AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm on a relatively tight budget and have been slowly and thoughtfully putting together a home theater. I was out on Black Friday with no intention of buying speakers when - lo and behold - I came across a deal on speakers. However, I'm interested in others opinions about how good a deal I really got. I know some components are cheaper individually (say via Amazon), but there is a deal now for a free PSW111 sub if you purchase at least $500 in components, so mixing dealers doesn't work.

All components are Polk Audio:

2 RTi8's for fronts - $348 for the pair.

1 CS10 for center - $170.

2 RB150's for rears - $60 for the pair.

1 PSW111 for sub - Free.

Total cost $578 plus tax.

I'm in no rush to have speakers now (I don't even have a projector yet), so if this isn't a particularly good deal, I'm fine with returning them and waiting. (There is a 14 day return policy). But I don't want to let a great price get away. Thoughts?

FYI, they will be used in a 15x18 foot dedicated home theater room.

Also, I assume the sub is too small to produce bone rattling bass, but will it be sufficient for a decent theater experience given the room size?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Polk hasn't been known for their subs. Maybe sell it and apply the money towards a better sub?

As far as the speakers, if they sound good to you keep them. Just over $500 for a setup with towers ain't bad.

A quick look from google and I'd say you did well. I'd hold on to them and get a better sub.

As an aside, I picked up a pair of Polk bookshelves from best buy for $50 on black Friday. For what I spent, I can't say I'm displeased and sound just fine to listen to pandora on iPhone in my bedroom.

·
Registered
255 Posts
just be aware that the Center does not match the Towers. The center is for the current TSI series, while the RTI 8 is an older series that matches to the current RTiA series. I wonder why they didn't add in a correct matching Center. , and the PSW 11 with the RTI speakers is not likely to impress.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu /forum/post/19565606

All components are Polk Audio:

2 RTi8's for fronts - $348 for the pair.

1 CS10 for center - $170.

2 RB150's for rears - $60 for the pair.

1 PSW111 for sub - Free.

Total cost $578 plus tax.

Um the CS10 was $99 last time I checked.

Also the RTi8's don't match the Polk CS10 or Polk CS20 center.

You need a Polk CSi 3 or CSi5

·
Registered
29,117 Posts
I think he bought the CS10 and whole package in store, not online which is why he paid so much for the center. It helped get him the free sub though.

Is it possible to go back and get the matching center?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, overpaid for the center in order to get the overall deal. I know the center doesn't match the towers, but I listened at the store and frankly my ear apparently isn't good enough to notice much of a difference. The centers sounded a lot different when playing alone, but once mixed in with the towers, the difference, to me, was minimal - I didn't notice any striking tonal differences.

I could sell the sub, but I'm guessing there will be a lot of them floating around due to the current promotion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts