AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

For a little over 4 years, we've loved our 50" Pioneer Elite Pro-1120 HD. We moved to Anguilla, a small island in the Caribbean, a little over a year ago and shipped it with us.

One of the problems of living on the sea is salt corrosion and there are steady trades that run through our home. So how long the plasma would survive was always a worry.

A few months ago, the bottom left corner of the screen (about 1/8th of the screen surface area) turned white. It would change from white to various pixellated colors. It did that for a few days, got steadily better, and then never did that again. So we just kind of forgot all about it and hoped it would never come back. And it never did.

About a month ago, I went to turn on the screen as usual, and this time, it came on for about a second (no picture, just a light gray), and then went off. The little green light to the right of the screen's on/off button flashes twice and then is off for about 5 seconds. Then it repeats that cycle.

it does the same if I try to turn it on via the media receiver (PRO-RO5U).

We asked Pioneer Support was that was likely to be. They said it was probably the power supply board. My wife was headed to New York for a few days, so bought one and brought it home.

The local plasma repair person came over. The inside was remarkably corrosion-free, aside from the transformer. He replaced the power supply board. We held our breath. Hooked it all back up.

And... it did the same thing. "On" or a second, then it turns itself off. Then it goes into the green light cycle (the support person keeps asking me if the light is blue, but it's not -- it's green).

We've tried all the standard things... unplugging everything, checking connections, etc., etc. I hate to give up on this since the picture was just so amazing.

Pioneer Support is stuck, no ideas.

Does anyone know what the matter might be? Could it be the media receiver? I could buy a replacement on eBay and try that. But they aren't cheap, even on eBay and Pioneer Support doubts that it is the problem.

Are there just so many possibilities at this point that it would take a pro to fix?

I've scoured through Google and have not been able to find this exact problem, but I did find this forum for just about every search.

Do I have to thank my Pioneer for 4 years of faithful service an entertainment and buy a new one? I'd take it to an authorized Pioneer service location, but the nearest one is Miami. The disadvantage of isolation.

Thanks very much for any feedback you can give, very much appreciated. :)

All the best,

Ken

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I noticed 109 views, but no posts with ideas. I'll bump this once, just in case someone sees this today and has an idea.

We love it here on Anguilla, but we're kind of stuck when it comes to getting something like this diagnosed. If we know what's wrong, there is a person on the island who can fix, though (ex., the power supply board -- it's too bad that didn't work).

I arranged to buy a PRO-RO6U media receiver at a good price from a friend who owns an AV store and has had it lying around. He's shipping it from Montreal, so we'll give that a try.

If it fails though (and Pioneer Support did not think the problem lies there, but did confirm that the 6U is compatible), does anyone have any idea what else it could be?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

All the best,

Ken

P.S. Geez, if the media receiver doesn't fix it, I've got two major components of the Elite and nothing to do with them. If I can get this running, on the other hand, we should be good for repairs for a while! ;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I don't know if the Pro-ro6u will work for your application. I just seen a Pro-ro5u for sale on e-bay. That may take care of your problem. I on the other hand have a problem with a Pro-ro6u. When the set is turned on it show a picture saying please wait plasma loading. So if the Pro-ro6u doesn't fix your problem and you are able to acquire the Pro-ro5u. Maybe we could work something out. Either way I hope you find it helpful. If you have any information on what my problem maybe and how to fix it I would appreciate it.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts