AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, Anybody have an idea on how to get wrinkles out of blackout liner? Im using it as a temporary screen (while building and testing theater), but I'd still like to get the wrinkles out of it. I was leary about trying to iron it (rubberized fabric), but I tried it on a test piece. Ended up turning the iron to highest setting - with steam! - and still not a dent!?! Even wet the fabric then ironed; wrinkles still there. Just now thought about buying some starch.. ?? Maybe. Any thoughts much appreciated. [Oh yeah, screen is on electric roller with weighted bottom bar (98" wide) - it's not a stretch-til-smooth on frame situation.]

Thanx much.

(FYI: While you 'can' iron the stuff, you have to be careful not to stretch it while you do because the heat can distort the fabric.)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I had to stretch the crap out of mine and staple it to a wood frame. So many staples that I had to get a pneumatic upholstery stapler to do the job (not that needing more tools is a bad thing). I know that doesn't help your roll up situation, but just wanted to relay my experience.

You might post in the DIY screen forum, and Welcome to AVS!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Try this:

I'm not familiar with blackout liner, so it might not act at all like Sportlite nylon, which is what I used to make my screen. When I notice wrinkles, I get a spray bottle of warm water (cold probably works too) and apply a light mist in the wrinkled area. As it dries, it tends to shrink a bit more than the original size, and then there are no wrinkles. I first noticed this when I used a damp cloth to wipe the screen.

I do have a framed screen, so maybe a roll-up won't act the same, even if the cloth does dry and shrink a bit. Maybe you could try it on a scrap first.

Good luck. Tom.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.