaler/deinterlacer like to Lumagen or DVDO would probably help. Would it be worth the extra expense, however, is a question only you can answer after a comparison. Another issue could be, as discussed by others, the overscan feature. Make sure it is "off" when making comparisons. Further, the focus adjustment on the Pearl is very tricky. Most people thing that it is not moving when you don't hold it down but merely tap it, so they tend to hold it. This causes a fairly large movement. Small taps do apparently move the lens, but by very small amounts. While it takes patience, small taps can sharpen focus. The other main issue on Pearls is the amount of mis-convergence. This tends to vary a lot from sample to sample and if the sample you looked at was in the "greater mis-convergence" catagory, especially with a very close-up view this can markedly affect preceived "sharpness". Properly focussed, however, a machine with less than one pixel mis-convergence in any direction to me is one of the most "film-like" digital images out there. I too come from a CRT projector. I am also a film buff. To me, too many of the DLP's looked almost "ecthed' or exaggeratedly sharp compared to film and life. Again, it is a matter of taste. If you equate "sharp" with almost etched edges, then SRDX may not excite you. If you equate "sharp" with an abundance of detail, but a less "digital" reproduction, properly set up the Pearl is a great value and a great picture. It is similar to the initial audiofile controversy over CD's. Many found the sound too bright, etched and therefore "cold" in comparison to LP'S. I think you are right... you just can't win.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I am so torn these days. the Pearls are down in price, and the Epson can be imported.

I actually like what I am hearing about the Pearl in general and I can order it right up. The extra brightness I percieve that may be possible with the Epson is a big draw for me.

I think I may favor it over others that are percieved sharper.

I short what I am saying is. "I agree, you can't win"

·
Registered
78 Posts
John

I have read all the reviews and the conflicting test figures for the Pearl as regards brightness. What I can personally say is that my room has dark walls and floor, but white cieling. I have a set of patio doors and 2 windows on the side wall. I am using a 106" Carada BW with a stated gain of 1.4 and I do not have black-out shades on the windows. The Pearl is mounted twards the short end of its throw distance, which increases screen brightness. At night I can and frequently do watch tv, sports and games with one or two table lamps on with no problem and a subjectively good picture in low lamp mode. I can shut the blinds during the day and do the same thing. Increasing the lamp mode to high on a bright day is sometimes helpful but not necessary to enjoy standard and HD tv. Of course I leave critical movie watching to nite with no lights. Generally, I have had no problem with the brightness of the Pearl and first-time viewers are amazed at its ability to provide a great picture with some light in the room. I should also note the bulb only has about 150 hours on it. Still, before deciding against the Pearl, make sure you see it properly calibrated in a reasonable environment. Good luck and have fun with the process!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
My current projector is a light cannon.

But I also am not a fan of DLP in general. I really like the more LCD like picture. Things just seem more natural to me on them.

I did just find out from the accountant that I was getting back more than I expected on my federal tax return. So one of these is going to be a reality.

The biggest problem with the Pearl is that I am a cheapskate and the imported Epson still comes out a couple a hundred cheaper than the best deal I can find on the Pearl. I've improted a few things from Japan, it has always went well so far, but there is always that first time for everything. I'd be a basket case if my projector did not show up as expected, when it was expected, I know it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't seen the Epson, but for a couple of hundred on this size purchase is it worth the potential hassels of importing? I bought locally and, while I haven't needed it, it is very nice to know that if I do have problems help is just a call away. Bought a 46"lcd online to get a great price, but by the time I hung it, it died, I took it down, shipped it back and hasselled with the seller, the savings didn't seem worth it. Again, I am a very satisfied Pearl owner, but displays are like art and music....very subjective and everyone has a different preferrence for their "perfect picture". The best advice I can give is try to find a well set up demo of some of your front runners and then trust your eye! Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.