AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
DD 5.1 is mixed for front and side speakers. There are HD television uses DD5.1. Most recent SD DVDs are in DD5.1.

There is no specific rear channel information in these soundtracks, except for DD EX disks.

So you could say that there is no rear surround information in DD5.1 sources. However DD Prologic IIx derrives a good deal of information from the side surround channels for such things as fly-bys and off screen ambient sounds. So when there is sound at the sides there is usually sound at the back.

I would say that though that the information is primarilly in side channels and that most of the time the back channels add a sense of envelopment by the sound field; enough so that you can sit behind the line of the side surrounds and still locate discreate info in the side and front channels.

Why do you ask? 5.1 setup vs 7.1? Speaker quality?

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karos /forum/post/12937465

Which speaker set would typically carry more information-the sides or rears?

Just to be redundant on top of trekguy, if you are only listening in 5.1, then obviously the side surrounds, as the rears will have nothing.

But, if you are applying, for example, PLIIx, then the surround info will be spread fairly evenly to all 4 surround speakers. Because of the way PLIIx works, it depends upon the exact amount of the particular intended effects that are present.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy /forum/post/12939334

Why do you ask? 5.1 setup vs 7.1? Speaker quality?

tnx for your illuminating reply. i am thinking of going to 7.1 as more and more soundtracks will be mixed with dd+ and truehd as well as the dts equivalent. i have seen formats come and go (sacd, dvd audio, etc) but with the mass market moving to bluray and hidef, they will want to differentiate themselves from dvd not only with better video, but better audio. so i think the 7.1 will be a plus. in terms of speaker quality, i was thinking another pair of stratus minis but because my room is long and narrow (14ft x 27 feet) i think dipole surrounds would be better aand put the stratus minis in the back.

Hippocrates also said 'pan metrion ariston'

everything in moderation

but then again he never experienced high def audio and video.

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karos /forum/post/12942295

i am thinking of going to 7.1 as more and more soundtracks will be mixed with dd+ and truehd as well as the dts equivalent

................but with the mass market moving to bluray and hidef, they will want to differentiate themselves from dvd not only with better video, but better audio

.................i think dipole surrounds would be better

If you are really interested in fully enjoying the new codecs, forget dipoles. Monopoles all around.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If your viewing/listening position can accommodate it, I don't see any reason not to go 7.1.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I hope I am not thread jacking but I had the same question also. The reason I need to know is because I am running polk monitor 30's and CS2 center for my current 5.1. I do not have the money for 2 extra speakers now but I wanted to temporarily wire in a set of sony satellites. Should the cheaper speakers go side or rear surround?

·
Registered
29,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk /forum/post/12947080

I do not have the money for 2 extra speakers now but I wanted to temporarily wire in a set of sony satellites. Should the cheaper speakers go side or rear surround?

The side speakers are adjacent to your front L/R speakers. The sound from the fronts and sides will combine to create phantom imaging between them (along your side walls), expanding the soundstage and drawing it into the room. You want that transition (from front to side) to be as tonally seamless as possible. So use the side speakers that sound closest to your fronts (Polk monitors). Use the ones that sound different (Sony satellites) for the speakers behind you, where our human hearing is not so good anyway.

Sanjay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts