AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a couple great fleabay deals on a DEQ2496 and DCX2496 ($120 shipped for the DEQ and $160 shipped for the DCX). I was certain I "needed" to have at least the DCX around for all of its' uses but once I got it in house I realized I have no clue what to actually use this for.

I'm thinking for the DCX I'll look for a cheap 6 channel amp and maybe try some active mains, anyone know of any deals out there currently?

What about the DEQ? This was a true impule, I don't even really know what this thing can do that my BFD doesn't

I suppose I should RTFM

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
The DEQ is great for quick RTA measurements of your system (you'll need a mic). And if you want to install it permanently it'll work well as a 2 channel room equalizer.

The DCX is for running running an active speaker system (or at least prototyping with active xovers before building passive xovers).

So if you want to use both - feed the signal into the DEQ first, then from DEQ to DCX, then DCX to amps, and finally amps to speakers.

PS damn you on your ebay purchases - I'd been on a hunt for a DCX2496 at sub $180 for a while now.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/16930937

PS damn you on your ebay purchases - I'd been on a hunt for a DCX2496 at sub $180 for a while now.

Lucky break, $140 buy it now + $20 shipping
DEQ deal was so good because they didn't put "DEQ2496" in the title...

Saved searches and using the watch list has really improved my eBay efficiency, and auctionstealer.com has increased my impulse buys (thanks Penn, I no longer have to remember to bid!)

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Sweet deal.... now you need some RCA>XLR cables and maybe some XLR>RCA cables if you are going to use amps with RCA inputs.

What I use the DCX 2496 for: I route main L and R into it, as well as sub out from receiver. I then have outputs for sub, left and right main channels ( you can use 4 of the channels for a 2 way active main if you want ) and then you can also have one channel for a mid-bass module if you like to experiment with that.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd /forum/post/16930995

Sweet deal.... now you need some RCA>XLR cables and maybe some XLR>RCA cables if you are going to use amps with RCA inputs.

What I use the DCX 2496 for: I route main L and R into it, as well as sub out from receiver. I then have outputs for sub, left and right main channels ( you can use 4 of the channels for a 2 way active main if you want ) and then you can also have one channel for a mid-bass module if you like to experiment with that.

Now you're talking
Set the front L&R as full range on the AVR and use the DCX to handle the crossover to the sub (can it then sum the AVR subwoofer signal with the content below the crossover on the left and right channels?). I could spend HOURS playing with that

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym /forum/post/16931528

You're going to love the DCX2496. Go download the software from Behringer's site. It's pretty intuitive.

Since I've got my DCX, I've dumped my BFD.

How dumb am I... I didn't even realize there was software!? Downloading now.

Edit: Looks like I'll need a USB to RS232 cable, anything I should be looking out for with these? I see quite a few on eBay for $3 shipped but I know nothing about these...

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/16931663

How dumb am I... I didn't even realize there was software!? Downloading now.

lol, I downloaded it but never used it once yet.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
It's a lot easier than using the front panel controls, IMO.

Double-check your firmware version too. There hasn't been a new DCX rev for quite a while, but if you've picked up an older unit you never know.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/16932570

It's a lot easier than using the front panel controls, IMO.

Double-check your firmware version too. There hasn't been a new DCX rev for quite a while, but if you've picked up an older unit you never know.

Define easier,

The front is extremely easy, no need to get the notebook hooked up, stop the spectrum analysis that Im usually running, ec.

Not saying the software isnt easy but using the DCX is a breeze even without it.

Finding a USB to RS232 is another pain for me...I have one in use but I need to buy another one. DCX should have a USB connection.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorLabs /forum/post/16936384

Doesn't a MIDI to usb cable also work for interfacing the DCX with the PC?

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Midisp.../dp/B00007JRBM

Hmm, the DCX manual only mentions the RS232 port or RS285 (or something like that) port on the front. I'll have to check it out though, I already have a USB to MIDI cable that's long enough that I use for the DSP1124.

I'm looking at picking up an ECM8000 to use with the DEQ. I suppose if I'm going to spend $50 on one I may as well spend $85 on a calibrated one from the link over at HTS.

Quick question, does the ECM8000 hook right into your sound card for use with REW (like the RS meter) or would I need a mic preamp? If I need something what's everyone using for a budget solution (if I need more equipment the price between one on eBay and a calibrated one gets larger)?

·
Registered
725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/16936634

Hmm, the DCX manual only mentions the RS232 port or RS285 (or something like that) port on the front. I'll have to check it out though, I already have a USB to MIDI cable that's long enough that I use for the DSP1124.

I'm looking at picking up an ECM8000 to use with the DEQ. I suppose if I'm going to spend $50 on one I may as well spend $85 on a calibrated one from the link over at HTS.

Quick question, does the ECM8000 hook right into your sound card for use with REW (like the RS meter) or would I need a mic preamp? If I need something what's everyone using for a budget solution (if I need more equipment the price between one on eBay and a calibrated one gets larger)?

You need to provide phantom power for the ECM8000 to work. A mic preamp would do or you could get an all-in-one solution like the E-MU 0404 or M-Audio Mobile Pre USB which would work as sound card and mic amp. I have a Mobile Pre USB and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:

If your PC has digital audio in you should be able to hook the mic to the DEQ (acting as a preamp and ADC) and the DEQ to your PC.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/16937099

If your PC has digital audio in you should be able to hook the mic to the DEQ (acting as a preamp and ADC) and the DEQ to your PC.

Just wanted to drop back in and thank everyone for the input. I now have a stack of cables and other equipment on the way

I picked up the August special calibrated ECM8000 over at HTS, the XLR cables Michael linked, a couple component cables from monoprice (to create XLR -> RCA cables), a 25' toslink cable from monoprice (to use the DEQ2496 as the mic preamp), a USB -> RS232 cable and 25' RS232 cable extender from monoprice to interface with the DCX2496, and an Onkyo 705 to use as amplification for active mains.

I should have everything I need to take on an active main setup... everything except the drivers anyway. That'll have to wait until next month though, my budget's shot!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Give the Dynamic EQ a try as well. I've been playing with it and it works quite well... it's like the Audyssey but with more flexibility.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds /forum/post/16990947

Give the Dynamic EQ a try as well. I've been playing with it and it works quite well... it's like the Audyssey but with more flexibility.

Never tried it yet myself. I have Dynamic EQ with Audyssey.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
It's quite nifty. You can choose what frequencies you want to boost, how you want to boost them (Shelving or PEQ), at what volume levels the boost cuts in or out, and how aggressive you want it to be.

I've been pondering upgrading from the Onkyo 885 to 886 partly to get Dynamic EQ and this has given me pause.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds /forum/post/16991859

It's quite nifty. You can choose what frequencies you want to boost, how you want to boost them (Shelving or PEQ), at what volume levels the boost cuts in or out, and how aggressive you want it to be.

I've been pondering upgrading from the Onkyo 885 to 886 partly to get Dynamic EQ and this has given me pause.

Cool, I'll have to check it out once I get everything setup.

I'm still not quite sure where I'll stick the DEQ in the mix, the more I think about it the more I realize there isn't really a permanent place to put it. Right now I've got:

Onkyo 805 -> speakers (5 channels)

Onkyo 805 -> BFD -> EP2500 -> subs

When I move to active mains I'll have:

Onkyo 805 -> DCX2496 -> Onkyo 705 -> speakers (front stage - left, right, center)

Onkyo 805 -> speakers (surrounds)

(the sub signal will stay the same)

Any thoughts? If it doesn't really fit anywhere I could just use it in place of the BFD.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.