AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I bought a pair of speakers, one active, one passive. The active one takes all the inputs and power, then powers the second via speaker wire. I had initially thought that the LEFT speaker was the active one, as it says "right channel output" on the speaker. That makes me think it means the output TO the right speaker. In testing, it's clear that the RIGHT speaker is the active one.

This is a problem for me, as I need my left speaker to be the active one --- it is near power, and where the inputs are coming from. My right speaker is placed on the opposite side of the room and there is no power nearby.

It's kind of a nonstandard room setup. My speakers are to my left and to my right, facing me:

L Ch =======> Me

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
It would be really helpful if you would tell us what make and model your speakers are?

The easy solution would be to reverse the inputs to the powered speaker. The only way it knows what is "right" or "left" is by which port they are plugged into.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox  /t/1467904/in-active-passive-speake...lso-any-way-to-reverse-channels#post_23194396

It would be really helpful if you would tell us what make and model your speakers are?

The easy solution would be to reverse the inputs to the powered speaker. The only way it knows what is "right" or "left" is by which port they are plugged into.

Sorry -- Kanto Yumi's. The input is Optical to the powered speaker, so I don't think reversing the inputs is an option unfortunately.

Also, I use these for Bluetooth as well. I would think my only option would be to alter the internal speaker somehow, if that's even possible.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Actually, they are both considered to be active (powered) speakers, because the amplifiers are integral to the set of speakers and they are both powered by them.

The fact that the amplifier module is physically located in one speaker enclosure does not make one active and one passive. It just means that the speaker wires are inside one speaker and outside to the other one.

I can't imagine why you can't simply switch their positions. Just ignore the labeling and reverse them.

The one that has the amplifier module will weigh more than the other one, huh?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1467904/in-active-passive-speake...lso-any-way-to-reverse-channels#post_23195166

Actually, they are both considered to be active (powered) speakers, because the amplifiers are integral to the set of speakers and they are both powered by them.

The fact that the amplifier module is physically located in one speaker enclosure does not make one active and one passive.

I can't imagine why you can't simply switch their positions. Just ignore the labeling and reverse them.

The one that has the amplifier module will weigh more than the other one, huh?

I'm not sure that is correct. It states on the product description that there is a passive speaker, and an active speaker:
http://www.kantospeakers.com/collections/yumi/products/yumi-matte-black

I wish I could just change the location, but they are quite far apart, and I would need to run a 20ft optical cable as well as a power extension cord through my ceiling if I swapped them. That's why I am in this predicament.

The power and inputs are located directly next to my left(technically right) speaker. The right speaker ONLY has inputs for speaker wire coming from my left speaker.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
You say that the problem is that there is no power near the right speaker;... but it does not need power!

How is that a problem?

All you need to do is run speaker wire from one to the other, so it sounds like running that pair of wires is the only thing you have to do.

When a SET of speakers incorporates a pair of amplifiers, that is considered to be a PAIR OF POWERED SPEAKERS.

It is pretty obvious that the amplifier module is in the speaker that has an AC power cord/connection. How can it be otherwise?

Put the one that has an AC cord where the power is, and run speaker wire to the other one.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1467904/in-active-passive-speake...lso-any-way-to-reverse-channels#post_23195242

You say that the problem is that there is no power near the right speaker;... but it does not need power!

How is that a problem?

All you need to do is run speaker wire from one to the other, so it sounds like running that pair of wires is the only thing you have to do.

When a SET of speakers incorporates a pair of amplifiers, that is considered to be a PAIR OF POWERED SPEAKERS.

It is pretty obvious that the amplifier module is in the speaker that has an AC power cord/connection. How can it be otherwise?

My right speaker DOES need power. It is an active speaker. My left speaker is a passive speaker.

Please look at this image:

You will see that one speaker has all the inputs, and the other ONLY has speaker-wire input, which comes from the ACTIVE speaker. The problem is that the active speaker HAS to be the right speaker, that's how they were designed.

My problem is that the inputs and power are located near the LEFT speaker. So I cannot just switch them. They are not connected to an AVR.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
PUT THE ONE WITH THE POWER CORD WHERE THE POWER IS!!!!

THAT IS NOW YOUR LEFT SPEAKER.

IGNORE ANY LEFT/RIGHT LABELING.

JUST REVERSE THE SIGNAL INPUT CONNECTIONS (LEFT TO RIGHT AND VICE-VERSA).

NO PROBLEM.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeApOn  /t/1467904/in-active-passive-speake...lso-any-way-to-reverse-channels#post_23195267

You will see that one speaker has all the inputs, and the other ONLY has speaker-wire input, which comes from the ACTIVE speaker. The problem is that the active speaker HAS to be the right speaker, that's how they were designed.

This is only true if you use the optical connection (as you have been planning). If you use the RCA connections instead then you can choose to reverse the polarity (as commsysman suggested).
Quote:
My problem is that the inputs and power are located near the LEFT speaker. So I cannot just switch them. They are not connected to an AVR.

The problem is the location combined with your desire to use the optical.

As I see it you have two choices:

a) use RCA and reverse polarity of inputs

b) get a long optical and extension cord.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1467904/in-active-passive-speake...lso-any-way-to-reverse-channels#post_23195312

PUT THE ONE WITH THE POWER CORD WHERE THE POWER IS!!!!

THAT IS NOW YOUR LEFT SPEAKER.

IGNORE ANY LEFT/RIGHT LABELING.

JUST REVERSE THE SIGNAL INPUT CONNECTIONS (LEFT TO RIGHT AND VICE-VERSA).

NO PROBLEM.

You must not be reading what I am saying. I am NOT using swappable cables(RCA), and I am NOT using an AVR. The right speaker HAS TO BE the active speaker. I am also using BLUETOOTH, which means switching cables would do nothing. The only way to achieve what I am trying to do would be to re-wire the internal speaker system. That is what I am asking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1467904/in-active-passive-speake...lso-any-way-to-reverse-channels#post_23195361

This is only true if you use the optical connection (as you have been planning). If you use the RCA connections instead then you can choose to reverse the polarity (as commsysman suggested).

The problem is the location combined with your desire to use the optical.

As I see it you have two choices:

a) use RCA and reverse polarity of inputs

b) get a long optical and extension cord.

You are exactly correct. These are my two options. The problem is my output device(TV) ONLY has optical out. If I want to use RCA I would need a DAC. That's something I would like to avoid. Option b is also something I would like to avoid.

HOWEVER, just got off the phone with the speaker manufacturer.

UPDATE FROM MANUFACTURER:

There is a defect with this unit, there is a wiring fault which causes the channels to be swapped. This is being fixed in our next revision.

I knew when I originally talked to this manufacturer that they said the left speaker was the active, so I was quite confused when this started happening. Looks like it will be solved with a revision. Until then I will deal with the situation, as there are no viable options for me.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts